Don Quixote

Chris Hanburger Elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame

Chris Hanburger, a perennial force at linebacker for the Redskins from 1965 through 1978, was elected on Saturday to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as one of the seven enshrinees of the Class of 2011. Hanburger went to nine Pro Bowls, a franchise record, and earned first-team All-NFL honors five times in his career. He was named as one of the 70 Greatest Redskins in 2002.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6093495

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Great_Hanburger_Elected_Into_Hall_of_Fame_190746.jsp

Deion Sanders, who played for the Redskins in 2000, also was elected.

• Thanks 1

Chris Hanburger, a perennial force at linebacker for the Redskins from 1965 through 1978, was elected on Saturday to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as one of the seven enshrinees of the Class of 2011. Hanburger went to nine Pro Bowls, a franchise record, and earned first-team All-NFL honors five times in his career. He was named as one of the 70 Greatest Redskins in 2002.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6093495

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Great_Hanburger_Elected_Into_Hall_of_Fame_190746.jsp

Deion Sanders, who played for the Redskins in 2000, also was elected.

Danny-Boy will probably sue him thinking his name infringes on the hamburgers served and the hamburger contract at FedEx.

I'd love to see highlights of Hanburger. Everyone who watched him play say he was a devastating hitter.

I love watching his clips. It seems like all of the highlights of him would be illegal hits in today's game. Congratulations to him. The Redskins have had a nice run on the HOF these past few years.

Deion never played for the Redskins. Didn't happen. :P

o

I'm 8 years late to this thread, but I want to chime in on an all-time great linebacker.

I remember Hanburger ALWAYS would be calling timeouts late in the game when his team was trailing and needed to conserve time for his offense when they got the ball back (or late in the first half, when he wanted to give his offense a chance to get the ball back and score before the half ended.)

It pisses me off to no end when I'm watching NFL football, where players and coaches that have been eating, drinking, and breathing football for their entire lives screw that up, game after game, year after year. The clock is ticking, and players look over at the bench like, "Duh, coach. Should we call timeout?" And the head coaches are equally (ir)responsible for not having these morons trained and educated on such a fundamental and integral part of the game. You either call the timeout immediately, or you don't call it all, and save it for the next play from scrimmage. And of course, their indecisiveness and lack of awareness often winds up giving them the worst of both worlds, letting 7-10 seconds run off the clock AND burning a TO. 

Also, Chris Hanburger went to 9 Pro Bowls in a 14-season career between 1965 and 1978 ........ that was a record for players NOT in the Hall of Fame, yet he was snubbed each and every year that he was eligible between 1984 and 1998 in his initial/regular window of eligibility.

o