Sports Guy

Conference tourneys thread

Louisville beats ND.

Am I the only one who is glad about that? I am so tired about hearing about ND...Maybe its because they have the other Hansbrough. :D

Louisville/UCONN for the Big East championship.

Louisville beats ND.

Am I the only one who is glad about that? I am so tired about hearing about ND...Maybe its because they have the other Hansbrough. :D

Louisville/UCONN for the Big East championship.

I'm glad because it pretty much guarantees that if UNC or Duke wins the ACC Tourney, they get the final 1 seed.

I'm glad because it pretty much guarantees that if UNC or Duke wins the ACC Tourney, they get the final 1 seed.

I wonder if there is any chance that they both get a 1 seed?

Still upset about the loss to Dayton this afternoon. I'll post a run-down of the A-10 tournament later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Well, here it is.

Dayton 68, Xavier 67. The Flyers jumped out to a 21-3 lead after not missing any shots. Their up-tempo game and strong defense kept this lead up until midway through the first half, when their shots ran cold and the Musketeers' offense heated up. In the second half, Dayton was able to mount their lead again to 15, only to be thwarted by Tu Holloway and Co. X took the lead after an AND 1 to Holloway, but the Flyers took control after two foul shots on a questionable foul (not going to get into it...personally I think the guy flopped). Holloway led the Muskies with 23 points, while Wright led the Flyers with 15. Dayton ended shooting 52% and 57% from 3 point land.

Temple 96, LaSalle 76. The Owls dominate Atlantic City. While LaSalle held with them for 10 minutes, Temple got out to a commanding lead and didn't look back. Ramone Moore led the way with 23 points.

St. Joseph's 93, Duqesne 90. The Hawks will never die. After beating Charlotte in the regular season to determine who would make the A-10 Tournament, St. Joe's has now defeated 5. GW and 4. Duquesne. This game was close the entire way, but sophomore Carl Jones was a key contributor to the Hawks, scoring 28.

Richmond 55, Rhode Island 45. Despite shooting 32% and 19% from 3, the Spiders reach the semifinals. Kevin Anderson led the way with 21 points. Don't let the score fool you; Rhode Island was in this game until they had to start fouling.

And here's a look at today's semifinal games and how they might impact the NCAA Tournament.

9. Dayton vs. 12. St. Joseph's. I'm shocked by both of these teams being in the semis. Hell, I was shocked St. Joe's even made the tournament. Obviously the Hawks would need to win in Atlantic City to make the NCAA's. Even with an impressive win over Xavier, I think Dayton will still need to win the finals as well. Their RPI, 9-7 conference record, and piss-poor out-of-conference schedule does not get them on the bubble yet. But, I will take the Flyers winning this game.

2. Temple vs. 3. Richmond. The semifinals went chalk in the bottom half of the bracket. Richmond has been an 11 or 12 in most bracketology brackets. With a win over Rhode Island, they'll keep this status, and right now, I believe that they are in. They would ink this if they beat the Owls, which I think is very possible. Temple has several injuries, which Richmond's strong offense could take a hold of. I'll take the Spiders ending the Owl Domination in Atlantic City this year.

If the Devils win, and the game is a down-to-the-wire display of awesomeness...

...no. Pitt would still get the 1 over the loser.

I can't see UNC getting a #1 seed no matter the outcome. Their resume as a whole just isn't strong enough.

I can't see UNC getting a #1 seed no matter the outcome. Their resume as a whole just isn't strong enough.

If you're the sixth-ranked team in the nation, and the #3, #4 and #5 teams all lose while you win 3 straight games (one of which is against the #5 team), you should be one of the top 4 teams.

I'm a huge Auburn fan, and I hate Alabama, but it's absurd if they don't make the tournament. They went 12-4 in the SEC, and I don't care if their non-conference wins weren't as great. That was at the beginning of the season, and every team is alot different by then. They are certainly a tourney team.

If you're the sixth-ranked team in the nation, and the #3, #4 and #5 teams all lose while you win 3 straight games (one of which is against the #5 team), you should be one of the top 4 teams.

They would have more losses than OSU, Kansas, Pitt, and Duke. Plus, they have the same number of losses as Notre Dame, who played in a much tougher conference. They might be one of the top 4 teams in the country, but they don't have a top 4 resume.

I'm a huge Auburn fan, and I hate Alabama, but it's absurd if they don't make the tournament. They went 12-4 in the SEC, and I don't care if their non-conference wins weren't as great. That was at the beginning of the season, and every team is alot different by then. They are certainly a tourney team.

The thing that kills them is that 11 of their 21 wins are against teams ranked 200+ in the RPI. You have to do better than that.

They would have more losses than OSU, Kansas, Pitt, and Duke. Plus, they have the same number of losses as Notre Dame, who played in a much tougher conference. They might be one of the top 4 teams in the country, but they don't have a top 4 resume.

Notre Dame didn't even win the regular season title in their conference, or their tournament.

Duke, if things go the way I'd hope they'd go, would have lost both the regular season and the ACCT titles to UNC, plus lost 2 out of 3 to them. But they'd get a 1 seed ahead of UNC? How does that make sense?

So if, at the end of the season, they go on a 15-1 (with the only loss at Cameron), beat Duke twice, and win their conference tourney (which Pitt, ND, and Duke would all have failed to do), the other teams should get the bid over them?

Ok. Now, if you said that it was because they haven't looked too good the last two games, I'd be on board. The rest? Not so sure.

Notre Dame didn't even win the regular season title in their conference, or their tournament.

Duke, if things go the way I'd hope they'd go, would have lost both the regular season and the ACCT titles to UNC, plus lost 2 out of 3 to them. But they'd get a 1 seed ahead of UNC? How does that make sense?

So if, at the end of the season, they go on a 15-1 (with the only loss at Cameron), beat Duke twice, and win their conference tourney (which Pitt, ND, and Duke would all have failed to do), the other teams should get the bid over them?

Ok. Now, if you said that it was because they haven't looked too good the last two games, I'd be on board. The rest? Not so sure.

I personally think that if Duke wins, they get a number 1, and if UNC wins, Notre Dame will get it. It's possible that UNC could get it, but I honestly don't think their resume is any better than Notre Dame's. I'm not sure the committee will put a lot of weight into winning a mediocre conference and/or conference tournament.

The thing that kills them is that 11 of their 21 wins are against teams ranked 200+ in the RPI. You have to do better than that.

Understood, but that should be more than made up for by the fact that they went 12-4 in the SEC, finishing 2nd. Looking at that, the non-conference schedule suddenly doesn't seem as important.

I personally think that if Duke wins, they get a number 1, and if UNC wins, Notre Dame will get it. It's possible that UNC could get it, but I honestly don't think their resume is any better than Notre Dame's. I'm not sure the committee will put a lot of weight into winning a mediocre conference and/or conference tournament.

I guess the point is moot.

The comeback had started, then Barnes missed that three. Bah.

Nolan Smith is incredible. Good gracious.