Sports Guy

Using Kenpom.com to determine winner for your bracket

You tell me. I don't think it is.

Given that two of the teams on that list were preseason top ten teams (KSU at #3, Purdue at #8)...yeah. I think it is.

Rolled eyes aside, you are right about VT. They shouldn't be in. Tell Seth to schedule tougher OOC games.

Purdue, Kansas State, UNLV, Penn State, Oklahoma State, Mississippi State. What's wrong with that?

UAB, in a weaker conference, gets in with a top 6 OOC games of: Duke,

Georgia, Kent State, VCU, Arkansas, Arizona State.

VCU, in a weaker conference, gets in with at op 6 OOC games of: Tennessee, UCLA, Richmond, UAB, Wichita State, Wofford.

Purdue, Kansas State, UNLV, Penn State, Oklahoma State, Mississippi State. What's wrong with that?

VCU, in a weaker conference, gets in with at op 6 OOC games of: Tennessee, UCLA, Richmond, UAB, Wichita State, Wofford.

Fair or not...the committee looks at SOS. Those are good teams, but the overall depth of the OOC games is what kills you.

Look at VT and PSU.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/rpi/VATECH

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/rpi/PSU

VT's OOC schedule looks tougher because of teams like Purdue and KSU, but their OOC SOS is worse than PSU's. Why? VT played 2 teams outside of the top 300 and 4 teams outside of the top 200, while PSU only played 3 teams outside of the top 200 and none outside of the top 300.

Don't schedule so many cupcake games because the few really tough games that VT had got completely washed out when they calculated SOS.

VT - 62 RPI - 77 SOS

UAB - 31 RPI - 78 SOS

VCU - 49 RPI - 85 SOS

What am I missing gentleman?

VT - 62 RPI - 77 SOS

UAB - 31 RPI - 78 SOS

VCU - 49 RPI - 85 SOS

What am I missing gentleman?

UAB's RPI is so high because of the in-conference schedule, I'd assume...because the OOC schedule is...not so great. You got Duke, and...er...

Re: VT's SOS, it was the worst case scenario for them, with MSST falling off the map and K-State dropping about 20 spots in the polls. I'm sure they put that schedule together thinking, "Ok, these teams are all pretty good. As long as we do well in the ACC and win a couple of games in the tourney, we should be fine." Simply put, the OOC schedule was supposed to be tougher, but wasn't, and it wasn't their fault.

Since 2003, the team that finished first in his standings has won the title 6 times. Of the other 3, 2 of the winners were second in his standings.

Not entirely true, as Pomeroy's archived rankings were completed at the conclusion of the NCAA tournament. For instance, until Duke won the championship game last year, Kansas was his overall no. 1. Duke was fourth on his list, if I recall correctly, behind the other 1 seeds.

And we were told by the committee last year to bump up the non-conference schedule and we did. Hell, we played Kansas State, Purdue, Oklahoma State, UNLV, Penn State, St. Bonaventure, and Mississippi State. Not exactly cream puff city.

Not cream puff city, but it is very middle of the road. And it doesn't help that, in conference, Wake is so weak.

I see an OOC schedule that includes Campbell, UNC-G, Cal St Northridge, SC Update, Mt. St. Mary's. That's a joke for a team with tourney aspirations. The only true road games scheduled were a 16 pt loss to KState and UNC-G a 22 point win. "Semi-away" games were a win aginst CSNorthridge and an overtime win against St. Bonnie, while "nuetral" games were a loss to UNLV by 12 and a 5 pt win over Okie State. Those are hardly inspiring numbers.

Overall, I see a team with 8 wins against RPI Over 200, 13-11 against RPI top 200, 8-8 v RPI top 100 and 2-5 against RPI Top 50 - per stats from another poster on another thread. Those are fairly uninspiring.

The ACC is relatively weak as a conference compared to prior years so there are no coattails there. I'm not sure why folks believe there is a convincing argument that VT should be invited to the dance.

(I personally cannot stand teams with tourney aspirations that schedule so that a full quarter of their opponents are outside the top 200. It would be disappointing to see the committee reward such scheduling.)

Not entirely true, as Pomeroy's archived rankings were completed at the conclusion of the NCAA tournament. For instance, until Duke won the championship game last year, Kansas was his overall no. 1. Duke was fourth on his list, if I recall correctly, behind the other 1 seeds.

No, this isn't true.

I know for a fact that Duke was #1 going into the tourney.

The stats don't get adjusted during the tourney.

Edited by Sports Guy

No, this isn't true.

I know for a fact that Duke was #1 going into the season.

The stats don't get adjusted during the tourney.

Maybe I'm confused as to what you're saying, or I'm not making myself very clear. I'm not saying Duke wasn't #1 going into the season. (And which season are you speaking of: '09-'10, or '10-11?)

Unless I suffered a stroke at some point, but I'm almost positive that Pomeroy does adjust during the tournaments, whether it's conference tournaments or the NCAA's or the NIT, CBI, or that other one. I may be making this up, but I have this recollection that until KU lost to UNI last year, KU was #1, UK was #2, OSU was third, and Duke was fourth.

Apologies if I'm wrong.

Maybe I'm confused as to what you're saying, or I'm not making myself very clear. I'm not saying Duke wasn't #1 going into the season. (And which season are you speaking of: '09-'10, or '10-11?)

Unless I suffered a stroke at some point, but I'm almost positive that Pomeroy does adjust during the tournaments, whether it's conference tournaments or the NCAA's or the NIT, CBI, or that other one. I may be making this up, but I have this recollection that until KU lost to UNI last year, KU was #1, UK was #2, OSU was third, and Duke was fourth.

Apologies if I'm wrong.

My bad I meant to say that I know Duke was #1 going into the tourney last year.

They adjust up until the NCAA tourney I am pretty sure...Like I said, I know Duke was #1 heading into the tourney...Pretty sure nothing changed.

But that is my point. Both VCU and UAB are really undeserving of getting in, IMO. VT was lumped into that group as well. VT did not deserve to get in. I would feel the same way about them if the committee said they were in.

I really don't want to hear all the complaining from VT to be honest. Schedule some harder games, don't rely on the ACC to get you in and maybe you won't have this issue.

Fool me once... What is it for three times?

The point isn't that VT is great. The point is that they are MORE deserving of being in the tournament than teams who got in. Colorado can say the same thing. Heck, VT is more deserving of getting in than Clemson, who has a grand total of 0 wins against Top 50 teams.

My bad I meant to say that I know Duke was #1 going into the tourney last year.

They adjust up until the NCAA tourney I am pretty sure...Like I said, I know Duke was #1 heading into the tourney...Pretty sure nothing changed.

Yup, Duke was definitely #1 in the kenpom rankings at the start of the tournament last year.

Okay, perhaps I was wrong. When it comes to being right or wrong the only thing I like worse than being right is being wrong. (I really thought I was right...)

Anyway, I think Belmont is being overrated by the public. The trendy upset pick is gonna lose, methinks.

But I've been wrong before.

Okay, perhaps I was wrong. When it comes to being right or wrong the only thing I like worse than being right is being wrong. (I really thought I was right...)

Anyway, I think Belmont is being overrated by the public. The trendy upset pick is gonna lose, methinks.

But I've been wrong before.

To be fair to you, I never knew before last year that no change was made and for all I know, last year was the first year he didn't change the rankings.

But I do know Duke was ranked first.

I tried to find it but I remember having an exchange with crstoner on here entering the tourney last year about him talking about the Kenpom rankings and just using them to look at the matchups...and I mentioned that he had duke #1 and asked Chris if he felt that meant Duke would win the title. That's how I remembered.

BTW its also good to look at the Vegas lines too when thinking about first round upset picks. Games thats lines are closer than you would think they should be always get my attention.