Sign in to follow this  
cdrum

Aubrey Huff interview on BTLS show (Sirius Channel 101) at 5pm on Thursday

Don't you mean sugar water? That's really all it is.

Give me a break, Georgia Bird. I was almost in an accident today -- cut off by a woman on a cell phone with -- literally -- four University of Alabama car flags flying from the windows of her SUV.

I'm starting to think I actually died in Baltimore last June, and this is my own personal Hades.

Well, it's not quite that bad. They do have good ribs in these parts.

Wow, sounds like you need out of Alabama more than I need out of New Jersey! Are you thinking of moving soon or do you have a long term commitment there?

This thread is cracking me up. Huff was on an uncensored show, drinking a little beer with his friends, talking like all guys do. Huff called Baltimore Horses**t town when talking about it night life. Who cares?

I also feel that Huff was embarrassed about his performance last year and will improve. Huff said that, "if was not for my 7 hrs against the Rays last year I would have been released." The guys on the show constantly made fun of his performance last year. It sounded like Huff was ready to improve next season based on his comments.

Huff described his average work day when was young and single. If you people were listening to the show you would realize that Huff is married and those days are long gone, (another factor of why he called Baltimore a Horses**t town for its night life).

Some people need to get a life when judging the life styles of professional players. Players are just normal people and being a ball player is just a job (a great job) with a high failure rate. If players do not give their hardest every day they fail and are released.

If more players on the Orioles were as honest as Huff and Millar maybe the Orioles would be a better team be it seems that people what players who say the Orioles are a great team even though this team has no hope in competing in the American League East. This will be my last post on this subject.

You're right. In this day and age, professional athletes are not held to anywhere near the same standard of polite, professional conduct as the general public is. Arrogance, rudeness, criminal behavior, and flat-out stupidity are the norm, at least if you judge based on media coverage, but does that mean we don't have the right to expect somewhat better?

I'm not saying Huff needs to go straight from the strip clubs to volunteering at the local soup kitchen for his off hours activities, but the GYM would be a nice in-between stop that would be in the best interest of both him and the team. In virtually any other profession, if we want to keep our jobs, me make sure our partying doesn't interfere with our work performance, don't advertise things we do outside of work that might be considered unprofessional, and don't say overly negative things that might get back to our employer or our clients. It's not about being a celebrity or a star athlete, it's just common maturity that's expected of every adult.

The Bible says, "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." (I don't quote that because it's in the Bible, but rather because it's a well known quote that I think makes a lot of sense.) Yet with professional athletes it seems that because they're given more, in many instances less is expected of them. Insubordination in the workplace happens every day. Mistreatment of women in their lives (in this case I'm particularly speaking to infidelity) is expected. Yes, this is all the way things are, but I'm just not one of those people who believes in accepting the status quo just because it's the status quo. I don't like Aubrey Huff (this interview didn't change that) and I'd probably buy more tickets to games if the players were a little more likeable than he is both on and off the field. I think there are more people out there with that stance than a lot of you think.

Thats a good post, and while I agree with the sentiments, I just think it's pretty unrealistic in this day and age.

Do I like the status quo with the way a lot of athletes behave? Not really. Do I have to accept it? Well, I kind of do...because before I was a fan of the Orioles or any particular player, I was a fan of baseball...playing, watching, talking about it...and now taking photos of it. And my love for the game itself overrides the way any knucklehead athlete acts.

But like I said before, long ago I stopped looking at athletes as upstanding citizens and realized what a fair amount of them were/are..but it's not my fault that they act the way they do and conduct themselves in certain manners. And what can you do when the people in question simply don't care about what you think or how they're perceived by the public?

Maybe I'm pretty callous to it, probably am...I just don't expect much in from people just because they're famous, make a lot of money and are in the spotlight. It's kind of hard to think of them in any other way when espn always has a breaking story about how they've done something dumb for the billionth time.

Maybe I'm pretty callous to it, probably am...I just don't expect much in from people just because they're famous, make a lot of money and are in the spotlight. It's kind of hard to think of them in any other way when espn always has a breaking story about how they've done something dumb for the billionth time.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't expect less of them because of those things. Think about it. If you're a boss and you hear someone who is an at-will employee in your business publicly say the things Huff said it the interview, you probably give some consideration to firing them or at least becoming more vigilant about their job performance with the possibility of firing them. Now obviously, Huff is under a guaranteed contract so that's more relevant than whether he's famous, but I'm just tired of the behavior that wouldn't be tolerated from the general public being accepted, expected and even encouraged.

There's a difference between tolerating the fact that there are idiots in pro sports and saying that we shouldn't criticize them for being idiots just because that's the norm. Huff shouldn't be released for his comments, but I'm under no obligation to like him or refrain from complaining about him or booing him at the ballpark.

Finally, I'll be honest. A big part of the fun of sports for me (and I think for a lot of fans) is that it gives me something to complain about and take out my frustration from real life. In the grand scheme of things, Aubrey Huff acting like a horse's butt on national radio doesn't matter, but railing against him raises my blood pressure a lot less than railing against the government or something that actually harms people.

My response to issues like this is pretty straight forward. You're being paid 20 million to represent the team and city for which you play. It doesn't mean you have to love the place but if you feel at all ambivalent about it you should know when to keep your mouth shut.

My response to issues like this is pretty straight forward. You're being paid 20 million to represent the team and city for which you play. It doesn't mean you have to love the place but if you feel at all ambivalent about it you should know when to keep your mouth shut.
That's a fair response, although again, he wasn't bashing the city as a whole. He just doesn't like the night life here.

That's a fair response, although again, he wasn't bashing the city as a whole. He just doesn't like the night life here.

If he had said "Baltimore has horse@#$% bars" it would be entirely different. That's not what he said. If you tell me my opinions about Aubrey Huff are horse@#$%, I'll be fine with that. If you say I'm a horse@#$% person, even if the context makes it fairly clear that what you really mean is that my opinions about Aubrey Huff are horse@#$%, I'm still going to be offended.

If he had said "Baltimore has horse@#$% bars" it would be entirely different. That's not what he said. If you tell me my opinions about Aubrey Huff are horse@#$%, I'll be fine with that. If you say I'm a horse@#$% person, even if the context makes it fairly clear that what you really mean is that my opinions about Aubrey Huff are horse@#$%, I'm still going to be offended.
The context is certainly relevant. He was asked about the nightlife, and said what he said. It wasn't some random comment about Baltimore in general. Context is very important and definitely changes the meaning of what he said. I really don't see what the big fuss is about this, yeah it was a dumb thing to say, but it certainly shouldn't be this big of a deal. Should we run the guy out of town because he doesn't like the Hustler Club?

I think what he actually meant to say was that Baltimore has horse***t PLAYERS! ;)

Did you listen to the show?

He never said a word about the players or managment. He said Baltimore has a lot of baseball history and said he liked Cal Ripken. (This is all that he talked about Oriole baseball). The fact is that the only thing that was discussed on the BTLS show was his partying. This is not a sports show. This is the "southern" version of Howard Stern. How much sports is discussed on Stern?

I'll never take anything seriously that comes out of the mouth of a man named Aubrey.

Some people are just idiots and the Orioles have found a way to collect a large amount of them at the same time. Is what Millar did really that surprising? No, the guys a blowhard idiot. Same with Huff, I doubt he meant it in a mean way, but he is too stupid to not realize that what he is saying is going to cause nothing but trouble.

The collection of morons this team has added over the past decade is probably unmatched in sports history.

• Downvote 1

Did you listen to the show?

He never said a word about the players or managment. He said Baltimore has a lot of baseball history and said he liked Cal Ripken. (This is all that he talked about Oriole baseball). The fact is that the only thing that was discussed on the BTLS show was his partying. This is not a sports show. This is the "southern" version of Howard Stern. How much sports is discussed on Stern?

See wink at end of statement for implied sarcasm...