ChaosLex

Roch: According to industry sources, Dipoto is looking like the top choice for the Angels

Why wouldn't it be? Yeah' date=' their PD system has been depleted and they have some bad contracts....[b']but they have an owner who will spend[/b] and an easier division than the AL East. And a lot more stability than Tampa as well.

Sure but what exactly has that netted them in the past 5yrs in FA?

I'm not really sure how anyone knows Dipoto is the Angels' top choice, before he has even been interviewed. Do we know who else they are interviewing?

That said, if most people had a choice between taking the Angels job or the Orioles job, it wouldn't be much of a contest.

I not sure what it is about the Angels job that makes it so clear that it's the "better" opportunity. The O's have better tradition, a better stadium, better competition, a better fan base and better payroll flexibility than the Angels.

It seems that you're saying "most people" would choose to go with the easier job from a standpoint of being in a position to compete. Doesn't that underestimate the competitive nature of top baseball people? Showalter certainly wasn't anyone's red headed step child - he was by all accounts a very marketable commodity and he chose to come to the O's when he could have held out for a different job.

• Upvote 1

Sure but what exactly has that netted them in the past 5yrs in FA?

As Orioles fans know well, there's spending and there's spending wisely, regardless of what the final payroll number is. The Angels haven't done well with that recently. But as a GM, if you're owner is willing and able to spend with the upper-echelon clubs, that's always a plus. From there, it's up to you to get the most out of those dollars.

I not sure what it is about the Angels job that makes it so clear that it's the "better" opportunity. The O's have better tradition, a better stadium, better competition, a better fan base and better payroll flexibility than the Angels.

It seems that you're saying "most people" would choose to go with the easier job from a standpoint of being in a position to compete. Doesn't that underestimate the competitive nature of top baseball people? Showalter certainly wasn't anyone's red headed step child - he was by all accounts a very marketable commodity and he chose to come to the O's when he could have held out for a different job.

Why do we have a better tradition -- because the franchise was good 25 years ago? What relevance does that have to a guy taking a GM job today? The Angels made the playoffs 6 times in the last 10 years, which matches the most playoff appearances the Orioles ever had in a 10-year period -- but the Orioles' 10-year run ended in 1974.

The Angels have a functional player development system. Their starting lineup features 6 players who came up through their farm system. 3 of their starting pitchers and their closer are home grown (and their starters are actually good). They have a wealthy owner. They have strong attendance.

I guess if a GM is looking for the ultimate challenge, then the Orioles job is his dream job. If a GM wants a job where he has a good chance to succeed, the Angels is the better job, by far.

Yes, but Anaheim has much better climate - it's all about location, location, location! :D

Yes, but Anaheim has much better climate - it's all about location, location, location! :D

Angels owner Arte Moreno has met in Florida with Tampa Bay Rays General Manager Andrew Friedman

Why do we have a better tradition -- because the franchise was good 25 years ago? What relevance does that have to a guy taking a GM job today? The Angels made the playoffs 6 times in the last 10 years, which matches the most playoff appearances the Orioles ever had in a 10-year period -- but the Orioles' 10-year run ended in 1974.

The Angels have a functional player development system. Their starting lineup features 6 players who came up through their farm system. 3 of their starting pitchers and their closer are home grown (and their starters are actually good). They have a wealthy owner. They have strong attendance.

I guess if a GM is looking for the ultimate challenge, then the Orioles job is his dream job. If a GM wants a job where he has a good chance to succeed, the Angels is the better job, by far.

If you don't buy that the O's have better tradition than the Angels, I'm not sure I can convince you of that.

O's players/starters/closers from farm system - Wieters, Markakis, Roberts, Reimold, Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Johnson. You may not believe Britton, Matusz and Arrieta are "good" but I think they are quite good and are simply not as far along as their counterparts on the Angels. So that's 9 homegrown players versus 8.

As far as wealthy owners, this article is instructive - http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/22/baseball-billionaires-baseball-values-09-business-billionaires-wealth.html

Apparently, Morena and Angelos are on par with each other in terms of net worth, so that's not an Angel advantage.

The Angels do have strong attendance (3M+ attendance each of the past 9 years) but the O's proved they could also consistently reach the 3M mark when they fielded a competitive team. If the Angels were on a 15 year losing streak, I doubt their attendance would be any better than the O's right now.

So apparently it comes down to how competitive the division is. The Rays have proven that the East can be won on a fraction of what the Angels spend each year. A competent GM who builds a top quality organization (as the Rays have) can compete in the East. If a GM believes he can build a top organization, then competing in the AL East shouldn't frighten him, and in fact it may actually be a draw.

To be the best you have to beat the best. I'm not sure there are going to be a lot of GMs who are thinking to themselves - "Gee, I don't want to go to the AL East because I'm not good enough to compete there, so I'll go to the Angels instead where I'll have a smaller chance of failure." We see this in college all the time, the coaching jobs in power conferences, even for the bottom feeding teams, have more appeal than jobs for top schools in weak conferences.

I know the AL West isn't a pushover division, but the parallel still applies. For highly competitive "A" type personalities, I don't think coming to the AL East is a negative, I think its a positive because of the challenge and the level of competition and the visibility.

In fact, I think there is a risk factor that works against a GM taking the Angels job. If you go to Baltimore and fail, then there are all kinds of built in excuses (tough division, bad owner, poor farm system, etc.), but if you succeed, then you'll be hailed as the savior of one of the great baseball franchises in the majors.

If you go to the Angels and succeed, then that's expected. You were handed the keys to a perennial powerhouse in a weak division with a big payroll and a big fan base. If on the other hand, you fail, then you'll be seen as the guy that destroyed a winning franchise.

From a risk management perspective, the O's job is mostly upside with little downside. The Angels job is a lot of downside with limited upside.

The O's job may be harder, but for a lot of people, "harder" is synonymous with "more challenging" or "more rewarding". So I don't buy that the Angels are the superior choice simply because it will be easier to win there.

The 2 jobs aren't even remotely comparable unless you are an Orioles homer.

The Angels actually have a good team...the Orioles don't.

The Angels don't play in the AL East...the Orioles do.

The Angels don't have PA as the owner....the Orioles do.

Those 3 things alone makes the Angels job WAY better than the Orioles job.

I would actually personally prefer the Orioles job for the challenge but the PA factor makes that a challenge that is almost impossible because of how horrible he is.

Oh and both jobs feature a power hungry manager, so no advantages there either.

The 2 jobs aren't even remotely comparable unless you are an Orioles homer.

The Angels actually have a good team...the Orioles don't.

The Angels don't play in the AL East...the Orioles do.

The Angels don't have PA as the owner....the Orioles do.

Those 3 things alone makes the Angels job WAY better than the Orioles job.

I would actually personally prefer the Orioles job for the challenge but the PA factor makes that a challenge that is almost impossible because of how horrible he is.

Oh and both jobs feature a power hungry manager, so no advantages there either.

Spot on IMO. The Angels seem to have the resources and mind set to out spend the Orioles. I love the Orioles, but Peter Angelos seems to have a reputation as a difficult guy to work for. I think that the Angels get their man. If they land Friedman than who do the Rays bring in and would the Rays be a better opportunity than the Orioles? I would be happy with Dipoto or LaCava to be honest.

The other Diamondbacks-related development involved Jerry Dipoto, who interviewed with the Angels today for their GM job. It’s been a whirlwind week for him; he interviewed for the Orioles GM job on Tuesday.

Evidently – and not surprisingly -- Dipoto did well in both interviews.

“I heard from both clubs and both were very impressed,” Hall said. “He’s going to be a great GM. The experience he gained as interim GM to go with the success he’s had in scouting and player development is a terrific combination.”

Hall, of course, doesn’t want to lose him, but he seems to view it as an inevitable outcome at some point.

Just as we said last week, it’ll be interesting to see what happens with this timing-wise. It seemed the Orioles were further along in the process than the Angels, but now we’re getting the sense that isn’t really the case anymore.

LINK to azcentral.com

DiPoto seems like the exact kind of guy this organizations needs. Saying that, I can't imagine the Orioles will hire him.

Sort of a throwaway paragraph from Roch's post...

The Orioles are still expected to seek permission from the Dodgers to interview assistant general manager De Jon Watson, whose qualifications are detailed here by mlbtraderumors.

Watson, 45, is responsible for the Dodgers' player development and oversees Latin American player development. He served previously as scouting director with the Reds and Indians.

Again, those are the qualifications that interest the Orioles.

Every one of the guys they've interviewed or are interested in interviewing have these SAME qualifications. Player development, international scouting and development, younger, scouting and stats background.

I know, fool me once shame on you. Fool me 437 times shame on ME. This just feels different tho...

Sort of a throwaway paragraph from Roch's post...

Every one of the guys they've interviewed or are interested in interviewing have these SAME qualifications. Player development, international scouting and development, younger, scouting and stats background.

I know, fool me once shame on you. Fool me 437 times shame on ME. This just feels different tho...

Which of the past GMs over the last 14 years have come in with these credentials? I am not disputing you, just asking the question. Just because the fans (or at least the ones on this board and those who have been aware of what the organization has been doing - or not) are clamoring for these things to become a priority doesn't mean they were the background expertise of the guys who came in to lead the organization. I don't recall these being attributed to MacPhail or Flanagan, for instance, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the resumes of all the guys who have held the GM/PBO position since 1998.

I personally am encouraged by the fact that these things are repeatedly being cited as credentials they are looking for in a candidate. I just hope it's not the just the media that is saying these are the things that are important, but until we see the final selection it's hard to say for sure.