Birds of B'more

Syracuse Assistant Bernie Fine target of police inquiry

My issue is solely with him attacking the alleged victims. If he would have said "no comment" or even "I can't imagine Barry doing something like that", I wouldn't have an issue with him. But instead he decided to play amateur defense attorney and make unfounded accusations against the accusers. That was poor judgement on his part.

Maybe, but if you think you know somebody and don't feel they could do this, and perhaps see other motives for the accusation in the wake of Joe Paterno (which this and others that might come out in the near future can appear, whether or not it is the case), are you going to fire a guy over an emotional reaction?

Maybe, but if you think you know somebody and don't feel they could do this, and perhaps see other motives for the accusation in the wake of Joe Paterno (which this and others that might come out in the near future can appear, whether or not it is the case), are you going to fire a guy over an emotional reaction?

I try to look at these things from the perspective of the victim or the parents of the victim. If I were in their shoes and Fine's boss just finished calling me a liar, an extorter, etc in media, I think I'd be pretty angry if he kept his job.

One of the reasons these things go unreported for so long is for fear of not being believed or having your own reputation smeared, which is exactly what Boeheim did.

Now Boeheim wants "anyone with information [to] be supported to come forward so that the truth can be found". Are you sure, Jim? What if you don't like what you hear? Will you call them liars and extorers too on your next "Outside the Lines" interview?

Edited by SammyBirdland

I try to look at these things from the perspective of the victim or the parents of the victim. If I were in their shoes and Fine's boss just finished calling me a liar, an extorter, etc in media, I think I'd be pretty angry if he kept his job.

So that kind of emotional response is fine, but Boeheim's isn't?

What about from the perspective of someone who's a good friend to you?

If someone accused one of my friends of this, and I believed in my heart of hearts it was false and they were trying to capitalize on a situation, I'd be pretty ticked off too.

Not saying Boeheim handled this the best way, but I understand his reaction and think his apology is plenty to reconcile his actions.

What about from the perspective of someone who's a good friend to you?

If someone accused one of my friends of this, and I believed in my heart of hearts it was false and they were trying to capitalize on a situation, I'd be pretty ticked off too.

Not saying Boeheim handled this the best way, but I understand his reaction and think his apology is plenty to reconcile his actions.

That's a fair opinion to have. The problem is that Boeheim is in a political sort of position. His actions have alienated many people, including, perhaps, potential recruits. A highly sought after recruit who happens to have been a victim of child molestation might have a hard time coming to play for a man who spoke so insensitively about alleged victims.

It's certainly honorable to go to bat or take a bullet for a friend. Sometimes you get hit though.

On Mike Francesa there was a caller who said they knew someone on the board of trustees and from what they had heard JB would not make it through this week.

Said the BOT issued a gag order and JB still went and made the comments that he made and then the new information of the taped call came out.

I can see why JB made the comments he did, originally. He was going by the information he had and the fact that an investigation already took place and nothing ever came from the investigation. He was standing by his long time friend. Its unfortunate he was very insensitive to the supposed victim. That is what he is going to burn for.

This situation is in no way like the Penn St one, unless it comes out that JB was part of a cover up. It doesn't seem that way though as the accuser said he never told JB anything and it seems that ESPN, the school, and other news agencies new about the investigation and ESPN even had the phone call back in 2005.

Still think there is more to this case as the accuser was still going back to see Fine in his 20s and now the exposure of a relationship with Fine's wife. There are a lot of unanswered questions.

I really think the thing that got Boeheim so upset was that Davis called him out specifically. Honestly, when I read that, I figured he was just out for money too. If he would have just accused Fine and nothing more, then I think he would have been more believable. Including a wealthy coach in your accusations right after the Penn State scandal makes it look like you're going after the money. Either way Boeheim should have kept his mouth shut, but I don't blame him for thinking what he did.