Floater

2011-2012 Washington Wizards Thread

For all you Wizards fans...

My views on the offseason:

They should try to sign Nick Young at a reasonable price. If he get an offer from another team that is pretty high, don't bother matching it.

Using the Amnesty of Rashard would have been idiotic, glad they did not use it on him this year.

There is noo player this year to really go after. They should save their money for next year when the FA Class is much more strong. D.C. could be very attractive to Big Men if Wall explodes like he should this season. Maybe Howard?:D

I'm excited to see this team grow this season with a lot of young and exciting players. I'm hoping Blatche finally matured, that would be nice but not very likely. Pair a top 5 draft pick in a stacked draft and a contender could be brewing in the Nation's Capital very soon...

Heres to a fun season.

It is a very exciting young core. I am for keeping Nick Young, hes young. If it gets too costly (I saw that the Bulls are looking at him) then you have to let him go.

We've got lots of cap room moving forward, will be very interesting.

I can see them wining a couple of more games than last year, even with the shorter schedule. Health is a big issue this year, not so much for W's but we need to have them on the court and developing.

For all you Wizards fans...

My views on the offseason:

They should try to sign Nick Young at a reasonable price. If he get an offer from another team that is pretty high, don't bother matching it.

Using the Amnesty of Rashard would have been idiotic, glad they did not use it on him this year.

There is noo player this year to really go after. They should save their money for next year when the FA Class is much more strong. D.C. could be very attractive to Big Men if Wall explodes like he should this season. Maybe Howard?:D

I'm excited to see this team grow this season with a lot of young and exciting players. I'm hoping Blatche finally matured, that would be nice but not very likely. Pair a top 5 draft pick in a stacked draft and a contender could be brewing in the Nation's Capital very soon...

Heres to a fun season.

My thoughts exactly. Really interested to see how much Wall's jumps shot has improved.

Help me understand the amnesty rule and why it would be bad for Lewis? Are there repercussions to it, or is it because you don't think it'll be good to get rid of him.

I read a story in the post about some guys working out in DC together. It included Blatche, N'Diye (sp?), with ex-wizards Mason and Haywood. Mason said he'd like to come back, but he may have offers from Boston and new York.

I read in SI that Veesly is still in Europe due to visa/lockout issues.

Help me understand the amnesty rule and why it would be bad for Lewis? Are there repercussions to it, or is it because you don't think it'll be good to get rid of him.

I read a story in the post about some guys working out in DC together. It included Blatche, N'Diye (sp?), with ex-wizards Mason and Haywood. Mason said he'd like to come back, but he may have offers from Boston and new York.

Letting Lewis go at all-time low value for nothing wouldn't be smart, especially since there's only one more year left on his deal. Even if he doesn't rebound and have a great year, the salary coming off the books will add value to him next year. It's not like they can spend the money on someone else this year, so it'd just be wasted cap space. They need to either sign and then trade Young, or sign and play Young, and they need to lock up McGee soon. If Crawford keeps developing like he looked like he was at the end of the season, you could have a PG, a SG, a C, and MAYBE a SF (Blatche), and cap room to go throw a max deal at an elite PF to pair with them. I'd probably see what I could get for Blatche too, since he seems like he's going to break out/then not going to do anything/then going to break out again. I think he could be GREAT, but I wonder if the desire is there or not.

Basically we are pretty far under the cap even with Lewis. If we amnesty him, we'd have to sign other players to fill his salary because each team has to use a certain amount of cap space this season. So, instead of signing FAs that won't really help this team rebuild to fill Lewis's salary along with paying Lewis the money we'll owe him for the next two years, we can just pay Lewis for at least this year and probably amnesty him next year to free up cap space when there are a lot better FA out there.

Okay, thanks guys. I didn't understand the concept of a salary floor. That makes sense.

Yeah, the salary floor is the big thing. Might as well keep him and pay him than have to spend money on guys just to spend it.

I'm torn on Nick Young. I guess it depends on the price. If he's reasonable, I'd like to sign him. I have a feeling he'll get a nice size contract though. He's a good player, especially good scorer, I'm just not sure he'll be worth the money he gets. I like Jordan Crawford a lot, though, and think he and John could be a great starting backcourt. Although, I think it's a great setup right now with Wall and Young starting and Crawford able to come in and spell both of them, getting himself 20 or so minutes that way. We'll see.

Yeah, the salary floor is the big thing. Might as well keep him and pay him than have to spend money on guys just to spend it.

I'm torn on Nick Young. I guess it depends on the price. If he's reasonable, I'd like to sign him. I have a feeling he'll get a nice size contract though. He's a good player, especially good scorer, I'm just not sure he'll be worth the money he gets. I like Jordan Crawford a lot, though, and think he and John could be a great starting backcourt. Although, I think it's a great setup right now with Wall and Young starting and Crawford able to come in and spell both of them, getting himself 20 or so minutes that way. We'll see.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I think Young is going to turn into a really good player, and just hasn't really had the chance to be "the guy" here. Kinda like Arenas leaving GS. That being said I really like Crawford a lot too, and he and Wall had a really good thing going.

John Wall can't make a lay-up. Just can't do it.

Between Wall and McGee last night there must have been 10 or so missed layups. Very frustrating.

Also, either they have the lowest collective BBIQ in the NBA or they are the worst coached team in the league. I'm thinking it's a little bit of both.

Between Wall and McGee last night there must have been 10 or so missed layups. Very frustrating.

Also, either they have the lowest collective BBIQ in the NBA or they are the worst coached team in the league. I'm thinking it's a little bit of both.

Have to agree it's a little of both. No discipline themselves, and none instilled from the coaching staff. Some moves need to be made and mix in some veteran leadership and desire to win, but I feel like it's all for not without one more young superstar.

I think it might be both. These guys just look like they have absolutely no clue out there. I'm not sure I've ever seen a collection of guys that seem to care so little about winning and a team concept. If the team gets off to an atrocious start (which they're certainly well on their way to), Flip needs to be fired. Not saying this is all his fault, but obviously he doesn't get through to these guys. They get outworked and outhustled every single game, which isn't going to fly when you factor in they're rarely more talented than teams.

Wall clearly doesn't trust any of his teammates (can't say I blame him) and is forcing the issue way too much. Blatche should be cut; he's a cancer to this team, both on the court and off, and will only harm the overall progress of this franchise if he remains. His contract concerns me, not because he isn't good enough to deserve it, but because the front office obviously has no clue how to evaluate character.

Anytime you see a good pass or one of those smart "basketball" type plays, that doesn't necessarily show up in the boxscore, it's by Rashard Lewis or Ronny Turiaf. Those guys aren't great players by any stretch of imagination, but they don't make dumb ass mistakes every few minutes.

The team has shown little to no heart, drive, talent, teamwork..it goes on and on. They've done everything poorly. Maybe they are just a terrible collection of players, but there's too much 1st round draft talent here to all be this bad. Flip should be gone IMO. I'm not sure what kind of coach the team needs, but it's not him.