Oldorioles

Tracking O's Minor League Offseason Moves

You can add Miclat to Texas, and Martin and Henson to the Dodgers.

Also, in the Rule 5 minor league draft, the O's acquired Andy Loomis from Philadelphia and Matt Sweeney from Tampa Bay.

I looked around for some info on Kelvin Mena... other than being a catcher I couldn't find much else out.

The thing about 17-18 year olds out of the DO is that they are ridiculously raw and tough to project. I think that's why good scouts are important, because at that young it's important to find out their makeup, their body type, their swing, their tools, and if any of that can be easily changed if it needs to be.

The science is so inexact, to give a projection like "this kid could be Aramis Ramirez one day" (for example) would be like predicting lightning strikes and lotto numbers.

The thing about 17-18 year olds out of the DO is that they are ridiculously raw and tough to project. I think that's why good scouts are important, because at that young it's important to find out their makeup, their body type, their swing, their tools, and if any of that can be easily changed if it needs to be.

The science is so inexact, to give a projection like "this kid could be Aramis Ramirez one day" (for example) would be like predicting lightning strikes and lotto numbers.

I think this is spot on.

Anyone have any information on the international signings?? Are they anything to get excited about?

Well, I know Marrugo is Columbian and we signed him to a bonus of $120,000 so I'm guessing they see some potential in him. It's still a crap shoot, but I like the fact that we are actively involved here.

Jonathan Isenia

CURACAO - The 18-year-old baseball player Jonathan Isenia last week signed a contract with the Baltimore Orioles, the baseball team from the U.S. Major League. In the presence of a notary signed the contract Isenia of the American team that starts in January.

LINK

Jonathan Isenia

LINK

Good find. The O's, according to Baseball America's minor league transactions have also signed Ryan Edell and Carlos Larez. Edell is a minor league journeyman pitcher who looks like he might fit into Norfolk or Bowie's starting rotation. I couldn't find anything on Larez. Looks like there is an older Larez in professional baseball and is from Venezuela. Just guessing that this might be an IFA young kid from Venezuela.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/12/minor-league-transactions-dec-9-14-2/

The O's, according to Baseball America's minor league transactions have also signed Ryan Edell and Carlos Larez. Edell is a minor league journeyman pitcher who looks like he might fit into Norfolk or Bowie's starting rotation. I couldn't find anything on Larez. Looks like there is an older Larez in professional baseball and is from Venezuela. Just guessing that this might be an IFA young kid from Venezuela.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/12/minor-league-transactions-dec-9-14-2/

OK, I've updated the OP to include these two as well as Newby. It's interesting that you're right - there's nothing on Carlos Larez. I guess we'll see where he ends up playing (maybe the DSL). Edell and Newby are both mildly interesting. They both put up good numbers, but were old for their respective leagues. Edell's control looks great (20BB in 149 IP, 1.201 WHIP). I think he's a good signing to add depth to theNorfolk rotation. Newby has spent the last three years in AA and I think that's probably where he'll be again.

I punched in some numbers for these new pitchers we have.

Jon Link is not only replacing Mark Worrell, who left as a free agent, but stacks up pretty similarly to him. Both around 27-28, kicking around in AAA closing games, but unfortunately, Worrell was a full run better than Link. I think we remember Worrell quite well for his odd delivery and ability to pour gasoline on fires. I have a feeling that the Orioles will see Link later in the year.

Kyler Newby can be a bit compared to last years VDH. Both 26, both starters, low 4.00-ERA pitchers... the edge is to VDH though. I'm not sure that says much about Newby.

Andy Loomis is 25 and just finished a full season in A+. So did Ryan O'Shea and Kenny Moreland, if that makes you feel any better. Not much here.

Edell seems to be better than Atkins and VDH, but not as good as Tillman. He's certainly an upgrade to the Norfolk rotation if that's where they place him. Nothing here other than filler, but I've seen worse filler.

Socolovich seem legitimately like the only real upgrade we've obtained for AAA. He's only 24, mid-3.00 ERA in AAA last year. 11.5 K/9 (!!) but walks too many people. Not much control. If they can harness his wildness, he'd be an interesting late season starting replacement for the Orioles. Again, just a depth pick up, but I've seen much worse.

• Upvote 1