DrShorebird

Matt Hobgood 2012

Insert fork remove from grill. He is done.

Yep. If he truly needs shoulder surgery, why bother at this point? O's should cut their losses and Hobgood should take whatever's left of the $2.4M signing bonus and go back to school. Maybe join a softball team or something.

Yep. If he truly needs shoulder surgery, why bother at this point? O's should cut their losses and Hobgood should take whatever's left of the $2.4M signing bonus and go back to school. Maybe join a softball team or something.

The Orioles are basically obligated to get him fixed, even if he never pitches again. If the injury occurred while he was pitching, they are basically required to pay for the surgery from what I understand.

The Orioles are basically obligated to get him fixed, even if he never pitches again. If the injury occurred while he was pitching, they are basically required to pay for the surgery from what I understand.

I think the rumors are the injury took place either at the Oriole tryout or the summer before he signed. Regardless we will fix him and cross our fingers. But realistically I figure he has less than a 5% chance of getting to the bigs now.

He was a pretty good high school hitter from what I understand. Maybe he can try that route since pitching has not gone as planned.

Yep, either have to pay out the contract or get him to agree to a medical buy-out. No one does that in MLB though because of the years of control.

Is the only way to get a return on Hobgood is to let him have the surgery and see if he can be a hitter? Maybe 1st base?

Is the only way to get a return on Hobgood is to let him have the surgery and see if he can be a hitter? Maybe 1st base?

Why have the surgery at all if he's going to be a hitter? As a position player, especially at 1B, he may be able to play with the same injury that he can't pitch with.

Why have the surgery at all if he's going to be a hitter? As a position player, especially at 1B, he may be able to play with the same injury that he can't pitch with.

He is actimg like there is nothing really wrong. Either he is a peace with his situation, or doesn't have a lot of angst about it.

I'm not trying to be mean to the guy, but he doesn't look athletic to me in that picture. He is standing spraddle-legged and it looks natural. I've never seen an athlete voluntarily stand like that. His pecs are sitting lower on his chest than mine do and I'm almost 42. Same with his deltoids. If this is significantly better shape for him than he must have looked pretty awful in prior seasons and I'd guess he is a serious bad body guy for a "professional athlete". Why would someone look at this guy and think "top 5 pick"? I really don't understand. He screams average athlete or worse to me. Athleticism isn't everything, but I don't think it is too much to ask for a good arm, good head, and good athleticism at #5 in the draft.

Again, I know he sometimes reads this site and I'm not trying to be mean, but I was shocked the Orioles invested the money they did when I saw this picture regardless of his results over the last two years.

He's not good enough of a position player to make it. Especially at 1B you have to have a SPECIAL bat to make it and it's just not ML good.

I'm not trying to be mean to the guy, but he doesn't look athletic to me in that picture. He is standing spraddle-legged and it looks natural. I've never seen an athlete voluntarily stand like that. His pecs are sitting lower on his chest than mine do and I'm almost 42. Same with his deltoids. If this is significantly better shape for him than he must have looked pretty awful in prior seasons and I'd guess he is a serious bad body guy for a "professional athlete". Why would someone look at this guy and think "top 5 pick"? I really don't understand. He screams average athlete or worse to me. Athleticism isn't everything, but I don't think it is too much to ask for a good arm, good head, and good athleticism at #5 in the draft.

Again, I know he sometimes reads this site and I'm not trying to be mean, but I was shocked the Orioles invested the money they did when I saw this picture regardless of his results over the last two years.

I would'nt read much into the photo. He had to know that the bad news was coming when Doc took this pic. Hard to be standing straight and perky when you know career ending surgery is possible. Remember that Hobgood didn't draft himself #5, The O's drafted him. If he was hurt at Bluefield that first season, he has taken alot of grief on the board for things he has no control over. I guarantee there is nobody on earth more disappoointed in this turn of events then Matt Hobgood.

• Upvote 1

It is simple, he had a good story and our guy jumped on it.

I don't think you could rationally look at Hobgood and see top 5 unless you were trying very hard.

He's not good enough of a position player to make it. Especially at 1B you have to have a SPECIAL bat to make it and it's just not ML good.

How do you know?