Frobby

Things to do in Philly?

I am spending a few days with my wife and teenage son in Philadelphia next week. Of course, we plan to go see Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. If anyone has suggestions of other good things to do, please post them here.

Reading Terminal Market for DiNic's.

Run up the steps at the Art Museum and strike a Rocky pose. I have never been in the museum but I hear it's world-class.

Elfreth Alley, the oldest continuously-inhabited street in America. Betsy Ross house is close by.

Geno's and Pat's cheesecake corner. I prefer Pat's over Geno's, but I hear Tony Luke's is even better.

You'll just miss a Phillies game. Their stadium is kinda nice, an early example of the next-gen stadiums like the Nats stadium.

Not sure if you'll be able to, or even want to drink, but there are a ton of great bars in the city. Monk's Cafe, Village Whiskey, Standard Tap, etc..

Edited by NewMarketSean

Reading Terminal Market for DiNic's.

Run up the steps at the Art Museum and strike a Rocky pose. I have never been in the museum but I hear it's world-class.

Elfreth Alley, the oldest continuously-inhabited street in America. Betsy Ross house is close by.

Geno's and Pat's cheesecake corner. I prefer Pat's over Geno's, but I hear Tony Luke's is even better.

You'll just miss a Phillies game. Their stadium is kinda nice, an early example of the next-gen stadiums like the Nats stadium.

Not sure if you'll be able to, or even want to drink, but there are a ton of great bars in the city. Monk's Cafe, Village Whiskey, Standard Tap, etc..

Pat's is supposed to be WAY better than Geno's, but I've only had Tony Luke's, and it was incredible. Plus, it's convenient to Independence Hall and the stadium complex, so you won't have to go far out of your way. You won't be disapppointed!

Art museum is very nice. There is a Van Gogh exhibit going on now.

Tony Luke's is way better than Pat & Gino.

Fairmount Park is nice.

Old City (around 2nd & Walnut or further south) is cool.

Frobby, are you a Bruce Springsteen fan? They are having an exhibit up there about him until September. Check that out.

Also.....yea.....put one of these inside your belly....

The whole "Tony Luke's is better" is just something hipsters say.

2547430702_45bd078da0.jpg

• Upvote 1

Every Philly person I've ever talked to about cheesesteaks says to avoid Pat's or Geno's. Jim's is top notch and I've heard John's is great. Tony Luke's is also good and I've heard of a few others that I can't recall that are recommended over the touristy locations.

Also, from what I understand, the roast pork is just as much a Philly thing as the cheesesteak, but the latter is what's known to tourists.

As NMS mentioned, if you are into beer, there are many tremendous bars to choose from. It's quite possibly the best beer city east of the Rockies.

I would recommend the Mutter Museum if you want to see some medical oddities.

The Museum of Art is great.

I did a very good walking tour of Philadelphia under British occupation offered by the NPS.

The zoo is roughly on par with the DC zoo and the aquarium in Camden is good if you have any interest.

Edited by mweb

OK listen up Frobby.

John's roast pork on Snyder Ave has the best cheesesteak in the city. I work with a guy who is down in Hampton Roads and we have to meet once every 3 months to physically exchange some crypto, and he straight up refuses to let me meet him anywhere but here because he wants any excuse to get these steaks. He takes 5 home with him for his family. http://www.johnsroastpork.com/

The Schmitter is a must. http://mcnallystavern.com/

Paesano's has the best sandwich I've ever had. The Bolognese http://www.paesanosphillystyle.com/menu.html

This place has an awesome awesome set of sandwiches. Great South Philly dive. http://www.nicksroastbeef.com/

Please do not go to Pats/Genos. Tony Luke's is meh. Stick with John's. The roast pork there is awesome too (dinicks is good too, and Reading Terminal is fun).

As far as Elfreth's Alley, its cool but I lived half a block away for 6 months and I kinda don't see the point. Its SUPER touristy and its just a street with really old looking houses. I thought the coolest thing was one house has a giant british flag and it kinda fits the street for some reason. Old City is cool to walk around though. I lived right across from the Christ Church which is pretty cool (and I'm not religious). The best place to eat in Old City (and has GREAT beer) is the Khyber. Surf and Turf po'boy is the ill-nah-nah.

The Moshulu is notorious for having rats and locals do not eat there.

As far as cultural stuff, I defer. I'm only interested in eating and drinking because I'm an alcoholic fat ass.

Edited by McNulty
  • Upvote 2

The zoo is roughly on par with the DC zoo and the aquarium in Camden is good if you have any interest.

The problem with that is you have to go to Camden.

The problem with that is you have to go to Camden.

You live in Philly? How long has this been going on? How are you liking it?

I'm in Queen Village (joke set up!) and I love this hood.

You live in Philly? How long has this been going on? How are you liking it?

I'm in Queen Village (joke set up!) and I love this hood.

About a year and a half. It's not bad. I've lived in small towns all my life, so it took some getting used to. I'm in the NE....so that detracts from some of the enjoyment ;)

About a year and a half. It's not bad. I've lived in small towns all my life, so it took some getting used to. I'm in the NE....so that detracts from some of the enjoyment ;)

Fishtown is as far NE as I'll go.