erb8472

2nd Round - Capitals vs Rangers

Playoff hockey is kinda the best hockey. This coming from a neophyte.

Playoff hockey is awesome until it's not. I love the intensity of playoff hockey.

I think we are better than the Rags and, IMO, the Bruins were better than the Rags.

It's really a matter of not letting the Rags out-work us by too much and we should win. I saw some of the Ottawa series and we are going to score in situations where the Sens did not.

Anyone else a little cheesed at the refereeing? I mean, every single trip was called against the Caps in the Bruins series. I tune in half-way through the second period tonight and see four or five Caps being tripped by the Rags with no calls.

Not sure of Green's contract status, but I am sure I can find posts going back two years saying he was overrated generally - especially for his contract. I hope we give Orlov a shot next year and drop Green. Offer long term $ to Carlson and Alzner.

• Upvote 1

Not sure of Green's contract status, but I am sure I can find posts going back two years saying he was overrated generally - especially for his contract. I hope we give Orlov a shot next year and drop Green. Offer long term $ to Carlson and Alzner.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/931448/Capitals_Salary_Cap_Numbers_11-12_Web.htm

Green is a Restricted Free Agent but is Arbitration Eligble. Alzner is under contract for another year before also becoming an RFA and arbitration eligble, while Carlson will be an RFA after this season. Carlson will certainly be back and hopefully they can get a long term deal done and then take care of Alzner next year. Hamrlik, Schultz and Erskine are all signed for next year as well as Orlov who the Caps have on the cheap. I don't see them resigning Wideman so that's 4+ million a year that can be used for Carlson and Alzner. So even if Wideman leaves that still means there are 6 DMen returning. (I'm not counting Poti as I expect him to retire or go to LTIR). Hard to believe, but Green could be the odd man out. Pains me to say that as I've always been a big fan of Game Over. Injuries seem to have really taken a toll on him. I'm hesitant to lose him for nothing, so I'm on the fence about if the Caps should offer him some sort of deal, with all of his injuries he's had he should be able to be signed at a discount. If the Caps can get him cheap I'd bring him back.

We should be able to win this in six. Both teams play a very stifling defense with one big difference = Washington still has players that can play explosive offensive hockey, NY doesn't have anyone, outside of maybe Richards/Gaborik. If the Devils can figure out the Flyers, I think out path to the SCF is pretty open, but I think the Flyers will be an enormous challenge for us.

What a clutch shot by Ovie!!!! it was a good team win , hopefully we can take the next two at home. Holtby came up huge again last night especially on that break away late, I have been really impressed the way guys like Knuble, Ward, Aucoin, Hendricks,Brouwer have stepped up big time in the playoffs. How many goal post have we clanked off of in this series already???? has to be atleast six and the Rangers hasve a few times as well.

What do yall think about Ovi only getting 3.5 minutes of ice time in the 1st period?

Also, what the heck is this all about? http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=630261

He needs to learn how to play defense, although I think part of it was he was trying to save his legs for later in the game when the Rags were worn down.

And it sucks, KHL can pay waaaaay more money to him at 20 than his rookie contract here will allow, so I have a feeling that is part of the problem. Would be a big save if he came over this year, but he might become a major trade chip if not.

And it sucks, KHL can pay waaaaay more money to him at 20 than his rookie contract here will allow, so I have a feeling that is part of the problem. Would be a big save if he came over this year, but he might become a major trade chip if not.

Here's what I don't understand, did he sign a contract with us, and if so, how does a contract allow for such leeway?

Could he potentially play out his entire contract with us without ever coming to the US?

Here's what I don't understand, did he sign a contract with us, and if so, how does a contract allow for such leeway?

Could he potentially play out his entire contract with us without ever coming to the US?

He doesn't have a contract signed with us, we only own his rights. So, if he ever decides to play stateside, he would play for us, but there's no guarantee that we'll ever see him, which is pretty sad. This does happen more than you'd think though. For instance, Stefan Soberg, a goalie we drafted last year, just signed a 4 year deal in Sweden, so we may never see him as well.

• Upvote 1

No, they sign whenever they want after you draft them. Many times that is the plan to leave them overseas for a couple years and THEN start the 3 year contract clock (max rookie contract length). There is no expiration on owning their rights though, so if they EVER want to come over, they still have to go to that team that drafted them. Things are dicey with the KHL now though, they are funded by uh...a lot of secret money...so they can just throw truckloads of cash at players to not play here.

He will be over, his whole thing was to play in the next olympics, so he wants to focus on that and only that and he'll be over after that I'm sure.

Guys can also bail on contracts overseas and sign here during them, but there is a major issue with that and the KHL right now, so I doubt you see it happen there, you might see it with the Sweedish kid though, although I would leave him there for 4 years, develop the other goalie we took behind Grubauer here, and then bring him over in 4 years if you have a place for him and he's ready.

Basically not signing them right away works like extending your minor league team base, lending out a player to an overseas minor league org. can be good development and they don't ALWAYS need time in the N. American minors.

Entertaining game so far. Caps are lookin solid, avoid any silly penalties here in the 3rd and I like their chances.