paulcoates

Shohei Otani

4 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Pearson was the Angels 3rd Rd pick this year and was an overslot signing.  The Angels traded him for theoretically a better chance of signing Ohtani. That should confirm how highly teams value Ohtani.

O's could have restocked the farm if they'd held on to their bonus pool money instead of trading it in dribs and drabs for suspects.

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

Angels and Mariners each just traded a player to the Twins for a million dollars in international bonus pool $.

Angels send Jacob Pearson to the Twins, Mariners send David Banuelos to the Twins.

Seems like they got much better value than what DD has gotten when he’s given away our bonus slot money. Don’t we still have $600k left?  That should be a an asset to trade a team in on Otanhi. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seems like they got much better value than what DD has gotten when he’s given away our bonus slot money. Don’t we still have $600k left?  That should be a an asset to trade a team in on Otanhi. 

It’s being misreported a lot on Twitter and by Baseball America but I believe it’s only 160k.

The 500k ish numbers people are throwing around don’t take in consideration the 4 IFA the Orioles signed for about 340k total.

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There are a lot of things for which Duquette can be fairly criticized, but as far as I can tell the failure to foresee that international bonus slot money would become the only currency that could be used to bid for the services of a ML-ready player of Otanhi's caliber is not one of them. 

28 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How's it going, everyone?  Am I to assume that all threads about Shohei Otani are but wild speculation?  There's no way the O's are even on his radar, correct? 

I don't recall anyone being at all optimistic that the Orioles would sign him.

38 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How's it going, everyone?  Am I to assume that all threads about Shohei Otani are but wild speculation?  There's no way the O's are even on his radar, correct? 

He's narrowed his list to 7 teams, 5 on the west coast.

Since he can only be signed for international bonus pool money, which we have very little of, we were probably never in the running.   He sent a questionnaire to every MLB team asking about team philosophy, locale, why he should play for their team.

I think we can assume he has set some kind of floor on the bonus he will take, probably $2.5 million or so, because Anaheim and Seattle just traded decent prospects to the twins for $1 million in international signing pool money each, and both of them crossed that line.   Texas has the most to spend ($3.3 million or something like that) but the difference is probably great enough that he'll sign with whatever team he wants that is over his arbitrary limit, basing his choice on all the factors he is interested in.

All speculation, except the fact that the list is down to 5 west coast teams (all but Oakland) plus the Rangers and Cubs. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm pretty positive that he has a short list of 7 teams and the only team on his list East of the Mississippi was Chicago. I could be wrong. Lets have another 50 pages of speculation, though. Makes the off-season which I find the least interesting time of the year somewhat entertaining.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Drungo sighting!    Wher’ve you been — real life getting in the way?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he is as projected that gives them a very interesting core to build around.

Mariners and Angels definitely are making things interesting in the AL West.

Also, Angels will be in Baltimore June 29-July 1st (weekend series) if anyone is curious.

• Upvote 2