Tony-OH

21-30 prospects along with Players to watch

Here's 21-30 with some players to watch. If you have specific questions about anyone just ask in this thread.

21. Oliver Drake -RHP: Would have been higher but shoulder concerns make him a question mark and the fact the Orioles took him off their 40-man suggest they are not sure about his shoulder either.

22. Bobby Bundy - RHP: - Another injury guy. The Orioles may try the older Bundy as a reliever where they think his velocity and stuff may play up.

23. Glynn Davis - CF: - Some scouts still are on the Davis bandwagon and others were turned off by his 2012 season. I really thought there was more power in that bat but he seem to sell out his power while trying to become a punch and judy slap hitter. Some scouts believe he dogs it a bit as well. He needs to get stronger.

24. Torsten Boss - 3B: - I may be higher on him then others, but I like his defense and if the Orioles experiment with him at second base bears fruit, then he could have some nice value. the bat is a question mark but he's got some potential.

25. Caleb Joseph - C: - The Orioles seem less on Joesph than we are, but his numbers suggest he's improved his throwing and he might hit enough to be a back up. A gamer's attitude, he could find himself in the mix for a backup job somewhere soon.

26. Clay Schrader - RHP: - He has a top ten arm, but just brutal command. Gets most of his strikeouts by inexperienced batter either chasing his fastball up or his curveball in the dirt.

27. Michael Ohlman - 1B/C: There are things to not like about Ohlman like his suspension for using a "drug of abuse" and the fact that he still has no real position. Saying that, he put up a nice average and solid K-Bb ratio last year and if his power comes, he might become interesting still.

28. Gregory Lorenzo - OF: Toolsy Dominican outfielder who just kept raking the ball all over the field. Doesn't walk, but I've always said, if you don't walk, you better hit for a high average and that's what he did in 2012. Whether his free swinging ways will work against better pitching remains to be seen.

29. Bennett Parry - LHP: Hulking left-hander misses bats despite barely hitting 90 MPH in the radar gun. Could be a real sleeper though.

30. Zach Clark - RHP: Good news story for a local undrafted guy. Hung around, added velocity and command of four pitches and despite his advanced age, got himself placed on the 40-man roster. Could help in middle relief or maybe even as a 5th starter.

Players To Watch

Brenden Webb* - OF: Toolsy outfielder really had a nice year in Frederick, but the better pitchers give him fits and he's still got king size holes in his swing. Double-A should be a make or break level for him.

Stuart Pomeranz - RHP: Hit the fountain of youth or something with the Orioles last season. The question is, was that one of those season or can he regain it again next season?

Pat Egan RHP:- I would not be surprised if Egan is taken again in the Rule 5 draft. He gets a lot of ground balls and had a great year last year, despite an inconsistent slider.

Sander Beck RHP:- Another one of those undrafted surprise pitchers. Beck was clocked as high as 95 mph and put up good K numbers at Aberdeen.

Brian Ward - Can't hit his weight, but some scouts still think very highly of his defensive skills and could end up in the bigs as a back up catcher one day.

Jason Esposito - 3B: - He's on here for no other reason then he's a 2nd round pick who can't be as bad as he was in his professional debut.

Lex Rutledge - LHP: Good strong arm with control issues.

Juan Guzman - RHP: Good solid pitcher who missed some bats with mediocre stuff.

Mike Belfiore - LHP: Some scouts like his arm and with a fastball between 91-94 MPH it's understandable. Unfortunately he doesn't have a lot of movement on the pitch and his breaking ball is underwhelming.

Brandon Waring - 3B/1B: Re-found his power stroke last year and played a solid first base at Bowie and reportedly played a solid 3B in Norfolk. Swings and misses a lot and most scouts think he's a AAAA guy.

Tony,

Roger Bernadina popped up on some lists last year. He missed about half the season but wasn't awful at Delmarva. Has he completely fallen off the map?

Tony,

Roger Bernadina popped up on some lists last year. He missed about half the season but wasn't awful at Delmarva. Has he completely fallen off the map?

Roger Bernadina is the Nats' 4th OF. Roderick Bernadina is the O's prospect. I think they're brothers.

And yes, I'm also curious about the omission. Bernadina put up decent numbers in a small sample at Delmarva, and he's only 19. He's a bit ahead of, for example, Glynn Davis if you're only looking at the numbers.

I know Trent Mummey had a poor year and has been injury prone but I think he might be the better overall prospect amongst Avery, Glynn Davis, and the like.

Tony,

I'm not on him. Doesn't really have a plus skill. Doesn't hit for power, average speed, average defensive outfielder, doesn't walk a bunch. He hit for a little average at Delmarva but brought little else. Not sure what the fascination is with him honestly. No one in the organization really talks him up too much either.

I know Trent Mummey had a poor year and has been injury prone but I think he might be the better overall prospect amongst Avery, Glynn Davis, and the like.

The guy can't stay on the field. I was a Mummey guy before and may have agreed with you last year, but after a few years of the same thing, it's become pretty apparent he just can't stay on the field and when he does, he's bringing a very ordinary skill set.

Seems a little strange that Pomeranz and Belfiore can be on the 40 man roster but can't make the top 30 prospects.

I think that, clearly, relief pitchers are prime candidates to be popped in the Rule V draft(especially those who are near major league ready). This may be why they were protected.

Is Hector Veloz considered a bust at this point? Does Matt Bywater have a chance to be a loogy down the road?

Too early to call Veloz a bust. He's just simply young and unproven at this point. He might put himself on the prospect radar next year with a decent season at Aberdeen

Let's say Lorenzo's free swinging ways do continue to work effectively against better pitching. Is there potential for power down the road with this kid or is he a more of a slap hitting 4th outfielder type if all breaks right for him?

Seems a little strange that Pomeranz and Belfiore can be on the 40 man roster but can't make the top 30 prospects.

The only reason for prospects to be on the 40-man is to protect them from the Rule 5 draft. Most of these guys haven't been in the minors long enough to be eligible or are too far away from the majors for another team to use on their roster.

Pomeranz and Belfiore, as high-minors relievers, are the most likely players to be taken.

• Upvote 1

23. Glynn Davis - CF: - Some scouts still are on the Davis bandwagon and others were turned off by his 2012 season. I really thought there was more power in that bat but he seem to sell out his power while trying to become a punch and judy slap hitter. Some scouts believe he dogs it a bit as well. He needs to get stronger.

That's concerning.