Il BuonO

The Lakers Blew It By Not Hiring Phil

They have won a couple in a row, but it's clear that they don't have the personnel to implement D'Antoni's system. Howard is a back to the basket center who would have been the perfect fit in the triangle even with his limited offensive skill set.

It hasn't helped that he has almost refused to run a pick and roll with a guy who is an assist icon in the NBA. Coupled with fact they have older players in Bryant, Gasol and Nash who are not well suited to be running up and down the floor at this stage in their careers and you have an epically bad decision not to hire a guy who had won multiple championships with a player once seen as selfish in Bryant.

Now that player is Howard who couldn't win a championship on an Orlando team as the focal point and who's act is wearing thin.

The Lakers made poorly a calculated play by thinking that D'Antoni and Nash would somehow convince Howard to work into a system he really has never been a part of before.

It isn't working. Phil would have had a much easier time with the current team implementing the triangle without all the talk of trading Gasol. Now, if anyone is to be traded it should be Howard. He doesn't look to be happy and he's a limited player with injury issues. Not a good long term bet for an extension.

Been watching the Lakers all season long. Somewhere along the way I went from laughing to feeling pity for them.

They have looked so bad at times. Clueless team defense, inability to rebound, getting destroyed on the pick and roll, Pau looking old and slow, Nash a liability on the defensive end, Kobe a ball stopper hoisting up insane shots, and Dwight with some of the worst post moves I have ever seen. Kwame-esque down on the block.

Last two games they have looked great though. Nash and Kobe have gotten Dwight some lobs. Pau's game is showing life and Kobe finally stopped shooting. 14 assists in back to back games.

As for Phil. Think there was talk of him wanting to skip games because he didn't want to travel a lot and him wanting lots of say in personnel decisions so they went with the other guy.

Was Phil interested?

Yeah, if I'm remembering it right, they were in the middle of negotiating with Phil (or so Phil thought) and then they suddenly hired D'Antoni. Phil was kind of annoyed when that happened, which I guess means he was interested.

On another note, the NBA blew it years ago with their marketing strategies and the manner in which the games are played. It's completely unwatchable, IMO. The only team that actually plays real basketball, the Spurs, are blackballed by Stern because they're not interesting enough, or don't fit his marketing strategy.

Mike Brown was never the right choice. I say this as a huge Lakers fan, but this whole thing is a big tragedy for Kobe Bryant. D'Antoni was not the right choice, and everyone saw that coming. Nash is 38 and Pau and Kobe are getting up there. Steve Blake was going to be out for the season and is really the only PG that knew the previous system. Duhon isn't a suitable back up. There was never any way with this current personal that the team could win under D'Antoni and his record in NY shows he clashes with stars (hello, we have 3). Even if you replace D'Antoni at the end of the year, you still have money tied up in Brown and you've wasted 1 (really 2) years of one of the greatest players in the history of the sport. They came up short in Phil's last year, they came up short last year, and this year, its going to be a mountain to climb to even get the 7th or 8th spot and go to the playoffs.

So frustrating.

At some point you've got to cut the losses and move forward in some direction. Howard is a free agent. In 2 years virtually none of these players will be on the roster unless Kobe is still in the game. They either have to figure out how to get there and contend now and next year (after re-signing Howard) or just get it over with and move on. The latter isn't suitable for Kobe, it wouldn't have been suitable for Jordan either.

In their last 2 games, the Lakers went 2-0 with a twist in stats.

High-scoring Kobe Bryant had less points, but a lot of assists.

102-84 win over the Jazz: OOo.ll.l. 14 Points, 14 Assists

105-96 win over the Thunder:Oll) 21 Points, 14 Assists

Assist king Steve Nash had less assists, but more points. 

102-84 win over the Jazz: OOllll)lll. 15 Points, 2 Assists

105-96 win over the Thunder:Ollll 17 Points, 5 Assists

On the other hand, one alarming negative factor stood out to me ...... the team's awful free-throw shooting in both games:

102-84 win over the Jazz: Ollllllll)lO). 7-for 13

105-96 win over the Thunder: lllllO 16-for-29

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOlllllllllolllOOO) 23-for-42 (55 percent)

Edited by OFFNY

Been watching the Lakers all season long. Somewhere along the way I went from laughing to feeling pity for them.

They have looked so bad at times. Clueless team defense, inability to rebound, getting destroyed on the pick and roll, Pau looking old and slow, Nash a liability on the defensive end, Kobe a ball stopper hoisting up insane shots, and Dwight with some of the worst post moves I have ever seen. Kwame-esque down on the block.

Last two games they have looked great though. Nash and Kobe have gotten Dwight some lobs. Pau's game is showing life and Kobe finally stopped shooting. 14 assists in back to back games.

As for Phil. Think there was talk of him wanting to skip games because he didn't want to travel a lot and him wanting lots of say in personnel decisions so they went with the other guy.

This is true, except for Kobe. I've heard different accounts from people inside the locker room that both he and Nash, even Artest have gone to Howard and tried to get him to fit in and it's clear it isn't working. Kobe forces shots usually when he feels he isn't getting any help from his teammates.

As far as Phil, they had his agent on a plane and signed D'Antoni before the meeting ever took place. They could have negotiated all that, but I contend(along with various commentators here in L.A.) that somewhere along the line they made a choice to go with the combo of Nash and D'Antoni.

Bad decision with the team they had assembled, it just doesn't fit that style of play. It might but I think it's too little too late for this season.

Nahlens tonight and then the Grammy road trip. Seven games in 13 days. Ummpphh....now we'll see what their made of. My prediction: they win tonight and go 4-3 on the road trip. Some very winnable games there. Brooklyn and Boston are back to back but with a day off in between. And they finish up with the Heat. Yuck.

Edited by Il BuonO

These Laker games are getting rather dramatic. Build big leads, choke them away, crazy endings. Nash missed two free throws in a row at the end. :eektf:

And I'm gonna say it, Old Pau > Young Howard. Great passing, post up moves, left handed shots, right handed shots, face up shots, smart on the pick and rolls...

These Laker games are getting rather dramatic. Build big leads, choke them away, crazy endings. Nash missed two free throws in a row at the end. :eektf:

And I'm gonna say it, Old Pau > Young Howard. Great passing, post up moves, left handed shots, right handed shots, face up shots, smart on the pick and rolls...

From what I have been hearing there is no such player as "Young Howard". The guy playing for the Lakers isn't displaying the sheer athleticism that Howard did in previous years.

Yeah, everything they thought they might be getting in Howard. he is a one dimensional player.

From what I have been hearing there is no such player as "Young Howard". The guy playing for the Lakers isn't displaying the sheer athleticism that Howard did in previous years.

He is playing with an injured shoulder right now, but there have been questions as to his lack of willingness to learn the pick and roll with Nash. I mean, really if there is one guy who is going to make life easier for you than Nash I'd like to know who it is. And not even wanting to learn says he knows his abilities are limited on the offensive end and he doesn't want to embarrass himself.

He is playing with an injured shoulder right now, but there have been questions as to his lack of willingness to learn the pick and roll with Nash. I mean, really if there is one guy who is going to make life easier for you than Nash I'd like to know who it is. And not even wanting to learn says he knows his abilities are limited on the offensive end and he doesn't want to embarrass himself.

I didn't just mean that I mean running the floor and jumping as well. His athleticism used to be off the charts, now he seems...normal.

I didn't just mean that I mean running the floor and jumping as well. His athleticism used to be off the charts, now he seems...normal.

I think you are correct. I know he likes to refer to himself as Superman, but he looks like a mere mortal.

In their last 2 games, the Lakers went 2-0 with a twist in stats.

High-scoring Kobe Bryant had less points, but a lot of assists.

102-84 win over the Jazz: OOo. 14 Points, 14 Assists

105-96 win over the Thunder:O 21 Points, 14 Assists

Assist king Steve Nash had less assists, but more points.

102-84 win over the Jazz: OOo. 15 Points, 2 Assists

105-96 win over the Thunder:O 17 Points, 5 Assists

On the other hand, one alarming negative factor stood out to me ...... the team's awful free-throw shooting in both games:

102-84 win over the Jazz: OO). 7-for 13

105-96 win over the Thunder: 16-for-29

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) 23-for-42 (55 percent)

The Lakers are 14-7 when Bryant has at least 6 assists, and 8-19 when he doesn't.