Oldorioles

2013-2014 Orioles Off-Season Moves Tracker

Once again this year, I'll be tracking all the player additions and losses in the Orioles organization. We've already had a couple reported.

LOSSES:

Minor League Free Agency:

- Taylor Teagarden

- Jairo Asencio

Awesome. I enjoy reading this thread in the offseason.

We re-signed Garabez Rosa and Marcel Prado. They remain with us.

Thanks Billy, I updated the OP. They both had nice years, glad to see them re-signed.

Also, for any players we add to the organization, I'll try to link in their baseball reference page.

We re-signed Tim Alderson (our bounty from trading Luis Ayala). We also signed Cam Kneeland, our first Independent League signee this year. Kneeland mainly held down the 3B position for the Trois-Rivieres Aigles of the Can-AM League, his baseball-reference page is attached in the OP.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/minor-league-transactions-oct-31-nov-6/

Edited by Oldorioles

We re-signed Tim Alderson (our bounty from trading Luis Ayala). We also signed Cam Kneeland, our first Independent League signee this year. Kneeland mainly held down the 3B position for the Trois-Rivieres Aigles of the Can-AM League, his baseball-reference page is attached in the OP.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/minor-league-transactions-oct-31-nov-6/

Alderson was the Canzler deal. BTW, he was a first round pick.

Chris Jones was the Ayala deal.

The Orioles signed their first international player of the offseason, inking 18 year old Juan Diego Montes. He hails from Guatemala. Most media are incorrectly reporting that he is the second player we have signed from there (they mention Aguilar). We also have Manny Hernandez as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Rumors and News

• I'm a big fan of signing Dickey.  I think he will be a steal and the O's could get him for something like 1 year/$8 mill.  I'm not sold  on Mikolas unless he's a 6th starter.  Kim was an MVP in KBO.  Who knows how his numbers will translate.  I would like to see the O's sign one of Cobb/Chatwood, Dickey, and one of Gonzalez/Tillman.  
    • You have the right to your opinion.  I'd say the stats don't back it up.  He had a .654 OPS (about 20% worse than league average) in his second year in AA.  Let's assume he can produce just as well at the MLB level, which is quite the generous assumption.  If he could put up that line, it'd be 32nd of 35 second basemen with 400 or more ABs.  Even if you assume he's an above average fielder (my time watching him says more average) and he steals over 20 bases(only stole 8 last year), he'd still be nothing more than replacement level.   There is a reason he wasn't on the top 30 prospects list.  He wasn't even in my top 45 or so I considered.  His ceiling is utility infielder, and to reach that ceiling he'll need a major uptake in power or he'll need to cut his strikeout rate in half (19% is extremely high for someone who doesn't hit for any power).
    • Marin is a good player in my opinion and would be an asset. A career .265 hitter and a guy who can play three positions with a .966 career fielding percentage. And he can add some speed as his 25 SBs in 2015 would attest. 
    • I'm glad you're not the GM.   You have 45-50M per year tied up for the next 2 years, at least, if not more by overpaying for mediocre pitching,  two (Chatwood and Cobb) who have never come close to pitching 200 innings in any one season, and all three who have undergone major surgery at least once and twice for Chatwood.      You are gambling on two fronts.  Peformance which there are red flags for all three pitchers and durability which there again red flags for all three pitchers.    My options give you limited liability, just as much durability, and in the grand scheme a good chance of similar performance for this year. Dickey put up a 2.2 WAR this year. Chatwood put up a 2.2 WAR in 2017 Vargas put up a 3.8 WAR this year Cobb put up a 2.3 WAR this year. You know who has the greatest probability of those three pitchers, staying on the field, making 30 starts and putting up 2 WAR or better?    Dickey would be in the top 2 if not number 1.   Do you think the Orioles have a realistic chance of signing Cobb?    If you do, you haven't been following the same team I have.   My signings are in line with what the Orioles would/could actually do while providing significant improvement over last year's staff.
    • Yes (20 million). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Orioles have never stated that they are adverse to paying a posting fee, and I believe have placed non-winning posting bids (under the old system where the highest bidder gets to negotiate).  They didn't bother with Tanaka, because he'd require a big contract in addition to the posting fee.  Ohtani is restricted from getting a big contract.
    •   So your first offseason move is to sign a broken down pitcher with a 5.00 ERA and your okay with it?  LOL. I take you as someone who is more intelligent than that. You should read your own website more closely.
    • Glad your not the GM! Talk about Dumster Diving. Give me Cobb , Vargas, Chatwood, and the Dodgers Barlow (trade/Rule 5)
  • Popular Contributors