MemorialStadKid

Per ESPN: Orioles need to make a bold statement this offseason...

Angelos misread the article. He thought it said "Bald Statement."

So he's taking the $25 million in extra TV money this year, buying a private jet and flying off to the fanciest hair rejuvenation clinic in Switzerland.

• Upvote 1

'Last offseason was an opportunity for the O's to take advantage of an AL East without a dominant team and use the winter to improve. Instead, they did just about nothing. They retained Nate McLouth on a one-year deal and took a chance on former Braves pitcher Jair Jurrjens.'

Except, ya know, for the team that tied for the best record in baseball with the best run differential in baseball in the best overall division in baseball. That AL east sure turned out to be ripe for the plucking :P.

Maybe Tom Clancy will leave half the 200 million he made off the team with instructions "Spend it all, you cheap so and so and win it all for the fans"

Go with Clevenger? Seriously?

Seriously. I mean...could you imagine going into a season counting on a catcher who can't hit? That would be crazy.

• Upvote 1

This is what I hate though...all the other teams that finished around us are going to make moves to improve and we're going to do nothing. All we get is a bargain bin LF at like $3 million and bring back a crappy Scott Feldman. It's depressing. We actually have a window to make deep playoff runs and ownership/the front office is blowing it.

The off-season has barely started, and you are already blaming the front office. Lay off them and in March if they haven't done anything, then yell and scream, to do so now, is just crazy.

Maybe Tom Clancy will leave half the 200 million he made off the team with instructions "Spend it all, you cheap so and so and win it all for the fans"

You may want to read up on Mr. Clancy's philosophies and world views.

Seriously. I mean...could you imagine going into a season counting on a catcher who can't hit? That would be crazy.

It would be nice of Clevenger were a major league catcher. Maybe he is. It would be nice if Steve can hit major league pitching while playing 130 games in a season. I hope he could. I am good at the wish and hope stuff.

This is what I hate though...all the other teams that finished around us are going to make moves to improve and we're going to do nothing. All we get is a bargain bin LF at like $3 million and bring back a crappy Scott Feldman. It's depressing. We actually have a window to make deep playoff runs and ownership/the front office is blowing it.

It is not depressing at all to me. I look at what the Blue Jays did last offseason.

spending like they did didnt help them. I will not condemn DD before I see what

he will do. If you aren't going to get top talent for Matt why trade him then? I

don't know what TOR's are available. I will be patient. Sorry to tell you but I was

pretty with the season the O's had. Yes I would have liked them to be in the

playoffs. But it is a building process. Kevin G. will be be back and maybe Bundy

will be back maybe late season. Schoop may be able to start at 2nd. I have a lot

of hope for next season. I will trust DD to add where needed.

I hope you're not saying Wieters' MLB-average hitting performance in 2600 PAs is the equivalent of Steve Clevenger's handful of MLB at bats OPSing in the low .500s at the same age. Wieters hit as well at 23 in a pitcher's paradise in the IL as Clevenger did at 25-27 in the same leagues/parks that made Scott Moore and Felix Pie look awesome.

It would be nice of Clevenger were a major league catcher. Maybe he is. It would be nice if Steve can hit major league pitching while playing 130 games in a season. I hope he could. I am good at the wish and hope stuff.

I have to think that the O's, if they go with a cheap position-sharing arrangement, would only play Clevenger (or whomever the starter is) 100-ish games. And that's if he plays well.

I would love to see the O' at least be in on Tanaka, ditto Abreu. Between the two of them I doubt it adds more than 20 M to the payroll, and they solve our two biggest problems. Not too excited by Josh Johnson. I'd trade Wieters if he doesn't want to extend. He has more value this year than he would next. The question is what contending team with a surplus of SP, needs a C?

I would love to see the O' at least be in on Tanaka, ditto Abreu. Between the two of them I doubt it adds more than 20 M to the payroll, and they solve our two biggest problems. Not too excited by Josh Johnson. I'd trade Wieters if he doesn't want to extend. He has more value this year than he would next. The question is what contending team with a surplus of SP, needs a C?

Have you actually seen anything to indicate he doesn't want to extend?

Remember just because Boras says something, mean it comes from Matt.

Have you actually seen anything to indicate he doesn't want to extend?

Remember just because Boras says something, mean it comes from Matt.

Yes, there was an article a while back were DD said that they had approached Wieters about extending, but at the time there was no interest. More recently he sounded not very hopeful when talking about extending both Wieters and Davis in the radio interview. And he did this in the context of having recently met with Boras.