Frobby

Snyder's attempt to defuse the "Redskins" name controversy

I haven't known many Native Americans in my life. I haven't lived in areas that have a large Native American population, so I just don't know. Is "redskin" a derogatory term for a Native American? In my six decades on the planet, I have never heard anyone refer to a Native American using that term - derogatorily or not. So, honest question, is that a term that racists use in a disparaging manner?

I haven't personally known any Native Americans either, or heard the term used outside of football and the old time radio shows that I am in to. That is perhaps telling. I would feel like a buffoon if I publicly used redskin to reference a Native American or an aspect of their cultures. "Boy that dugout canoe is a great example of redskin technology." Frankly, I care more about the fact that I cringe whenever I hear it than what Native Americans think about the word.

I don't find it offensive, and I think people need to wear their big boy pants and not get offended by everything like it's their job.

Are you of Native American descent? (Serious question.)

"I don't know if it's about the name or what, but at the same time, we play football, too. We work our butt off, too. Don't single us out. At the end of the day, it's the name. Don't worry about the name -- we're players and we work our butts off, too. I'm just frustrated with it.

"We shouldn't have to be punished for that. It's been every game, calls after calls that should've been made in our favor, but it goes to them. It's just not right. We're in the league, too. We're [NFL] players. We got a team, too. We go out there, and we sweat and work hard, too. I don't give a crap about the name. We are players. We've got feelings, too, and we want to win, too."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14198899/jason-hatcher-washington-redskins-says-refs-treat-team-unfairly-nickname

Yeah, right.... :rolleyes:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/federal-appeals-court-ruling-raises-doubts-about-rulings-against-redskins-trademarks/

The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington made the ruling in a case involving an Asian-American dance-rock band that sought to register a trademark for its provocative name, the Slants. The court said the First Amendment “forbids government regulators to deny registration because they find the speech likely to offend others.”
Writing for the majority, Kimberly A. Moore, a judge on the appeals court, said: “It is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment that the government may not penalize private speech merely because it disapproves of the message it conveys.”

The ruling overturned a previous decision by a three-judge panel of the court that had upheld the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s rejection of the band’s application.

In my admittedly sheltered life, I have never witnessed any real-life person call a Native American a redskin in a derisive or bigoted manner. I have, however, witnessed an idiot calling a Native American "chief" in a derisive and bigoted manner. It seems to me that, if anything, the Kansas City NFL team should receive the brunt of these attacks on team names. I'm sure that the Kansas City team wasn't intentionally named the Chiefs as a racial slur, but, nonetheless, "chief" is a term that is actually used in a derogatory manner, more-so than the term "redskin" is, from what I have seen. Are my experiences different from what you guys have seen?

In my admittedly sheltered life, I have never witnessed any real-life person call a Native American a redskin in a derisive or bigoted manner. I have, however, witnessed an idiot calling a Native American "chief" in a derisive and bigoted manner. It seems to me that, if anything, the Kansas City NFL team should receive the brunt of these attacks on team names. I'm sure that the Kansas City team wasn't intentionally named the Chiefs as a racial slur, but, nonetheless, "chief" is a term that is actually used in a derogatory manner, more-so than the term "redskin" is, from what I have seen. Are my experiences different from what you guys have seen?

I've noticed the same. Thing that bugs me the most is I've never met a Native American [and I've met a lot of them] who cares about the Football teams name. It's white people who are offended by everything. White guilt is a powerful thing for some apparently.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I've noticed the same. Thing that bugs me the most is I've never met a Native American [and I've met a lot of them] who cares about the Football teams name. It's white people who are offended by everything. White guilt is a powerful thing for some apparently.

A quick Google search will turn up plenty of Native American groups and people who are opposed to the name (as well as many who are not). I think that's a bit more of a scientific sample than "people I've talked to."

SCOTUS ruled that the “immoral” clause regarding patents is unconstitutional in a related case involving a clothing company.  This makes it unlikely that the Redskins could potentially lose its trademark.