TakebackOPACY

net neutrality

I hope this is okay to post since we're far more likely to read about it in the Tech section or Business section than in any politics section.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/technology/fcc-new-net-neutrality-rules.html?hp&_r=2

The implications are far-reaching and overwhelmingly negative for the individual and for small businesses (and for mid-size businesses and for large businesses and for all but a few mega-large businesses). Please read, read, read about this issue.

• Upvote 1

I don't mean to get political, but it sure seems as time moves on, our government seems hellbent on giving big corporations everything they want. I guess it's not really that political as BOTH parties are equally guilty of "crony capitalism".

Meh. You pay to play. I don't like how this might affect me but whatcha gonna do? Money talks, :bs: walks.

It's so much bigger than that. Read, read, read. The issue is so massive in it's impact I don't know where to start. Affordable online education, like MOOC's? Gone. Innovation in sharing medical information? Wounded. Youtube as you know it? Gone. Innovation by small startup companies? Gone. MLB.tv? Changed.

We can all wonder about what technology and innovation will happen next. But there is one thing of which we can be sure for the foreseeable future. It will be firmly dependent upon Comcast and Verizon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/24/net-neutrality_n_5206510.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000046

This article misses the boat a little bit because it misses the point that only the 'haves' will be able to afford to create new interesting content.

And if you're wondering why the comments section is full of comments about moving oversees or setting up a proxy to simulate being oversees, it's because the European Union recently passed laws to protect net neutrality there.

This will steadily lead to the internet becoming a one-way street for content like TV.

Edited by TakebackOPACY

I don't mean to get political, but it sure seems as time moves on, our government seems hellbent on giving big corporations everything they want. I guess it's not really that political as BOTH parties are equally guilty of "crony capitalism".

Has always been the case. Have you ever read Howard Zinn's book: "A People's History of the United States" Basically said the way the system is set up the top 1% get most of the benefits and the remaining 99% are pitted against each other the the remainder. Very interesting read

Typically, FCC commissioners leave the FCC to go work for Comcast or an industry lobbying group.

http://bgr.com/2014/04/24/why-is-comcast-so-bad-2/

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2014/04/the-comcast-fcc-revolving-door.html

Here's a blog from, Michael Copps, one of the few who didn't take that path.

http://www.commonblog.com/2014/02/20/net-neutrality-is-a-civil-rights-issue/

The issue is the future of the Internet and whether that future will be open and accessible to all of us—or, will the Internet become the playground of a few gate-keeping, powerhouse communications giants? The term “network neutrality” doesn’t begin to do justice to this issue. This is about Internet Freedom. This is about ensuring that the most opportunity-creating communications tool of the twenty-first (or perhaps any) century is open to every American—regardless of who they are, where they live, the color of their skin, the nature of their ethnicity, or the particular economic and social circumstances of their individual lives. The Internet should be and can be the highway to expanded opportunity for 330 million Americans—but it will require positive policy action to make it so.

Think of the civil rights implications. Say that an ISP doesn’t like the message of a certain civil rights or social justice group. Or suppose that the ever-growing Comcast (what’s in their water anyway?), now controlling both distribution and content, thinks a certain anti-Comcast or anti-corporate message isn’t really what its subscribers should be hearing. Or another gatekeeper doesn’t want to encourage groups with different outlooks from organizing to galvanize change and reform at the grassroots. Without Internet Freedom, all these groups, individuals, and initiatives can be blocked, slowed, and, in truth, destroyed. Inconvenient truths about voting rights, criminal justice reform, and overhauling immigration can be silenced. Is this how the Internet should end? As an obstacle to progress rather than the tool of liberation it is capable of being?

Leave it to our government to screw up a good thing. The minute anyone gets a sniff of the money and the potential to make big bucks, it goes to hell.

Leave it to our government to screw up a good thing. The minute anyone gets a sniff of the money and the potential to make big bucks, it goes to hell.

Hey hey hey! Allons enfants de la patrie.......

Bet if we all started registering as independents things would start to normalize. If the two major parties start losing their constituency it might make them pull in the reigns a little bit.

Bet if we all started registering as independents things would start to normalize. If the two major parties start losing their constituency it might make them pull in the reigns a little bit.

Registering won't make a difference. That would just mean the fringe in each party would have more control over the primaries and the candidates would get more extreme. The better idea, since many districts are secure in general elections, is to use the primaries to weed out complacent incumbents.

That's all I gotta say about that.

I hope this is okay to post since we're far more likely to read about it in the Tech section or Business section than in any politics section.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/technology/fcc-new-net-neutrality-rules.html?hp&_r=2

The implications are far-reaching and overwhelmingly negative for the individual and for small businesses (and for mid-size businesses and for large businesses and for all but a few mega-large businesses). Please read, read, read about this issue.

A hugely important (and hellishly complex) issue. Hard to divorce it from politics given the revolving door between the FCC and the companies that stand to benefit most from the establishment of advantageous conditions for communication behemoths - you point this out in one of your later posts. Personally, I'm worried.

Kudos for bringing this to everyone's attention.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wtt2aSV8wdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So when I viewed this on youtube, I got a Comcast commercial first.