TakebackOPACY

net neutrality

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I wish they would leave this thing alone. I'm of the opinion that if the system is not broke, don't fix it. Could someone explain how net neutrality is going to benefit the average Joe?

https://www.savetheinternet.com/net-neutrality-what-you-need-know-now

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

This should help

Ha ha..I don't know how effective they are these days with all the goings on in Washington. Heck, even Comey got hacked. Thinking your best security system might be in your own house.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:00 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

No, that's the NSA, the FBI, and the CIA who are big brother. 

o

o

On 7/13/2017 at 7:41 PM, birdwatcher55 said:

I wish they would leave this thing alone. I'm of the opinion that if the system is not broke, don't fix it. Could someone explain how net neutrality is going to benefit the average Joe?

The entire point of net neutrality is that you have unfettered access to the internet when you pay ISP's for internet access.  That ISP's can't create "high speed super highways" on the internet where you really only have access to companies/websites that "partner" with Verizon/Comcast/TimeWarner-or-whatever-they're-called-now.  By "partner", I mean companies that are forced to pay tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars to not have content from their sites throttled (i.e., slowed down) to absolutely nothing.  Do you use Netflix or YouTube?  Sucks for you ... looks like you better start using services that are owned or "partnered" with your current ISP.  If not, you better get used to spending 2+ hours or longer pre-downloading videos for NF or YT.  And this is talking about large, multi-billion dollar companies.  Do you use a website like Orioles Hangout?  One that is much smaller and who can't afford to pay out 8 or 9 figures to "partner" with each of the ISP's? Sucks for you. Looks like you better switch to a site that can pay out for those kinds of deals MLB.com, NFL.com or ESPN.com.

People also seem to forget that this isn't a "theoretical" threat that's looming.  In 2013, Comcast was throttling content from Netflix and it progressively got worse throughout the year.  Netflix was finally forced to sign a deal w/ Comcast in Jan. 2014.  Comcast denied that they were causing any type of throttling, but magically, after the deal was signed, content speeds for Netflix increased 66% for Comcast users.  Verizon literally did the same exact thing and Netflix had to, once again, pay out and make a deal w/ the ISP.

It was literally these two deals (and a massive outcry from the public) that eventually led the FCC, in 2015, to declare ISP's a telecommunications service and that they fall under Title II.

If you're wondering why the FCC would suddenly change course two years later, I'm sure it has NOTHING to do w/ the fact that new head of the FCC, Ajit Pai, is a former lawyer for Verizon.   :rolleyes: :down:

• Upvote 4