Lester Freamon

2014 World Cup Brazil

Pepe, holy moly. After some of the things he's done, I shouldn't be surprised, but not even making it to halftime of the first match? Mueller did get a little dramatic about the initial contact (he did get a hand to the face, but not that hard), but Pepe's response was crazy, especially since Mueller was still on the ground when he was accosted. Fully deserved red.

Ghana is infuriating with their flopping and complaining. Did the same thing in 2010.

That shot to Dempsey's face was reckless play. You don't lift your leg that high on a header.

Jones was an absolute beast the whole game. I switched it to O's so I don't know who it was given to but he should win man of the match, imho.

They really need to work on their possession, it's amazing to pull off a victory with ~40% possession time.

Hopefully Dempsey comes back to form after that kick to the face. He looked like Complacent Reynolds for over half the match (and no I don't hold that against him at all, he was smacked hard).

I thought the Donovan interview at the half was awkward, but LD always looks like that in interviews. He had good insight and knows the team better than anyone but it just felt awkward to watch since he was left off the roster and Altidore went down so early (where LD should have been there to sub for him).

Minutes 2-80 were boring as all get-out, could not string 2 passes together. Minutes 81-90 were heart-stopping. Huge win.

Today's Biggest Fail Award is a tie between Pepe, for his idiotic red card, and CR7, who did absolutely nothing for 90 minutes, capped at the end by taking a free kick 30 yards from goal against a German wall consisting only of 5'7" Philipp Lahm and nobody else, then somehow kicking the ball into Lahm's knees. Nice one!

Jones was an absolute beast the whole game. I switched it to O's so I don't know who it was given to but he should win man of the match, imho.

They really need to work on their possession, it's amazing to pull off a victory with ~40% possession time.

Hopefully Dempsey comes back to form after that kick to the face. He looked like Complacent Reynolds for over half the match (and no I don't hold that against him at all, he was smacked hard).

I thought the Donovan interview at the half was awkward, but LD always looks like that in interviews. He had good insight and knows the team better than anyone but it just felt awkward to watch since he was left off the roster and Altidore went down so early (where LD should have been there to sub for him).

Yes about Jones, I've never seen him play ever but I was very impressed with him. If we can somehow scrape a draw against Portugal which they'll see as an absolute must win.

Not very familiar with the US side at all, is there another striker option besides Johannson?

That was a very Mourinho type game from Jurgen. Not that we had a choice like...

Yes about Jones, I've never seen him play ever but I was very impressed with him. If we can somehow scrape a draw against Portugal which they'll see as an absolute must win.

Not very familiar with the US side at all, is there another striker option besides Johannson?

That was a very Mourinho type game from Jurgen. Not that we had a choice like...

Out and out forwards are Altidore, Johannson, and Wondolowski. Limited to say the least as Altidore is the only one there who is going to offer anything in terms of holding up the ball and battering around cb's. Altidore may not be great player in the Premier League but I have seen him boss some really good cb's at the international level.

Great win for the USMNT. Portugal is going to be tough but the press give Portugal way too much credit. This is not the Portugal of 5-6 years ago with Figo, Pauletta, etc. Not a great performance from the US, but Ghana was pretty clueless on how to use the ball since they had it just about the entire second half. A ton of room for improvement going forward but if they are without Altidore, it is going to be tough. I heard that after Altidore went off injured, the US had a total of 2 touches inside of Ghana's box the rest of the game, with one of those touches being Brooks' goal.

Agreed completely on the Jones comments. I think he had his best performance (at least that I can remember) playing for the USA. He covered a ton of ground and had to cover for Beasley all night, who had a poor game (and should not really be playing in the first place).

Mexico keeper singlehandedly made that a draw for them. What an incredible performance.

Also, kudos to the referee for not biting on Marcelo's dive, though I thought his foul selection and cards were pretty bad.

Netherlands got really lucky.

Spain about to be eliminated at this rate. What a pathetic performance by one of the favourites in the tournament.