Lester Freamon

2014 World Cup Brazil

Both Germany and the US are safe with a win or a draw. Portugal's goal differential is -4, so they are going to have to demolish Ghana to even be in this conversation. Ghana is the real danger to overtake if the US lose, since they are closest in GD (-1 for Ghana, +1 for US).

I'm frankly struggling to see this dreadful Portugal side beating Ghana. They have scored 2 goals this tournament, and only one of them was any good (Nani's goal off Cameron's horrific defensive miscue could have been scored by a U12, or Wayne Rooney). They will have Pepe back, but if Ghana use the same pace and 70 minutes of gegenpressing that they managed against Germany, Portugal will have a very hard time and there will be much screeching and whining from CR7.

If US and Ghana finish with 4 points, wouldn't we win the tiebreaker since we beat Ghana?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess we wouldn't. Hmm, things look dicey now. Have to hope Portugal shows up Thursday.

Edited by waroriole

If US and Ghana finish with 4 points, wouldn't we win the tiebreaker since we beat Ghana?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess we wouldn't. Hmm, things look dicey now. Have to hope Portugal shows up Thursday.

I'm sorry but that's stupid if that's the case. First tie-breaker should be head to head. Second should be goal differential.

Bradley can be an unused sub for me the rest of the way. Completely useless tonight.

He had a nice first half I thought but he was the one who coughed it up at midfield on that last play. I don't know what he was trying to do. Shouldn't be that hard to milk the clock in soccer.

A straight red is only a one match ban?

Depends on the offense and the severity. I think there are two degrees of "violent conduct" and Pepe's red was written up by the ref as the lesser one. I imagine if he'd hit Mueller harder or drawn blood, it would have been more.

I'm sorry but that's stupid if that's the case. First tie-breaker should be head to head. Second should be goal differential.

This post clarifies FIFA's tiebreak scenarios. I agree that head-to-head might make more sense, and UEFA does it differently, but, well, this is how it is.

Tim Howard is somehow both amazing and completely terrible, sometimes on the same series of plays. He completely botched that shot that hit the woodwork and then immediately made an incredible save on the rebound. On the equalizer, it almost looked like he couldn't get his hands to go where he thought the ball was going. Frustrating. But we lose this game without him.

Michael Bradley has to have the worst "finish" of any attacking midfielder in this tournament.

Overall, great game for the US despite everything I wrote above.

Still in a bit of shock and because of it I can't sleep so I'm writing this. Similar to way I felt on Friday night.

Anyhoo, I am truly a believer in this team now. In Klinsi I trust. They gutted it out against Ghana and they outplayed Portugal. Our best player, Bradley, still hasn't had a good game and he never puts up back to back stinkers like he just did. He has to be back to form against Germany, right? Right? :) But seriously, with the way Costa Rica and Mexico have looked, and the way we've looked, I feel pretty confident that we, at the very least, can keep it close with Germany. As for Ghana/Portugal, I don't know what to think. I can't see Ghana keeping a clean sheet, perhaps a 2-1 result for Ghana? Which, incidentally, would be enough to knock us out if we lost to Germany 1-0. How ironic would it be if we beat Ghana at the WC and the STILL end up knocking us out? Oh brother. But naw, I'm confident that we will win or draw or not lose worse then 2-1, and the pressure on Ghana and Portugal (who'd have to beat Ghana 2-0 while we lose to Germany 4-0) is way worse, imo, than it is on us.

I Believe!

• Upvote 1

Tim Howard is somehow both amazing and completely terrible, sometimes on the same series of plays. He completely botched that shot that hit the woodwork and then immediately made an incredible save on the rebound. On the equalizer, it almost looked like he couldn't get his hands to go where he thought the ball was going. Frustrating. But we lose this game without him.

It was a running header off a cross. Nobody makes that save unless it's right at them or they're unbelievably lucky and move before the ball is struck. I never saw a good replay of the ball off the woodwork - what happened? It looked like he tried to punch it away and just whiffed.

Michael Bradley has to have the worst "finish" of any attacking midfielder in this tournament.

That was poor. Although in his defense the goalie was out and usually all you have to do it put it on frame, the defender got darned lucky. A few inches higher and it was probably a handball and a red.

Overall, great game for the US despite everything I wrote above.

I thought they played much better than the Ghana match, much more possession and ball movement and more chances. For fairly long stretches they looked like the better team. I was pretty impressed with Fabian Johnson.

Geoff Cameron. Ugh. Really, what the heck. I'd be mildly disappointed if a giveaway of a cheap goal like that came from my U7 team. My brother spells his first name "Geoff" and I'm going to warn him to be on the lookout for anti-Geoff violence in the aftermath of the match.

Dang it. I had a nice long response all typed up and my computer decided that firefox no longer wanted the window open.

Much better last night from the US than first time out vs Ghana. They were really 2 horrendous defensive errors (to the highest degree) away from winning last night 2-0. I thought the game was fairly even, but the US definitely had really good stretches where they really bossed the game and took it to Portugal who looked off of it. The first botched clearance was school yard bad defending. How does that happen at this level? And then to come all the way back to let one runner in the box get on the end of a cross after you have turned around the first mistake......is just plum terrible.

The World Cup is funny. If you knew nothing of the players from before and you were watching the US, you would think Jermaine Jones is the class midfielder and Michael Bradley must have been a last second inclusion to the squad. I have always thought that Bradley is played too high up the pitch at times by the US. His strength is his engine more than his creativity and flair. I get it that the squad is limited, and there really is not anyone else besides Bradley to play #10 role, but you have to realize that is not his MO, in my opinion and at a higher level, he can struggle. That is why I think leaving Donovan off the roster was a bad move. And even if it is a bad move, it is impossible to blame Klinnsman as his vision has worked, other than 2 stupid blunders.

My only other thought, I really think that Germany- USA is a draw. Why risk injuries or a bad result when a draw benefits both teams? I think Germany might think the USA is not the stiffest competition, but if the US cuts out the mistakes, I think the teams are pretty similarly constructed, albeit with Germany much more highly skilled, and anything can happen.

Suarez is unbelievable. How does he think he could get away with that with half of the world watching. If FIFA had any guts at all he'd be banned for life. Three times plus the racial stuff with Evra. Most despicable person in sport. IMO

Once a biter, always a biter.

This punk should be banned for life.

The tackle the Italian got sent off for could have ended a career should he be banned for life?

The tackle the Italian got sent off for could have ended a career should he be banned for life?

Tackles are part of the game.

Biting is not.