Greg

Nick Markakis agrees to four-year deal with Atlanta Braves

Well, I mean... he hit for a .690 OPS last year. So technically, he already HAS gotten close to it. He also put up 1.9 WAR, compared to Markakis' 2.5. He's not a world-beater, but he's not garbage. He's also better than 2013 Markakis was.

He put up a .690 but that was mostly in a platoon. It would not be unreasonable to expect a drop if he played every day.

I truly have appreciated Nick's contributions over the years. He has been a very good Oriole when there were very few good Orioles. I wish he had been able to get a ring with us.

I hope he does well in Atlanta and brings them to a World Series. Having said that, I too would not have gone to the length and dollars of contract that has been reported with Atlanta.

I trust very much in DD's judgement and I am sure that Buck was part of this discussion as well. I believe that there will be other moves to come before Opening Day that will make us a stronger team not only in 2015 but in 2016 to 2018. The only part that I disagreed with from the beginning was the lack of offering a QO (and I have to believe that not doing so was a subtle strategy on DD's part to make Nick leaving for a larger deal than he would have otherwise gotten easier to accomplish.) And I wait with anticipation to see the beard Nick will sport in Atlanta!!! Go Os!!

Matusz dropped 1 MPH, not 2

Chris Tilman

Seems like everyone varies from year to year. I guess everyone is always injured.

He put up a .690 but that was mostly in a platoon. It would not be unreasonable to expect a drop if he played every day.

It wouldn't. But he seemed to get better as the season went on and he got more at-bats under his belt. Put it to you this way: I'd be interested in seeing what he could do during a full year as a starter. I just don't want the Orioles to be the team to do it at this point. If they were rebuilding, I'd be intrigued enough to run him out there.

Especially since when he played less last season he hit better. He has a .620 OPS against left handers.

I'm a huge Nick fan, but replacing him won't be that difficult IMHO. Good move for both sides. He comes home and we get to move on without it getting ugly.

This. I'm happy he's moving on as well as I think he's in decline in both power and speed. I appreciate what Markakis did for the team and he will go down as a good Oriole, but at the end of the day, I'm happy we have a GM like Duquette who is not afraid to let players move on if their price outweighs their value.

I just read through a couple of Brave fan forums on their reaction. Very few were standing up and cheering the acquisition. Many had this reaction:

I don’t hate it, I don’t think the deal is that bad. I just don’t think it makes any sense for what the goal of the team should be. If you are going to build for 2017, then you should commit to it and focus all of your efforts to achieving that singular goal. If you are going to win now, then ditto, but trying to do both at the same time is probably going to result in many years of "meh"

Talking Chop, Atlanta Braves fan community board

I think it will be a good deal for Nick. Not so much for the Braves. And, for us, we shall see, but I believe DD is going to keep us stronger in the short and long run.

Reaction from Nick Markakis's former teammates and local media members to his new deal with the Braves:

Adam Jones (via Twitter): "U don't want my opinion!!!!!!!!"

Zach Britton (via Twitter): "Say it ain't so...."

JJ Hardy (via MASN): "We're all going to miss him. Everyone is going to miss him. He's kind of been the face of the Baltimore Orioles for the last 9 years."

Brittany Ghiroli (via Twitter): "Adam Jones' tweet exemplifies how unpopular of a move this is for fellow Orioles. Markakis was a cornerstone of the Balt org & community"

There you go.

MSK

This is just a stupid move.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>And here's Markakis ZiPS in ATL. Poor ZiPS can't even imagine someone wanting to give Markakis 140 games in '16. <a href="http://t.co/KLlatpaKxh">pic.twitter.com/KLlatpaKxh</a></p>— Dan Szymborski (@DSzymborski) <a href="

">December 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think Nick will have a good first two years in the NL. Getting out of the AL East might do wonders. It would have been nice to have offered the Q.O., and get a pick out of this. I'd expect DD to do something in the trade market until late in the offseason and then see who is left over.

I'll really miss Markakis the man. He just seemed like a dude you could really rally around and happily tell people that "he's my guy". And I'll miss Markakis v2008, Markakis v2010, and Markakis v2012.

However, Markakis the difference maker has been gone for awhile now. His skills are rapidly eroding. I don't like admitting it either. I want to believe... But the truth is a bitter pill.

I don't see how Atlanta will not regret this deal.

I'm thinking along the lines of dark helmet that DD misjudged the market for Nick and maybe the depth of Nick's loyalty to the Orioles. I also wonder if a crack in the clubhouse chemistry played a part in Nick's decision. Nick was pretty outspoken about player use of PED's and there was the Davis suspension.

I think DD knew what Marakkis' value was to the Orioles and was not willing to go over it because another team felt he was worth more.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>And here's Markakis ZiPS in ATL. Poor ZiPS can't even imagine someone wanting to give Markakis 140 games in '16. <a href="http://t.co/KLlatpaKxh">pic.twitter.com/KLlatpaKxh</a></p>? Dan Szymborski (@DSzymborski) <a href="
">December 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is not pretty.