Frobby

Connaughton article

The Orioles saw Connaughton's fastball top out at 96 during a brief stop at short-season Single-A Aberdeen after the draft. He went 0-1 with a 2.45 ERA over 14 2/3 innings. He allowed 13 hits with three walks and 10 strikeouts playing for manager Matt Merullo.

Merullo saw a pitcher that was very athletic with not only a good fastball, but strong makeup that scouts also liked.

"He had exceptional late life on the fastball with some good natural movement and is athletic," Merullo said. "He has a great makeup about him that stands out the most. He is energetic with a contagious personality. A special guy to be around. His fastball, just as a baseball tool, would make him stand out."

"He showed kind of a funky pitch. It was not quite a split-finger, but it was an unconventional grip on the changeup that showed the ability to be a putaway pitch," Merullo said. "The only thing with his slider is it could get flat at times. But he's got a real good aptitude as well. He has a feel for pitching and pitchability.

"He is a guy when you talk to him between innings and look him in the eye, you feel comfortable he is out there. I'm excited for his chances and he really wanted to make the most of his time last summer."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2014/12/prospect-profile-connaughton-leaving-the-hardwood-behind-for-the-mound.html

That Buck is such an enthusiastic fan of multi-sport athletes adds a little extra excitement to him for me.

He's working super-heavy minutes and ND has had a great start to the year. Led them in rebounding in an overtime win against Michigan State, a team that focuses on dominating the glass, and in a blowout win in their ACC opener. Both games he played all but one or two minutes - team appears to lack depth.

They've cracked the Top 25 at 10-1, and will surely be at least an NIT team even if they taper off.

This kid sounds like an exciting prospect. Sounds like another Jeff S from the same school. Wonder why he lasted that long in the draft.? At 96, he brings size and heat. Curious what some of our draft gurus have to say.. :cool:

I have been following Connaughton for a while as a die hard ND fan. He is a really athletic basketball player who plays with the good kind of bad attitude, if that makes sense. I'm excited to follow him in the O's organization.

This kid sounds like an exciting prospect. Sounds like another Jeff S from the same school. Wonder why he lasted that long in the draft.? At 96, he brings size and heat. Curious what some of our draft gurus have to say.. :cool:

By no means am I a guru, but I recall concerns he might be a tough sign in part because of basketball, or maybe scouts weren't sure he picked his sport yet. Something like that.

I'm hardly a draft guru, but I'd guess he lasted so long due to his poor command and his peripherals in college were nothing special.

I'm hardly a draft guru, but I'd guess he lasted so long due to his poor command and his peripherals in college were nothing special.

That along with his questionable appetite for being a baseball player. Basically, I think most think he wants to be a basketball player but his skills suggest his higher ceiling is in baseball. Hopefully he'll focus on baseball as soon as his college basketball career is over. He's got a nice upside.

Does he project to anything at all in the NBA?

baltimoreoriolesvnewyorkyankeestgqck2skemsl.jpg

hendrickson2.jpg

dave_debusschere_autograph.jpg

105180.jpg

gene_conley_autograph.jpg

PTDC0092_20120314634.gif

It has happened before. I'd rather see him take the Dave Winfield route, however, and choose baseball only.

It has happened before. I'd rather see him take the Dave Winfield route, however, and choose baseball only.

Didn't really answer my question as to whether he's got a legitimate chance at a career in the NBA. I'd like to know what the likelihood is he continues playing baseball.

Didn't really answer my question as to whether he's got a legitimate chance at a career in the NBA. I'd like to know what the likelihood is he continues playing baseball.

I don't think he's a serious NBA prospect. Here's a list of the top 100 NBA prospects; no sign of him on there. http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects/

That's not to say that he couldn't make a living playing basketball overseas.

I don't think he's a serious NBA prospect. Here's a list of the top 100 NBA prospects; no sign of him on there. http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects/

That's not to say that he couldn't make a living playing basketball overseas.

How many guys stay four years and still make the NBA?

I am thinking that is a small list.