Frobby

Connaughton article

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

He was talking about the minor league phase of the rule 5 draft, not the major league portion.  I'm sure they protect him at that level (which doesn't require addition to the 40 man).  The rules are different for the minor league phase.

That is what I was talking about. Teams are limited as to how many players they can place on the Triple A reserve roster (which protects them from the Triple A phase of the Rule V draft) and how many players they can place on the Double A roster (which protects them from the Double A phase of the Rule V draft). I believe it should not be totally unexpected for the Orioles to not place him on the Triple A reserve roster and therefore risk losing him in the Triple A phase of the Rule V draft. We will see. I for one will not be completely shocked if the Orioles end up losing Connaughton in the minor league phase of the rule V draft at some point.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jcarm said:

That is what I was talking about. Teams are limited as to how many players they can place on the Triple A reserve roster (which protects them from the Triple A phase of the Rule V draft) and how many players they can place on the Double A roster (which protects them from the Double A phase of the Rule V draft). I believe it should not be totally unexpected for the Orioles to not place him on the Triple A reserve roster and therefore risk losing him in the Triple A phase of the Rule V draft. We will see. I for one will not be completely shocked if the Orioles end up losing Connaughton in the minor league phase of the rule V draft at some point.

I got what you were saying completely, I think some people didn't read your post closely.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

He was talking about the minor league phase of the rule 5 draft, not the major league portion.  I'm sure they protect him at that level (which doesn't require addition to the 40 man).  The rules are different for the minor league phase.

Ok then. Sure. Thanks. His presence on the restricted list doesn't pertain?

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Ok then. Sure. Thanks. His presence on the restricted list doesn't pertain?

This is from a primer on the rule 5 draft...

Notes
Clubs cannot protect players by placing them on the disabled list or restricted list. Those lists are relevant during The Championship Season only. All players on the disabled list or restricted list must be placed back on the Reserve List/40-man Roster by the deadline, generally in late November (generally November 20), leading up to the early-December Rule 5 Draft, which takes place during the annual Winter Meetings.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't understand who is eligible for the MiL portion and what a team has to do to protect them.  

In the Triple-A phase of the Rule 5 draft, teams may select any eligible player left off the major league 40-man roster or the Triple-A reserve roster of 38 players. In the Double-A phase of the draft, teams may select any eligible player left off the major league roster, the Triple-A reserve roster or the Double-A reserve roster of 37 players. In other words, a player selected in the Triple-A phase does not rank among his organization’s top 78 talents, and a Double-A selection does not rank among its top 115. In these cases, players are not required to remain on a particular roster. The player’s contract is irrevocably assigned to the drafting team and the drafting fee ($12,000 for Triple-A, $4,000 for Double-A) is paid.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/ask-ba-2/#mJVSqrYtgmRcojQS.99

This is from J.J. Cooper on an Ask Baseball America article.

Emphasis is mine.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

This is from J.J. Cooper on an Ask Baseball America article.

Emphasis is mine.

Thanks for that.   The distinction between the AAA portion and the AA portion seems a bit bizarre, since you don't need to keep the chosen player at any particular level.    In any event, it seems to me I'd probably put Connaughton on the AAA reserve roster.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Thanks for that.   The distinction between the AAA portion and the AA portion seems a bit bizarre, since you don't need to keep the chosen player at any particular level.    In any event, it seems to me I'd probably put Connaughton on the AAA reserve roster.

It just costs a little more for the AAA phase, and a 37 less players are protected.  I'd also put Connaughton on the AAA reserve roster.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes. That would make sense. 

If the Orioles (or any team) have anyone in Frederick or lower that they want to protect, they can just assign them one of the "protected" slots in either AAA or AA to stash them and then assign them to their specific level after Spring Training, or would they have to stay at the assigned level?

27 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If the Orioles (or any team) have anyone in Frederick or lower that they want to protect, they can just assign them one of the "protected" slots in either AAA or AA to stash them and then assign them to their specific level after Spring Training, or would they have to stay at the assigned level?

They do not have to stay at AA or AAA.  The only consequence of protecting a guy at the AA or AAA is the limited spots.

In Portland’s opener, Connaughton played 32 minutes and scored 24 points.      It certainly looks like he’s going to get a lot more playing time this year, and if he continues playing well, we can probably forget about ever seeing him in an Orioles uniform.    

Has earned 4 Games Started recently and up to 20 minutes/game for a 13-9 team, which gives Portland the league's 8th best record at the quarter pole.  Good for him.

Saw him against the Wiz last night - he looked awful.  Whoever he was guarding, the Wiz went to him.  But he does have a good 3 point shot, and he hustles, so I expect he'll be playing in the NBA for a few more years, and his baseball career is over.