Nuclear Dish

Recruiting Updates

I'm going to start putting recruiting updates for non-Maryland schools in one thread in the NCAA forum where it belongs.

I'm also going to start using a standard format. Here is how it'll look:

Player Name, Height (Rivals Rank at Position Position) Rivals Overall Rank/Telep Overall Rank

Update Info

For example:

Uche Echefu, 6'9" (#2 C) #45/#37

Solid verbal commitment to Florida State over North Carolina on Monday

Jon Scheyer, 6'4" (#11 SF) #57/#24

Will announce today. Strong lean toward Dook over Illinois.

Gerald Henderson, 6'4" (#3 SG) #18/#19

Will announce tomorrow. Slight lean toward Dook over Villanova.

Brandan Wright, 6'9" (#1 PF) #2/#3

Kentucky leads, Dook and North Carolina are other two stong possibilities.

Greg Oden, 6'11" (#1 C) #1/#1

Being wooed toward Ohio State by 2006 commit Daquan Cook (#1 SG). Also strongly considering Michigan State, Indiana, and Wake Forest. With no age limit, will go pro.

Mike Conley 6'1" (#6 PG) #35/#26

Could announce for Ohio State very soon. Ohio State could have the #1 recruiting class with Oden (#1 C), Conley (#6 PG), Cook (#1 SG), and Lighty (#2 SG).

Javaris Crittenton, 6'4" (#8 PG) #45/#29

If there is no age limit, could be interested in testing NBA waters over playing at Florida, Georgia Tech, or Florida State. Size for a PG increases his draft potential, but raw skills leave him as a question mark.

Can not imagine Oden goes to school.

Even with the age limit? You think he'd rather play in the NBDL for $27K/year?

He seems to be enjoying the recruitment process.

Even with the age limit? You think he'd rather play in the NBDL for $27K/year?

He seems to be enjoying the recruitment process.

Well if the age limit goes into effect, thats one thing. But lets see that happen first.

Michael Porter, 6'2" (NR PG) NR/NR

Has committed to Kentucky. I have no idea why he was offered. He's not ranked by either Rivals or Telep. He's from California, and goes to the same school as Adrian Oliver (see next note).

Adrian Oliver, 6'4" (NR SG) NR/#97

Is down to Kentucky and Washington. He is thought to be leaning toward Kentucky now that his HS teammate, Michael Porter (see above) has committed to Kentucky. Oliver is unranked in Rivals' Top 150, but is ranked by Telep as a PG (#17 at that position).

I can't figure out what Kentucky sees in these guys that no one else sees.

Has committed to Kentucky. I have no idea why he was offered. He's not ranked by either Rivals or Telep. He's from California, and goes to the same school as Adrian Oliver (see next note).

Adrian Oliver, 6'4" (NR SG) NR/#97

Is down to Kentucky and Washington. He is thought to be leaning toward Kentucky now that his HS teammate, Michael Porter (see above) has committed to Kentucky. Oliver is unranked in Rivals' Top 150, but is ranked by Telep as a PG (#17 at that position).

I can't figure out what Kentucky sees in these guys that no one else sees.

Unselfish, defensive minded role players???

Unselfish, defensive minded role players???

Are you saying that with any knowledge of the players in question, or is it a guess?

If it's a guess, it's as good as any I can think of, but the thing that bothers me is that it's Kentucky. If it were a lesser high-profile program, I could understand it. But kentucky doesn't need to stock up on players like that - they can just reload with more big guns, the way Dook and UNC do.

I mean look at Carolina. They signed William Graves, who will likely be just such a role player. But he's ranked #85, which is a whole lot better than being unranked (remember, there are 150 players who get ranked by Rivals).

My latest guess is that Kentucky really wants Oliver to be just such a role player (and he is ranked #97 by Telep, which means he's not a complete unknown). And maybe they were told that the best chance they had to get Oliver was to sign Porter too.

Package deals are very common in college basketball. So maybe this is one of them. It's just a little strange to work a package deal to get a less-than-stellar prospect. Usually it's the price you pay to get a real stud, not a role player.

Are you saying that with any knowledge of the players in question, or is it a guess?

Oh, it is a complete guess based on the way it seems as if they like to play over the last few years...Keep the game in the 50's or 60's, play great defense and sprinkle in some decent players and that will carry you.

Aaron Holmes, 6'4" (#13 SG) #65/#74

Committed to Florida State today. He's the first commitment to their program for the 2006 class.

Gerald Henderson (see above)

Jon Scheyer (see above)

Both committed officially to Dook, as expected. Dook's next major target is Brian Zoubek, a 7'0" C from New Jersey, who is thought to be heavily leaning toward them. They have seemingly dropped out of the running for Spencer Hawes, who is the #2 ranked C in the class (after Oden).

Mike Conley, 6'1" (#6 PG) #35/#26

Is down to Ohio State and Wake Forest. Unclear when an announcement will come, but it should be in the next 2-3 weeks at the latest.

Lance Thomas, 6'8" (#7 SF) #21/#15

Slight lean toward Arizona over WF, Dook, UNC, and others. Taking an unofficial visit to Arizona. Not expected to cut his list to final 5 for official visits until later this summer, and not expected to announce until fall.

Jamie Skeen, 6'8" (#24 SF) #93/#41

Committed to WF. Could get recruited over if WF pursues Thomas (see above).

DaJuan Summers, 6'8" (#19 SF) #75/#62

Top prospect in the state of Maryland, this McDonogh senior has cut his list to 3 schools: Georgetown leads slightly over Maryland and WF. On eo f only 2 prospects in-state who are on anyone's Top 100.

Greivis Vasquez, 6'5" (NR SG) NR/#97

The other player in Maryland to appear on a Top 100 list. Plays at Montrose Christian and has narrowed his list to BC, Gonzaga, Maryland, and NC St.

Lewis Witcher, 6'8" (NR PF) NR/NR

Has been offered by VT, and has said he wants to play in the ACC (Richmond is the only other school to offer). Other ACC schools to show interest, without an offer yet, are Maryland and WF.

I have one question...how the hell is Ohio St getting so much love? What have they done the past 10-15 years? They are obviously a football school as well. And on top of that, the program was just told they had like 11 violations. So they might be precluded from more postseason play.

I have one question...how the hell is Ohio St getting so much love? What have they done the past 10-15 years? They are obviously a football school as well. And on top of that, the program was just told they had like 11 violations. So they might be precluded from more postseason play.

Two words: Thad Matta

The guy was a powerhouse recruiter at Xavier, and he's bringing the same power to OSU. However, you're right that you might see a lot of these guys choosing to go elsewhere or reneging once the punishment comes down on the violations.

On the other hand, some of these guys don't intend to play more than a year or two anyway, so maybe they'd prefer to play for Matta for a year, even without postseason, before the jump to The League.

BTW, Dish, there are 4 players from MD on the top 100 rivals list, including 2 in the top 20, they just happened to transfer to Oak Hill Academy. But they're from MD. Durant and your boy Lawson are who I speak of.

And I wouldn't expect Summers to come to MD considering Clark and Milbourne are both committed and also play SF. I believe both are ranked a little higher as well.

Kentucky (see above). I read that this guy is a 2-sport athlete, although I'm not sure i his other sport is football or baseball. That might explain why there's no basketball buzz on him. But even if that's the case, why would they list hiim as a basketball recruit, where there are fewer scholarships to be given than football or baseball?

Josh Lomers, 7'0" (#4 C) #30/#100

Committed to Baylor. Why would anyone go to Baylor after all the issues they've had? It's his hometown school. He's tall, but his skills are questionable. He chose Baylor over Colorado, Georgia Tech, and Texas A&M.

DeMond Carter, 5'10" (#9 PG) #46/#63

It's turning into a good recruiting class for Bayor, as Carter also committed a little while back, choosing Baylor over LSU, GT, and Kansas. Baylor still has a good shot at Jermaine Beal (#108 Rivals) at SG and is probably going to get 6'7" 2-star prospect Bryan Davidson at PF.

Tory Jackson, 5'10" (#10 PG) #48/#60

He's down to 3 schools, with one trailing the others by a good margin. It looks like it'll be either kansas or Michigan, with Florida as the darkhorse.

CJ Henry, 6'3" (NR SG) NR/NR

Henry is expected to get taken ihigh in the MLB draft, and could go play baseball instead of going to college. But he has committed to Kansas to play 2 sports, in case he doesn't come to terms.

Lance Storrs, 6'5" (NR SF) NR/NR

Storrs isn't ranked by anyone, but he's rapidly moving up the lists, as he put in a good performance in an AAU tournament and got noticed. He's been a Kansas fan for a while, and he's taking an unofficial visit to the school this spring.

Chase Budinger, 6'7" (#8 SF) #33/#44

Based on looks alone, Budinger will either go to Dook or UCLA (he's pale white, he's gangly, and he's a redhead). He's starting to get serious about making a decision, and he's got about 7 schools still on his list, including the two aforeementioned. Also seriously beig considered are Kansas, Arizona, Kentucky, Stanford, and Utah.

Dwight Lewis, 6'5" (#21 SF) #84/#56

Committed to Kansas, which affects the decision of Sonny Weems (NR), who has removed KU from his list.

Daniel Deane, 6'8" (#22 PF) #117/#99

Deane is close to deciding, but he's got a long list to narrow down. Kansas may lead against Utah, Gonzaga, Stanford and UCLA.

Darrell Arthur, 6'9" (#2 PF) #4/#4

He's down to 5 schools, and Kansas is a definite leader right now over Carolina, Oklahoma, SMU, and Texas. He really likes Kansas coach Bill Self, but the thnking is that he's a lock for the NBA if there's no age limit

Aaron Holmes, 6'4" (#13 SG) #65/#74

Committed to Florida State (see above). Just to add that he had previously committed to NC St. when he was a rising junior, before reneging a year later and choosing FSU.