Sign in to follow this  
weams

Concussions and NFL altering Film

I have never understood this reasoning. They made the choice of career. Anyone that has played serious sports knows the risk. To come back years later and complain is so hypocritical.

6 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I have never understood this reasoning. They made the choice of career. Anyone that has played serious sports knows the risk. To come back years later and complain is so hypocritical.

You think guys that played 15-20 years ago knew about CTE?

On 1/30/2019 at 6:54 PM, Can_of_corn said:

You think guys that played 15-20 years ago knew about CTE?

Not sure if it was called that then or if it had been diagnosed as such. I would have to do some research. My point is, would it matter? Some people, myself included, wanted to be in the arena where the action is. We knew there were risks and we accepted them. I personally would never try to go back and rewrite history or try to find someone at fault. I enjoyed every minute of the competition. My back and knees hurt but it was my choice. I stand by that choice.

2 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Not sure if it was called that then or if it had been diagnosed as such. I would have to do some research. My point is, would it matter? Some people, myself included, wanted to be in the arena where the action is. We knew there were risks and we accepted them. I personally would never try to go back and rewrite history or try to find someone at fault. I enjoyed every minute of the competition. My back and knees hurt but it was my choice. I stand by that choice.

I think folks understood that it was dangerous but were not fully informed as to the amount of danger present.  Now is it possible that many of them would have made the same decision if that information was available?  Of course it is but if the powers that be intentionally hid the degree of risk they should be penalized for that behavior.

Folks knew smoking was bad for them right?  I mean you have to be pretty dim to not figure out that doing something that makes you cough up blackish crap out of your lungs might not be good for you.  But the degree of risk was hidden.

On 1/31/2019 at 7:27 PM, Satyr3206 said:

On 1/31/2019 at 7:33 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I think folks understood that it was dangerous but were not fully informed as to the amount of danger present.  Now is it possible that many of them would have made the same decision if that information was available?  Of course it is but if the powers that be intentionally hid the degree of risk they should be penalized for that behavior.

Folks knew smoking was bad for them right?  I mean you have to be pretty dim to not figure out that doing something that makes you cough up blackish crap out of your lungs might not be good for you.  But the degree of risk was hidden.

The fact that, in light of the risks now known, fewer kids are playing football today, suggests that fewer would have played it years ago if the risks had been known to the public then.   I’m sure some people would have continued to play, just as they do today.