Sign in to follow this  
MemorialStadKid

ANDRE THE GIANT: CLOSER TO HEAVEN released to acclaim

So one of the most recent releases in my career is the Andre the Giant graphic novel biography titled "Closer to Heaven." It is the first non-fiction graphic novel I've ever written and since I know there are pro wrestling fans on the OH, I figured I would share some good news with you all.

The graphic novel was released as the #1 new release on Amazon under wrestling biographies and it's almost a sell out on the distributor level.

If anyone is interested, here is a small compendium of the reviews the book has received:

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/idw-publishing/andre-the-giant-closer-to-heaven/1

From Comic Wow website (10 out of 10 review):

"Easton gives us an "inside baseball" look at the world of professional wrestling through the eyes of one of its most iconic heroes. He shows us what goes on behind the scenes, the business, the promotions the real concerns, the fears, the ambitions, and the demons of these "superstars."

He then turns his eye to Andre's heart. Easton shows us that although Andre was gifted with great size and ability, he really wanted to be normal. He shows us that Andre understood both his virtues and his vices and that he managed in the end to come to peace with it all. Although the story ends with Andre's death, it is not a sad story. Andre's life did not end in self-pity and neither Andre nor Easton would want readers to pity the giant."

From AIPT website (10 out of 10 review):

"It?s hard to overemphasize how much I enjoyed reading Closer to Heaven. Andre the Giant is a fascinating character, mythologized by both wrestling fans and non-fans alike, but this book digs much deeper than the character to get at the soul of a man in a beautifully written, poignant way that will have you reflecting on your own mortality and pursuit of happiness. Backed up by stunning artwork, this is a can?t miss."

From Black Nerd Problem's website (9.5 out of 10 review):

"From a reader?s perspective Brandon Easton?s Andre occupies an almost mystical space between flawed human and wise narrator, yet the balance never fully tips one way or the other. Admittedly the poignant quote that begins the book made me nervous for how heavy-handed this tale could become but Easton maintains a firm grip throughout on simplistic and believable language. Rhythmically I was surprised to find how sharply thematic lines like, ?I ceased being a human. I became an immoveable object? fit so neatly next to wild descriptions of wrestling maneuvers. Cliche as it may sound, there?s an art to the words that occasionally feels downright poetic. Similarly, Easton?s pacing between dialogue and narration is near seamless; every page seems planned down to the very meter of its syllables and sentence lengths, all while continuing to honor the actual life portrayed."

There are many other reviews but I just wanted to share this with interested parties. I hope some of you check it out if so inclined.

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving holiday.

MSK

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats

• Can you give us a reference about where the evidence is for how "very few left handed pitchers threw 91 back in the late 70s"?     Maybe my statistical search is not looking in the same place.     Yeah, the junk baller who won our last World Series game probably ever.    Just watch the video and honestly tell me you think this guy couldn't pitch today.     
    • So few left handed pitchers threw 91 back in the late 70's that I just find it unlikely from a statistical standpoint.  I'm not old enough to remember late 70's McGregor.  The guy I remember in the 80's was more of a junkballer.
    • At the same time, you cited 103 mph as the reason older generation hitters would not do well today.  Exaggeration goes both ways in making a point about which I too was trying to communicate...i.e.  I do believe that many 1980s era players could certainly play well and thrive in today's game.     And that some of the pitching skill sets today might even be more valuable in today's game than they were back then.   Even if the velocity is not the same.         I certainly accept that the game is played differently today, different after the steroid era, and that the athletes playing it perform those aspects of the game differently than their predecessors.   Still haven't found the speed gun ratings on Scott in high school, but I suspect they were pretty good....I might just ask him...   Scott McGregor, El Segundo (Calif.), 1972 Although a teammate of Hall of Famer George Brett (as a sophomore and junior), it was McGregor who garnered more headlines during his three-year career under El Segundo legendary coach John Stevenson. McGregor was a three-time All-CIF selection and was twice named Player of the Year. He was also a Rawlings All-American as a senior. He set section records (which still stand) for career wins (51), career shutouts (20), shutouts in a season (9), and consecutive no-hitters (2). He also set the section record for career strikeouts (which has since been broken) with 496. He was the No. 14 overall pick in 1972 draft by the Yankees, but he was eventually traded to Baltimore. 
    • He's the top, He's the Colosseum! He's the top, A cornerstone of the Te-am! -- Pole Courter, from the musical "Anything Counts"  
    • You asked about velocity right? I love how you keep mentioning inner circle HoF players.  No word on how Frank Torre would do.  By concentrating on the top .1% you are missing out on an important issue I tried to relay to you.  Your average hitter is a lot more dangerous.   
    • And I think that’s fair. I’m just saying that I think it’s quite possible he would get that bump in today’s game given the emphasis on K’s from a pitching standpoint and hitter’s aggression and willingness to strike out.  It’s definitely a different game though. 
    • Yeah, I am sure Frank Robinson and Hank Aaron would have been just terrified by Kevin Gausman and Tommy Hunter.....lol.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now