Going Underground

Manny Misses Fan Fest (Buck Not Happy).

I'm the same way.

It's called a job for a reason.

I do know folks that would use something like that as an excuse if they could get away with it.

His main job is to play baseball. This is only an ancillary part of his job.

Maybe I don't care because I've never had any interest in Fan Fest.

I vote we drop this subject. Either you feel like he's kind of a jerk or you don't, or you don't care either way. Buck isn't happy, some people here aren't happy, some don't care, like me.

I dunno what else we are going to squeeze out of it. Not knocking the thread, just saying. What can be done or said?

Pretty much. I don't take much issue with him missing or his reason given. I'll cut a guy slack who comes to the park every day and plays every game, while also giving back to the community.

He's been to other fanfests in the past and I'm sure he'll be at them in the future.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I think promoting the team is an important part of the job.

Britton did a twitter chat yesterday when he couldn't make it.

He didn't have to do that.

Pretty much. I don't take much issue with him missing or his reason given. I'll cut a guy slack who comes to the park every day and plays every game, while also giving back to the community.

He's been to other fanfests in the past and I'm sure he'll be at them in the future.

He played 162 games. I'd rather him miss Fan Fest than one of the games.

What a whiner! Let's be positive. :)

He played 162 games. I'd rather him miss Fan Fest than one of the games.

Is that our choice? Would he miss a game if he went to Fan Fest?

Do you think Manny doesn't promote the team as much as he can? Even if it's a crap excuse, shouldn't people be given the benefit of the doubt until they start to make it a habit?

I disagree. The FO's job is to promote the team. The players play.

If Britton did that, great. I just don't see it as mandatory. Also, he's got a legit reason for missing. Maybe you don't agree with it, but I don't see any reason to be upset.

Same. Although I think Manny's excuse is weak, I also think it's weird to get autographs from/ attempt to "spend time with" pampered athletes who, in all likelihood, have absolutely no interest in dealing with you.

And for those who think they pay Manny's salary...OK, show him some consequences. Dock his earnings. I'd honestly love to see it. But let's be real: you're going to pay just as much attention to the O's, consequences or no, and Manny's world will spin on, happily oblivious to your irritation.

Do you think Manny doesn't promote the team as much as he can? Even if it's a crap excuse, shouldn't people be given the benefit of the doubt until they start to make it a habit?

No one is asking him to be crucified. Just saying he should have gone.

I don't care about Fanfest either. I care about the character of a young player that has become the face of the franchise. No poster at this point is going to convince me that he just didn't find a convenient excuse to avoid something he really didn't want to do.

As I have said, I think it was an immature act on his part. He is young, I still will pull for the guy and assume he will be fine as he figures things out.

What a whiner! Let's be positive. :)

Ok. I'm sure you're just going to say "I'm a realist." But, are you going to tell me you haven't started multiple threads today being a downer?

If it hadn't been mentioned in the press, would you have even known he wasn't there?

• Upvote 1

You have nothing to do with it. It's not your choice. It's his choice.

My point is that I care much less about Fan Fest than the games he plays.