Sign in to follow this  
Bmorebirds24

Hardy's health and replacement?

Last year Hardy didn't seem to be himself because of obvious injuries. As we get closer to the start of spring training and the season I was wondering what the options would be if he doesn't bounce back.

I am not sold on Hardy coming out and giving the team 130-140 games at SS this year. Hopefully he does I'm curious to see what we have to send out there if he doesn't.

I don't like Flaherty in the line up more then 2-3 day tops. We could shift Machado to SS but that opens a hole at 3rd.

What do you guys think would be the way to go if Hardy is still nagged with injuries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In baseball, it is about the Wins and who attributes to them. In 2015 J J Hardy had 112 starts for the Orioles. The Orioles record in those starts was 64 Wins - 48 Losses or 16 games over .500. He did very little at the plate BUT the Team Wins with him on the field speaks for itself.

The good news is Flaherty is a really, really good third baseman. I'm extremely comfortable with him playing 3B defensively, but as you mentioned, his bat is the issue. And while he has nice ISO, he's still Ryan Flaherty.

Jomar Reyes could be an interesting option, though I'm not sure what his defense is like. Tolleson (94 innings at 3B for the O's in 2012, 144 for the Jays in 2014) is an option if you want a little more bat than Flaherty, though he's probably better at 2B or OF at this point.

The thing is, Hardy does not have a great bat anymore either, so you're really not losing much with a guy like Flaherty or Tolleson.

Jomar Reyes hasn't even played in high A yet, and nobody thinks he'll still be at 3B as a major leaguer.

I think if Hardy went on the DL there's a good chance we'd call up Janish. Not much of a hitter, but he's virtually as good as Hardy defensively and that's what Buck cares most about.

In baseball, it is about the Wins and who attributes to them. In 2015 J J Hardy had 112 starts for the Orioles. The Orioles record in those starts was 64 Wins - 48 Losses or 16 games over .500. He did very little at the plate BUT the Team Wins with him on the field speaks for itself.

I have made the point about the team's record with Hardy on the field several times, but I don't think that record "speaks for itself." What's clear is that the team happened to play better when he was on the field than when he wasn't. It's less clear that there was cause and effect.

Wow I think you're on to something. If you combine your Hardy stat with the fact that the O's were 12 games over .500 in games that Adam Jones did not play...

All we need to do is bench Jones and play Hardy every day, especially if he is OPS'ing <.550 and we are a can't miss to make the World Series

Jomar Reyes hasn't even played in high A yet, and nobody thinks he'll still be at 3B as a major leaguer.

I think if Hardy went on the DL there's a good chance we'd call up Janish. Not much of a hitter, but he's virtually as good as Hardy defensively and that's what Buck cares most about.

I believe Janish was actually better defensively last year, than Hardy was, since Hardy wasn't 100%.

I suspect Flaherty would start, and Janish move to the bench as the utility INF.

I have made the point about the team's record with Hardy on the field several times, but I don't think that record "speaks for itself." What's clear is that the team happened to play better when he was on the field than when he wasn't. It's less clear that there was cause and effect.

I think this is the most accurate way to articulate the situation. It's a large of enough sample size to say there's at least a strong correlation. It's interesting to consider just what factor is key. His defense is clearly solid, but that alone wouldn't explain it. Perhaps the pitching staff (and catcher(s)) feel a lot more confident pitching with Hardy behind them leading the defense.

Pretty obvious that Chad is the next man up at SS and IMHO he's the next SS anyway (if we keep him out of FA). So, long term at 3B? I dunno. But those're probably easier to find than shortstops (with or without porkchops).

hqdefault.jpg

Wow I think you're on to something. If you combine your Hardy stat with the fact that the O's were 12 games over .500 in games that Adam Jones did not play

Shows the worth of Hardy VS Jones does it not.

Wow I think you're on to something. If you combine your Hardy stat with the fact that the O's were 12 games over .500 in games that Adam Jones did not play...

All we need to do is bench Jones and play Hardy every day, especially if he is OPS'ing <.550 and we are a can't miss to make the World Series

Can we bat him second?