BarclaySouthway

Caleb Joseph gets even more likable

That's pretty neat that he will donate it to a church. Somebody will be happy to get that even tho many of us wouldn't wanna be seen in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who hasn't had a $700 beater and loved it? Makes me wonder why I spend so much on cars sometimes.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Because they bleed you by the inch the whole time you own them.

Because they bleed you by the inch the whole time you own them.

That's part of the fun! It's like dating a chick with issues that you think you can fix but then realize she just crazy and there ain't nothing fixing that. It's all part of the experience.

That's part of the fun! It's like dating a chick with issues that you think you can fix but then realize she just crazy and there ain't nothing fixing that. It's all part of the experience.

Most folks that have a beater have it because they can't afford better. Having to drop $300 you don't have to fix something worth $700 when you could be spending that money on groceries isn't fun.

Now if you have the time and the resources to constantly tinker with something, then I could see how some folks might enjoy doing just that.

Most folks that have a beater have it because they can't afford better. Having to drop $300 you don't have to fix something worth $700 when you could be spending that money on groceries isn't fun.

Now if you have the time and the resources to constantly tinker with something, then I could see how some folks might enjoy doing just that.

Presumably the car fills a need in both cases, negatives notwithstanding.

Back in grad school when I had no money*, I splurged and bought a $400 rusted-out Tercel as a long-distance-capable stable-mate to my primary mode of transportation around town, a $900 Yamaha moped. Duct tape seals windows, old towels make great seat covers, and there is some solid programming on the AM band. Plus, if you can't afford a parking permit, walking a half-mile to your freely parked, unstealable sh*tbox is worth every penny.

The Caleb Way is good advice for managing your money! Always buy much less than you can afford...

* I can't complain too much, because Honolulu is a decent place to be single and broke in!

Edited by nsw

I've been in both situations.

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

Orioles catcher Caleb Joseph finds kindred spirit in his $700 spring training truck

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-spring-caleb-joseph-0306-20160305-story.html

Caleb is such an easy guy to root for. Glad he's an O.

Well said, 2nd favor O behind Adam Jones. He should be our starting catcher and hopefully he will be next year and many years to come.

"It's like a fine Sauvignon Blanc," Joseph said with a smile. "It gets better with age."

Being in the wine biz for 26 years, I think he meant to say Cabernet Sauvignon. Few Sauv Blancs get any better after 2 to 3 years. Come on Caleb.

• Upvote 1