weams

2016 Oriole Draft Tracker

I wonder if those guys ever try and hold out for say 20K?

I mean if they don't sign the O's lose out on that pool money so they are not entirely without leverage.

Usually, the player and the team agree to the terms ahead of time. The team agrees to select the player if they agree to sign for X amount. If a player went back on the agreement, he would only succeed in angering his future potential employer. They could make life a living hell for him. Once they sign they have virtually no leverage until they become a 6 year minor league free agent if they are not placed on the 40 man roster.

Usually, the player and the team agree to the terms ahead of time. The team agrees to select the player if they agree to sign for X amount. If a player went back on the agreement, he would only succeed in angering his future potential employer. They could make life a living hell for him.

Yes I know.

I'm speaking in hypotheticals.

Not sure how bad they can make it for the players. Don't most of these guys wash out in short order?

Ouch!

I mean good.

Dangit I hate when the high picks sign for overslot.

Glad he signed.

He was an unprotected pick. A draft eligible sophomore. Right?

Yes I know.

Not sure how bad they can make it for the players. Don't most of these guys wash out in short order?

We have several of them playing in the system years later. Kemp was one. He got a grand.

I see that Keegan Akin is bolded and it looks like he signed for slot. I just don't see a post that mentions it or can't find anything when I google it.

Yes I know.

You mean they should change their number after getting drafted? They do that, and one of two things happens: they get their extra ten grand, and they get buried at the bottom of the GCL depth chart and released as quickly as possible, or they don't get signed at all and maybe play indy ball if they're good enough. Most guys are going to take the ten grand and play affiliated ball for as long as they can.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Orioles have agreed to terms with their first round selection of the 2016 First-Year Player Draft, RHP Cody Sedlock.</p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">June 17, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No drama this year.

• Upvote 1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">1st-rder Cody Sedlock signs w/<a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> for $2,097,200 (pick 27 value). Illinois RHP, heavy 91-93 sinker to 96, good SL too. <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBDraft">@MLBDraft</a></p>— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) <a href="

">June 17, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Upvote 1

Looks like slot on Sedlock and Akin. Overslot by almost 400K on Dietz which they made up with the #9 and #10 picks and going slightly under slot on Myers (#6) and Hays?

Was hoping they could sign the #11 round lefthander but I think we would have to go over the limit to get him.

Looks like slot on Sedlock and Akin. Overslot by almost 400K on Dietz which they made up with the #9 and #10 picks and going slightly under slot on Myers (#6) and Hays?

Was hoping they could sign the #11 round lefthander but I think we would have to go over the limit to get him.

There's an extra $300k they can spend without losing anything but money. Of course, Moseley and/or Hanifee might be overslot.

There's an extra $300k they can spend without losing anything but money. Of course, Moseley and/or Hanifee might be overslot.

These are both strange cases. Moseley was relegated to a middle relief role with not a ton of success, according to the stats. One wouldn't necessarily assume he's an underslot, but maybe he's ready to start his professional career instead of spending another college season as a reliever. I'm guessing the Orioles will have an agreement with him for something underslot as soon as the CWS is over. Safe to say, the Orioles have a good idea of what Hanifee is asking. He was born in Maryland and lived here for eight years and is still a big Orioles fan. I'm not suggesting that means he'll give them a huge bargain, nor should he. But it gives me confidence he's been straightforward about what it will take to get him signed.

• Upvote 1

Anything new?

Looks like 10th round pick, senior Cody Dube has signed. Baseball America has hims signed without a bonus amount. His twitter account looks like it too.

Cody DubeProtected Tweets

@DubeCody10

Pitcher in the Baltimore Orioles Organization Mainer | Keene State