PressBoxOnline

Mike Wright Preparing In Case Orioles Need Another Starter

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well that's not how you win the 5th starter spot. His ST struggles have carried over.   Brady needs to fix his boy. 

Would be funny if he moves to the 3B side of the rubber, improves, and then gives the credit to Brady.

21 minutes ago, dan-O said:

It's time to close the book on Mike Wright as a starter, folks. He's bad. I know I've put my foot in my mouth recently calling Bundy bad, but Mike Wright really and truly is bad. The move to the 2seamer really has not worked and IMO that's the last bit of experimenting that should be done with Wright as a starter. 

Give him the Jim Johnson treatment. Keep the 2seamer, lengthen his stride a bit, and tell him to let it rip out of the 'pen. 

I agree Mike Wright isn't likely to be a successful major league starter.    I'm not sure he'll succeed in the bullpen, either, but his odds are probably better there.   I think the team just wants to preserve as many starter options as possible right now, since that's their weak spot.    They've got lots of options for the bullpen.  

If we didn't have an abundance of RH relief pieces already in the system (Bridwell, Crichton, Yacabonis, Liranzo) I'd probably be leading the charge.   It would at least be interesting to see what Wright could do exclusively out of the pen.    Maybe flip flop him and Verrett who is currently in the bullpen down there or just put Gunkel into the rotation and Wright into the pen.    I'm not sure what is to be gained by keeping Wright in the rotation down there.   He's succeeded before and not been able to translate to the majors.   No strong secondary pitches and below average fastball command.

I got a few texts today from O's friend's saying something to the effect of "Wright? WTF".

My thoughts exactly. I have seen bits of 2 of his starts and he looks like a deer in the headlights. Wright has looked bad even for Wright standards.

He needs to be moved to the bp down there. I think the O's are looking for one of these guys to get lit up, so they can pass them through waivers honestly.

Yacabonis actually deserves a promotion (not on 40-man).

Richard Rodriquez is pitching well (not on 40 man).

Tanner Scott-12 innings, 17 k's, 5 walks. I guess something has clicked (hope to see him soon at a game) (is not on 40-man, but he better be, because someone is going to pluck him in the first pick of the rule 5 next year).

Also on a side note, not sure what they see in Crighton to put him on 40-man so soon. That move puzzles me.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:30 PM, weams said:

The Orioles should give it to him. Depending on the cost, he is rested. He might give you 10-15 decent starts before he flames into oblivion.

Here's Wright'shot as a reliever. Two years ago he was called up the same day as Givens to give the pen a shot in the arm. Wright got hurt right away and Givens went on to be Givens. He'll protest be a long guy, but I see no reason he can't parlay this opportunity into a bigger role.

Wright is going to be out of options next year. I don't know how many more chances he'll be getting. It's time to produce. 

• Upvote 1

How can Wright do worse than Gausman and Ubaldo, who have ERA's of 7.50 and 7.43 respectively? 

• Upvote 1

We gave away Drake way too soon. He's got good numbers for the Brewers. He obviously was never a Buck guy. Even with averaging a k per inning he never got a good look up here.   But heck, let's keep running Ubaldo out there when it is clear that Asher has better stuff than him. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We gave away Drake way too soon. He's got good numbers for the Brewers. He obviously was never a Buck guy. Even with averaging a k per inning he never got a good look up here.   But heck, let's keep running Ubaldo out there when it is clear that Asher has better stuff than him. 

1.94 would be a good era.  However, a pitcher with a 1.94 whip does not have good numbers. 

So we reward Verrett by sending him down? Why? Bleir is fresh. I think that's disrespectful.

Anyone know how the money works? Verrett comes up and wins a game and yet he only gets paid one day at 500k and now has to back to making like less than 50k?
Each day they are in the big league would be a huge money difference right?