Sign in to follow this  
OFFNY

Super Bowl MVP's: All are Still Alive, Except for One

o

With the exception of the late Harvey Martin, who was the Co-MVP (along with Randy White) of Super Bowl XII, each and every Super Bowl MVP is still alive.

At around the turn of the century in 2000, that statistic might not have been particularly eye-popping. But it is now 2017, and Chuck Howley is 80, Len Dawson is 81, and Bart Starr is 83. And while it may not be that unusual for any single person to sill be alive in their early 80's, the sheer numbers (there have been 44 different Super Bowl MVP's in 51 Super Bowls since the first one was played following the 1966 season) combined with the fact that each and every one of them save for Martin has avoided the many possibilities that could bring about death (cancer, car accidents, heart attacks/cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, strokes, respiratory infections, tuberculosis, Cirrhosis of the liver, etc.) is pretty astonishing to me.

o

On 3/4/2017 at 0:16 AM, OFFNY said:

o

With the exception of the late Harvey Martin, who was the Co-MVP (along with Randy White) of Super Bowl XII, each and every Super Bowl MVP is still alive.

At around the turn of the century in 2000, that statistic might not have been particularly eye-popping. But it is now 2017, and Chuck Howley is 80, Len Dawson is 81, and Bart Starr is 83. And while it may not be that unusual for any single person to sill be alive in their early 80's, the sheer numbers (there have been 44 different Super Bowl MVP's in 51 Super Bowls since the first one was played following the 1966 season) combined with the fact that each and every one of them save for Martin has avoided the many possibilities that could bring about death (cancer, car accidents, heart attacks/cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, strokes, respiratory infections, tuberculosis, Cirrhosis of the liver, etc.) is pretty astonishing to me.

o

o

I found an even more astonishing comparison ........  NBA Rookie of the Year winners.

The list of NBA Rookie of the Year award winners that are still alive goes back even further than Super Bowl I. ) O.o 

Starting with the Terry Dischinger, who won the Rookie of the Year award for the Chicago Zephyrs (the franchise that later became the Baltimore/Washington Bullets, and is now the Washington Wizards) in the 1962-63 season, every subsequent NBA Rookie of the Year winner is still alive.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/roy.html

o