weams

Joey Rickard

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That struck me as funny.  On page 21 of the Joey Rickard thread you just stated that is not noteworthy.   He may not be a great major leaguer but on the OH apparently he is noteworthy.

I think the only reason that he's noteworthy is that he appears to have several tools. The problem is, like a lot of players he's never been able to put things together for an extended period of time. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

That struck me as funny.  On page 21 of the Joey Rickard thread you just stated that is not noteworthy.   He may not be a great major leaguer but on the OH apparently he is noteworthy.

Wildcard, we can do 75 pages and not be noteworthy....I don't mean to disparage Joey Rickard who has been and still could be a useful piece, I am simply noting that we will have access to Joey and similar types, but in commenting on prospects who could and honestly should eclipse his value, my point is that marginal players are needed. but we have to develop some high ceiling guys and when that happens, we will be moving in the right direction.

And specifically, I said marginally eclipsing Rickard would not be not noteworthy....not that Rickard is not.  But I am always happy to humor... :) 

• Upvote 1

No one in the minors to bring up. Stewart is leading Norfolk in batting .258, Mountcastle batting .250. Diaz is batting .258 at Bowie.

• Confused 1

Just now, Natty said:

No one in the minors to bring up. Stewart is leading Norfolk in batting .258, Mountcastle batting .250. Diaz is batting .258 at Bowie.

Is there a rule that a guy has to be hitting 300 before he can be called up?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is there a rule that a guy has to be hitting 300 before he can be called up?

Its not up to me. Who do you bring up? Hays is the only hitter I see, now that Jackson is gone. 

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Its not up to me. Who do you bring up? Hays is the only hitter I see, now that Jackson is gone. 

Stewart was hitting 235 when he was called up last year.  He had a very nice September.  Let's see what we have.

3 minutes ago, Natty said:

Hays isn't playing; he's hurt. Stewart is off to a good start.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Stewart was hitting 235 when he was called up last year.  He had a very nice September.  Let's see what we have.

Stewart's OPS is .911 

3 minutes ago, Natty said:

You are putting far too much emphasis on Jackson’s spring training stats.  He’s a career .759 hitter as a minor leaguer.    His team didn’t think enough of him to protect him, and we ultimately decided not to keep him.   I think he may be able to carve out a decent major league career due to his versatility, but I don’t expect him to be a good major league hitter.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You are putting far too much emphasis on Jackson’s spring training stats.  He’s a career .759 hitter as a minor leaguer.    His team didn’t think enough of him to protect him, and we ultimately decided not to keep him.   I think he may be able to carve out a decent major league career due to his versatility, but I don’t expect him to be a good major league hitter.    

I know. But it was disheartening to me to see him get dumped. I dont expect Mullins to be a good major league hitter, but he did bat .313 at Bowie...

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

DJ is probably the first player called up if we need an OF.  

Who do you send down? 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s amazing how Rickard has a great spring almost every year and people conclude he’s a different player.    Then the lights come on and he’s the same guy as always.   

Even in Spring Training, he swings the bat the same, sloppy way. Most of the ST hits I saw from him were fortunate to fall in. He doesn't drive the ball.

5 minutes ago, Natty said:

Who do you send down? 

May be that there is an injury to one of the five OF currently on the roster.  I'm not sending anyone down at this point.  If Mullins is still hitting under .200 in mid-May I would send him down.  Rickard can play center.