weams

Joey Rickard

2 hours ago, Thats Baseball said:

Amazing how short of a leash some posters are willing to give some of these players but players that have been here for years and not proven themselves they are willing to give opportunity after opportunity. Not even a full season yet for Mullins. When Hays was up in 17 he needed time according to these same posters that want to yank Mullins now. You may want to ask yourselves why that is. 

A guy like Hays gets every opportunity to prove that he can't play.  A guy like Mullins needs every opportunity to prove that he can.  

Might not be fair, but that's how it is.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

A guy like Hays gets every opportunity to prove that he can't play.  A guy like Mullins needs every opportunity to prove that he can.  

I mean, where’s the evidence?   The O’s never brought Hays up last year even though they’d burned an option on him, and they didn’t slate him for the OD roster even though he was one of our best hitters this spring.    Meanwhile Mullins made the team despite hitting poorly last year and this spring.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I mean, where’s the evidence?   The O’s never brought Hays up last year even though they’d burned an option on him, and they didn’t slate him for the OD roster even though he was one of our best hitters this spring.    Meanwhile Mullins made the team despite hitting poorly last year and this spring.    

I think Hays had an injury plagued season last year if I'm not mistaken.  Might have been a reason that he wasn't brought up.  And if they're going to play the clock game with Hays, he wasn't going to be on the OD roster no matter what.  

But I bet Hays gets more chances in the bigs than Mullins does whenever they feel that he's ready to be brought up.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Hays had an injury plagued season last year if I'm not mistaken.  Might have been a reason that he wasn't brought up.  And if they're going to play the clock game with Hays, he wasn't going to be on the OD roster no matter what.  

But I bet Hays gets more chances in the bigs than Mullins does whenever they feel that he's ready to be brought up.

To be clear, I do not think Hays should have been called up last year.   But I’m just wondering where your evidence is that he’s getting all these chances because of who he is.    He spent about 3 weeks in the majors after bring one of the five nominees for minor league player of the year.    That’s the only chance he’s been given so far.   

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not sure that's a sign of confidence.

Just now, Frobby said:

To be clear, I do not think Hays should have been called up last year.   But I’m just wondering where your evidence is that he’s getting all these chances because of who he is.    He spent about 3 weeks in the majors after bring one of the five nominees for minor league player of the year.    That’s the only chance he’s been given so far.   B

I said "a guy like Hays".  Not Hays specifically.  Meaning, a guy who's a highly ranked prospect, or has a high draft status gets more chances.  

That said, it looks like they're playing the clock game with Hays.  They didn't with Mullins.  Different regimes but I don't know how much that matters.  If they're going to play the clock game with Hays, I'm assuming they're going to give him every chance to prove that he belongs before cutting bait.  

One thing I think folks agree on is that Buck had favorites: guys he would endorse even if they weren’t very good/ready and other guys he’d ignore even if they were able to help the team. It’s probably why he played Some and didn’t play others.

now there are reasons for most decisions and I’ll not scream too loudly if X player stays or goes. I like Mullins, and Rickard too, but Hays and McKenna would be fine, or Santander and Stewart might be ok if the defense improves a bit.

i just hope this season clarifies who is capable of what, and the FO acts accordingly.

Mullins is up because it’s time to see what he can do. Hays has never played in AAA and is/was hurt.

Mason Williams will probably get a look soon considering he has mlb experience, is LH, and can play all three OF spots.  I think he could be another Dwight Smith type for us.  .700 OPS and decent defense.  

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Jackson got 3 at bats.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mullins is up because it’s time to see what he can do. Hays has never played in AAA and is/was hurt.

Mason Williams will probably get a look soon considering he has mlb experience, is LH, and can play all three OF spots.  I think he could be another Dwight Smith type for us.  .700 OPS and decent defense.  

But somehow it isn't time to see what Stewart can do?

• Upvote 1

o

(vs. D-RAYS, 4/18)

JOSEPMARRICKARD

JOSEPMARRICKARD

JOSEPMARRICKARD

JOSEPMARRICKARD

JOSEPMARRICKARD

JOSEPMARRICKARD

o

22 minutes ago, Natty said:

4 hits and a walk tonight including a triple and double and game winning RBI.

Rickard's career stats versus his former organization are stellar--much better than against any other team that he has close to or over 100 ABs against. O's should figure out some way (hypnotism?) to make him think he's always playing against the Rays. (BTW I think there is precedent for players using hypnotism.)

• Thanks 1