Sign in to follow this  
yark14

Beef, It's what's for dinner.

Just now, Frobby said:

How many times in the last month have I posted the Nats' record with and without Wieters?

With Wieters: 69-28

Without Wieters: 13-26

I don't think the Nats are concerned with Wieters' production.     

I don't either. Not one bit. As I said, many think his absence has devolved the pitching. 

For the record, I'm overall happy with our production at C.    I have some reservations about Castillo's defense but it's pretty hard to argue with his offense.    The overall package is worth more than what we're paying him, for sure.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For the record, I'm overall happy with our production at C.    I have some reservations about Castillo's defense but it's pretty hard to argue with his offense.    The overall package is worth more than what we're paying him, for sure.  

He'd be a pretty good DH alone. 

On 9/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/03)

NUMBER 17

o

On 9/3/2017 at 4:15 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/03)

NUMBER 18

o

o

With 2 outs and nobody on base in the bottom of the 9th inning and the Orioles trailing by a score of 7-3, Castillo hit his 3rd home run in 2 games.

o

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

How many times in the last month have I posted the Nats' record with and without Wieters?

It worked out that way, but there's no cause and effect there.  Washington won 95 games last year... without Wieters.  Put an average catcher on that team (which Wieters is) for 162 games, and they win 95 games.  That's a real talented team in a terrible division.      

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It worked out that way, but there's no cause and effect there.  Washington won 95 games last year... without Wieters.  Put an average catcher on that team (which Wieters is) for 162 games, and they win 95 games.  That's a real talented team in a terrible division.      

I don't want to oversell my own argument, because I'm fully aware that correlation does not necessarily mean causation.    Still,  the Nats are playing .714 ball when he plays -- that's a 116-win pace, not a 95-win pace.   They have a 3.53 ERA when Wieters catches, 4.61 when Lobaton catches.    My sole point here is I doubt Wieters' pedestrian OPS is much of a concern to them when they are winning at a prodigious rate when he plays.

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

That's pretty amazing. 

4 hours ago, Ruzious said:

It worked out that way, but there's no cause and effect there. Washington won 95 games last year ... without Wieters. Put an average catcher on that team (which Wieters is) for 162 games, and they win 95 games. That's a really talented team in a terrible division.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't want to oversell my own argument, because I'm fully aware that correlation does not necessarily mean causation. Still, the Nationals are playing .714 ball when he plays --- that's a 116-win pace, not a 95-win pace. They have a 3.53 ERA when Wieters catches, 4.61 when Lobaton catches. My sole point here is that I doubt that Wieters' pedestrian OPS is much of a concern to them when they are winning at a prodigious rate when he plays.

o

I suspect that there may be a mild correlation there, but I think that Ruzious' point is closer to the reality.

If I had to guess, I would say that the Nationals would be approximately a 95-win team in a bad division with Wieters behind the plate, and approximately a 90 or 91-win team in a bad division with an average catcher behind the plate.

I suspect that Wieters brings a few extra wins to a team that would have easily won their division by a double-digit margin in the first place.

I don't think that Wieters' lack of production is much of a concern to them in the regular season either, but it could become a modest concern in the postseason when they are playing only against good and/or great teams such as the Dodgers, the Astros, and the Diamondbacks.

o

Beef had his chestnuts tenderized in the 1st inning on a foul tip. He ended up leaving the game to start the 2nd with a "contusion" and went to the hospital for evaluation. No other updates yet. 

o

(vs. YANKEES, 9/15)

NUMBER 20

WELINGTON ANDRECASTILLO

WELINGTON ANDRECASTILLO

WELINGTON ANDRECASTILLO

WELINGTON ANDRECASTILLO

WELINGTON ANDRECASTILLO

WELINGTON ANDRECASTILLO

WELINGTON ANDRECASTILLO

o

Reds today announced a 4 yr/$15.5M extension with Tucker Barnhart, covering his 3 Arb and first FA seasons.  There's a $7.5M option, or $500K buyout, on FA year 2.

I'd guess the structure is about $1M/$3M/$5M Arb, and buying the FA year for about $6.5.  It's one data point for a middle class starting catcher.