Frobby

Austin Hays 2017

38 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

For the record, not a fan of this.  If we were a lock for a playoff spot, then I'd be somewhat OK with it.  I just don't see the point of starting his service clock.  We have a tough enough time with payroll and resigning our own young talent and this move accentuates that notion further.  He had better play every single day in RF otherwise this is a very shortsighted move by the FO.  

Unless, of course, Hays pushes us over the top and into a playoff spot.  Since he doesn't pitch however, I don't see that happening.

So, how does this impact his clock with the team? The alternative was waiting until next May and gaining an extra year. Do we lose that full year / plus another or just the potential for a bonus year. I apologize if this has been answered already.

2 minutes ago, TheWall said:

So, how does this impact his clock with the team? The alternative was waiting until next May and gaining an extra year. Do we lose that full year / plus another or just the potential for a bonus year. I apologize if this has been answered already.

They only needed to wait about two weeks to gain the extra year, not until May.    But if he's up the rest of this season, then they'd have to wait to mid/late May to call him back up next year to gain the extra year.   

Just now, Frobby said:

They only needed to wait about two weeks to gain the extra year, not until May.    But if he's up the rest of this season, then they'd have to wait to mid/late May to call him back up next year to gain the extra year.   

Got it. That's not as bad as I was expecting. If he can actually provide a spark -- might be worth it. Though, I'm not sure they'll exercise patience in 2018. I suppose we'll see what happens. Either way, excited to see him play.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They might even send him down when Gentry comes off the DL.

• Richard (So Cal): Where did Austin Hays rank and what did scouts have to say about the breakout year he had ?

Josh Norris: I won't give away where Hays ranked (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/subscribe/), but I will say that he was universally lauded in both leagues I did (Carolina League Top 20 coming Monday). He showed the ability to play center field but fit better in right field because of his arm but is a candidate to hit for average and power in the big leagues. Hays was among the league's elite, period.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1506001959

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some funny stuff about when he got called up.

Great interview.    This is a kid who works hard, thinks about what he's doing, and respects the game.   I loved the part where he was reliving his first home run and explained how much it meant to him that JJ Hardy had been on base and so he was the first one to congratulate Hays at home plate.   I'm really excited about Hays.

On 10/8/2017 at 0:43 PM, Frobby said:

Great interview.    This is a kid who works hard, thinks about what he's doing, and respects the game.   I loved the part where he was reliving his first home run and explained how much it meant to him that JJ Hardy had been on base and so he was the first one to congratulate Hays at home plate.   I'm really excited about Hays.

You should be. He's the best positional prospect we've drafted after the first round since Cal Ripken. He needs to still learn what pitches he can and can't hit, but he will make those adjustments. There could still be an adjustment year ahead but it 2 or 3 years he will be one of the best Orioles players on the team.