Frobby

Jake Ring: 12 for his last 17

This guy can flat-out hit. They are all solid and driven to where he wants them to go. Good fielder too. Should be in Frederick by early May. (Great for him, sad that we won't be able to watch him all year.)

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

The GCL is not a real easy league to hit in.  He also still put up a .365 OBP there so I wouldn't say he just scrapped by.  He was second in most offensive categories behind Seamus Curran (who should be swapped for Palmeiro IMO). The power is nice to see and a bit of a surprise.

If he's still doing this in May he needs to be promoted to Frederick.  

Chuck,  a 22 year old starter from a major college program should rake in that league.   There is a lot of raw teenage prospects right out of HS in that league.  The parks are big but it should be easy to put up numbers otherwise.      The fact that Billingsley went to Aberdeen and Ring went to the GCL led me to believe that Ring wasn't much more than organizational filler.   However, the news that he got 100K and his current stats certainly make it look better than that.  We'll see.    As you know, the difference in competition from the GCL to the SAL is huge.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Chuck,  a 22 year old starter from a major college program should rake in that league.   There is a lot of raw teenage prospects right out of HS in that league.  The parks are big but it should be easy to put up numbers otherwise.      The fact that Billingsley went to Aberdeen and Ring went to the GCL led me to believe that Ring wasn't much more than organizational filler.   However, the news that he got 100K and his current stats certainly make it look better than that.  We'll see.    As you know, the difference in competition from the GCL to the SAL is huge.

I'm not saying it's not a jump in competition but there are other things to consider about his time at the GCL:  Mainly small sample size and the swirling winds in the GCL parks.  Very few guys hit (well) in that league. He was also coming off of a full college season.  

I don't think that just because someone doesn't put up huge numbers in one of those rookie leagues means he can't get it done in full season ball the following year.  

As for why he started in GCL rather than Aberdeen, he was drafted in Round 31.  Don't think that means they thought he couldn't play, but there were other guys ahead of him slated for Aberdeen.  First round picks bust all the time and sometimes late round picks become a nugget.  We could have one here.  

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Ring was the only 2016 draftee to make it to Delmarva last year, be it the end of the year.  Have to agree with Chuck, teams have different ways and thoughts of where a player may be best suited for his development.  Maybe they wanted Ring to play every day and play center field, who really knows........... 

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

The GCL is not a real easy league to hit in.  He also still put up a .365 OBP there so I wouldn't say he just scrapped by.  He was second in most offensive categories behind Seamus Curran (who should be swapped for Palmeiro IMO). The power is nice to see and a bit of a surprise.

If he's still doing this in May he needs to be promoted to Frederick.  

Pretty sure he won't be "doing this" in May.   But if his OPS is still above .850 by the end of May, it may well be worthwhile to promote him.   Notably, Frederick has two outfielders who are doing well, but the other OF's aren't hitting a lick.

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ring was only 1 for 4 with a walk tonight, plus an outfield assist throwing out a runner at 1B.   

Sounds like he's a ball player.  Good organizational guy at worst in the Mike Yazstremski mold. 

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ring was 3 for 7 with a homer and a stolen base in today's doubleheader.   

And a double.   The extra base hits just keep on coming.

Ring will turn 23 on August 16th so that definitely puts his hot start in perspective. Not that I dont think he wouldnt do the same in Frederick. He'll almost definitely be getting a promotion in a few weeks if he keeps hitting like this. 

On 4/26/2017 at 10:31 AM, MDtransplant757 said:

He's going to Frederick soon

Ring had a double and a homer today and has a six game hitting streak going.    Still hitting .360 with a 1.107 OPS.   

• Upvote 1