Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bobmc

Orioles Related Photos/Memorabilia

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, bobmc said:

o

 

#POTUS watches O's/Nats, 1957

 

 

 

o

 

 

Bob, that was the Senators, not the Nationals.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2017 at 1:58 PM, OFFNY said:

o

 

 

Bob, that was the Senators, not the Nationals.

 

o

The Senators were called the "Nats", FYI.  :D  (seNATors) or short for Nationals thru 1956, but often called Nats in the WaPo.

The American League Washington Nationals/Senators (1901-1960): The team was officially named the "Nationals" until 1956 but was commonly referred to as the "Senators" beginning in 1905.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Washington,_D.C._professional_baseball

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2017 at 1:51 PM, bobmc said:

 

 

#POTUS watches O's/Nats, 1957

 

 

 

 

On 4/22/2017 at 1:58 PM, OFFNY said:

o

 

 

Bob, that was the Senators, not the Nationals.

 

o

 

4 hours ago, bobmc said:

o

The Senators were called the "Nats", FYI.  :D  (seNATors) or short for Nationals thru 1956, but often called Nats in the Washington Post.

The American League Washington Nationals/Senators (1901-1960): The team was officially named the "Nationals" until 1956 but was commonly referred to as the "Senators" beginning in 1905.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Washington,_D.C._professional_baseball

o

o

 

Thanks for that info.

They may have been referred to as the Nationals at that time, but if you are citing that franchise (The Washington Senators) now in 2017, then I think that you should at least put their actual name in parentheses, considering that they were a different franchise than the current Washington team, whose actual name is the Nationals. 

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

 

 

o

 

Thanks for that info.

They may have been referred to as the Nationals at that time, but if you are citing that franchise (The Washington Senators) now in 2017, then I think that you should at least put their actual name in parentheses, considering that they were a different franchise than the current Washington team, whose actual name is the Nationals. 

 

o

I chose to call them by their nickname - the Nats.  That is all.  The Rays are no longer the "Devil" Rays but you use that name and are "free" to do that also....;-)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

 

I chose to call them by their nickname - the Nats.  That is all.  The Rays are no longer the "Devil" Rays but you use that name.

 

 

 

OK, that's fine

The Rays are the same franchise as were the Devil Rays though (like the Bullets and the Wizards), unlike the Nationals and the Senators.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Big Men of Baseball - Baltmore #Orioles Boog Powell & Washington Senators Frank Howard at the 1969 #MLB All-Star Game (great jerseys!)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Big Men of Baseball - Baltmore <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> Boog Powell &amp; Washington Senators Frank Howard at the 1969 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a> All-Star Game (great jerseys!) <a href="https://t.co/BinY1IkGyw">pic.twitter.com/BinY1IkGyw</a></p>&mdash; Baseball by BSmile (@BSmile) <a href="https://twitter.com/BSmile/status/872979363595268097">June 9, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DB1xptWXgAEYPn8.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same all star game in DC, 1969, but jersey not pulled up on Boog and Hondo towering over Boog.  Who is to Boog's right in photo - Blair?

DFbfLagXgAAhAL6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2017 at 11:55 AM, bobmc said:

Same all star game in DC, 1969, but jersey not pulled up on Boog and Hondo towering over Boog.  Who is to Boog's right in photo - Blair?

DFbfLagXgAAhAL6.jpg

I think it is Frank Robinson

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, billw76 said:

I think it is Frank Robinson

He looks so young but the high pants work.  I though he was bigger.  I see Rod Carew and Bert Campaneris and Sal Bando?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I think it is Frank Robinson

 

12 minutes ago, bobmc said:

He looks so young but the high pants work.  I though he was bigger.  

Frank was not an imposing looking guy - spindly legs but sinewy, powerful arms.   The high, thin stirrup socks were his trademark, so that's definitely him.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2017 at 1:39 PM, OFFNY said:

 

 

OK, that's fine

The Rays are the same franchise as were the Devil Rays though (like the Bullets and the Wizards), unlike the Nationals and the Senators.

 

 

I'm really late to this discussion, but I'm sure one of the reasons the new team was named the Nationals was so that they could use the "Nats" nickname as the earlier franchises did in the past, without having to name them the Senators, a name associated with constant losing.    And anyone who lives down here and has spent time on a baseball field in the summer can tell you that the "Nats" are an ever-present nuisance!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

 

I'm really late to this discussion, but I'm sure one of the reasons the new team was named the Nationals was so that they could use the "Nats" nickname as the earlier franchises did in the past, without having to name them the Senators, a name associated with constant losing. And anyone who lives down here and has spent time on a baseball field in the summer can tell you that the "Nats" are an ever-present nuisance!

 

o

 

The Expos/Nationals actually wanted to call themselves "The Senators" when they first arrived from Montreal in 2005, but they could not because that name is currently owned by the Texas Rangers franchise.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...