Sign in to follow this  
bobmc

Orioles Related Photos/Memorabilia

7 minutes ago, bobmc said:

o

#POTUS watches O's/Nats, 1957

o

Bob, that was the Senators, not the Nationals.

o

On 4/22/2017 at 1:58 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

The Senators were called the "Nats", FYI.  :D  (seNATors) or short for Nationals thru 1956, but often called Nats in the WaPo.

The American League Washington Nationals/Senators (1901-1960): The team was officially named the "Nationals" until 1956 but was commonly referred to as the "Senators" beginning in 1905.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Washington,_D.C._professional_baseball

• Upvote 2

On 4/22/2017 at 1:51 PM, bobmc said:

#POTUS watches O's/Nats, 1957

On 4/22/2017 at 1:58 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

4 hours ago, bobmc said:

o

The Senators were called the "Nats", FYI.  :D  (seNATors) or short for Nationals thru 1956, but often called Nats in the Washington Post.

The American League Washington Nationals/Senators (1901-1960): The team was officially named the "Nationals" until 1956 but was commonly referred to as the "Senators" beginning in 1905.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Washington,_D.C._professional_baseball

o

o

Thanks for that info.

They may have been referred to as the Nationals at that time, but if you are citing that franchise (The Washington Senators) now in 2017, then I think that you should at least put their actual name in parentheses, considering that they were a different franchise than the current Washington team, whose actual name is the Nationals. 

o

45 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Thanks for that info.

They may have been referred to as the Nationals at that time, but if you are citing that franchise (The Washington Senators) now in 2017, then I think that you should at least put their actual name in parentheses, considering that they were a different franchise than the current Washington team, whose actual name is the Nationals. 

o

I chose to call them by their nickname - the Nats.  That is all.  The Rays are no longer the "Devil" Rays but you use that name and are "free" to do that also....;-)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I chose to call them by their nickname - the Nats.  That is all.  The Rays are no longer the "Devil" Rays but you use that name.

OK, that's fine

The Rays are the same franchise as were the Devil Rays though (like the Bullets and the Wizards), unlike the Nationals and the Senators.

The Big Men of Baseball - Baltmore #Orioles Boog Powell & Washington Senators Frank Howard at the 1969 #MLB All-Star Game (great jerseys!)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Big Men of Baseball - Baltmore <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> Boog Powell &amp; Washington Senators Frank Howard at the 1969 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a> All-Star Game (great jerseys!) <a href="https://t.co/BinY1IkGyw">pic.twitter.com/BinY1IkGyw</a></p>&mdash; Baseball by BSmile (@BSmile) <a href="https://twitter.com/BSmile/status/872979363595268097">June 9, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DB1xptWXgAEYPn8.jpg

• Upvote 1

Same all star game in DC, 1969, but jersey not pulled up on Boog and Hondo towering over Boog.  Who is to Boog's right in photo - Blair?

DFbfLagXgAAhAL6.jpg

On 7/23/2017 at 11:55 AM, bobmc said:

Same all star game in DC, 1969, but jersey not pulled up on Boog and Hondo towering over Boog.  Who is to Boog's right in photo - Blair?

DFbfLagXgAAhAL6.jpg

I think it is Frank Robinson

• Upvote 1

Just now, billw76 said:

He looks so young but the high pants work.  I though he was bigger.  I see Rod Carew and Bert Campaneris and Sal Bando?

14 minutes ago, billw76 said:

12 minutes ago, bobmc said:

He looks so young but the high pants work.  I though he was bigger.  

Frank was not an imposing looking guy - spindly legs but sinewy, powerful arms.   The high, thin stirrup socks were his trademark, so that's definitely him.   

On 4/24/2017 at 1:39 PM, OFFNY said:

OK, that's fine

The Rays are the same franchise as were the Devil Rays though (like the Bullets and the Wizards), unlike the Nationals and the Senators.

I'm really late to this discussion, but I'm sure one of the reasons the new team was named the Nationals was so that they could use the "Nats" nickname as the earlier franchises did in the past, without having to name them the Senators, a name associated with constant losing.    And anyone who lives down here and has spent time on a baseball field in the summer can tell you that the "Nats" are an ever-present nuisance!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm really late to this discussion, but I'm sure one of the reasons the new team was named the Nationals was so that they could use the "Nats" nickname as the earlier franchises did in the past, without having to name them the Senators, a name associated with constant losing. And anyone who lives down here and has spent time on a baseball field in the summer can tell you that the "Nats" are an ever-present nuisance!

o

The Expos/Nationals actually wanted to call themselves "The Senators" when they first arrived from Montreal in 2005, but they could not because that name is currently owned by the Texas Rangers franchise.

o