Sign in to follow this  
Elbren

Blade Runner 2049

Worried about this one.  I love Blade Runner and I don't know if it will be possible to pull of the same atmosphere/aura that made the original so good with modern effects.  

Just saw it and I loved it.  Fair warning to anyone who might be considering seeing this and expects a "fun, action packed sci fi" movie.  This is a slow moving film; especially that first hour.

Something I didn't realize until I got home was that they produced three shorts for this film.

The Washington Post gave it four stars and said it's better than the original.    I think I need to rewatch the original before seeing this.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Washington Post gave it four stars and said it's better than the original.    I think I need to rewatch the original before seeing this.  

I can't read the WIRED magazine review but it says, "Like its predecessor, 'Blade Runner 2049' reduces white women to tired archetypes and sidelines nonwhite characters".

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Like its predecessor, &#39;Blade Runner 2049&#39; reduces white women to tired archetypes and sidelines nonwhite characters <a href="https://t.co/0WtNjvKIPC">https://t.co/0WtNjvKIPC</a></p>&mdash; WIRED (@WIRED) <a href="https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/916302711309717504?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 6, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

VpUNIXUb?format=jpg&name=600x314

3 hours ago, bobmc said:

I can't read the WIRED magazine review but it says, "Like its predecessor, 'Blade Runner 2049' reduces white women to tired archetypes and sidelines nonwhite characters".

VpUNIXUb?format=jpg&name=600x314

lol That's not shocking coming from WIRED.  Sadly, in today's day and age, you're better off going to YouTube for something resembling an unbiased review on ... well, anything.  That's not a compliment for YouTuber's.  It's a sad indictment on writers for most major media outlets.  This "review", for example, has such a liberal-bias it feels like I should be reading it while sipping a latte on the campus of UC Berkeley while I cry because my mom came from another country.

It's crazy how so many media outlets today freely show their political bias (in either direction) and feel the need to interject that bias into literally everything they report on.  lol  It's a movie .. just review the movie. lol

It was very good.  But, be warned, it is very long (I knew this going in, but heard some grumbling in the bathroom after by those who didn't).  2 hours and 43 minutes. 

I saw it shortly after it came out in a theater with big and I mean BIG sound.  Highly recommend spending the extra bucks for that experience.

I agree that it was a little bit slow and maybe 20-30 minutes too long, but it had a very different narrative goal than the first one IMO so maybe a second viewing will change my mind about both. My estimation of Harrison Ford as an actor has doubled since seeing it, there's that too.

I very much intend to see it again and in the theater.  A week after I saw it and I still think about it every day.

I watched the original for the first time over the weekend. 

Obviously the standard is a bit less considering it was made back in the early 1980's, but it made me want to see the new one (my whole reason for watching it) much less.  I just wasn't impressed by the plot and really had to grind though it. 

I will still go see the new one at some point.