Tony-OH

Connolly: Just swing the damn bat Davis!

14 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Davis sucks at the moment, but I am always loathe to divine emotion or level of "give a crap" from TV....or I suspect.. from the distance of nice box seats if I ever was in one! 

I agree 100%.    Some people wear their emotions on their sleeves and some don't.     Davis is a stoic and that's fine.    I'm upset with his performance but don't question that he's trying the best he can.      

I think he's incapable of being a good hitter without his Adderall / whatever else he was taking. If he can't get a doctor to prescribe them and get the league to be ok with him using them, he's not a major league hitter. Not even close.

1 minute ago, allquixotic said:

I think he's incapable of being a good hitter without his Adderall / whatever else he was taking. If he can't get a doctor to prescribe them and get the league to be ok with him using them, he's not a major league hitter. Not even close.

We should make a sticky about this. Vyvanse, like Adderall, is an amphetamine. The difference is, Vyvanse lasts longer and is less likely to be abused for non-therapeutic reasons, making it the preferred choice of MLB and most psychiatrists, according to baseball’s medical director, Dr. Gary Green. :http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/baltimore-orioles-chris-davis-suspension-therapuetic-use-exemption-adderall-022415

Edited by El Gordo

Davis isn't a hitter. He's a hacker that happens to make contact occasionally. If you want to see a hitter look at Mancini.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

What did he take in 2015? 

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

Davis isn't a hitter. He's a hacker that happens to make contact occasionally. If you want to see a hitter look at Mancini.

Very true. Davis has a one swing approach with a large upper cut swing path. If the ball doesn't run into the bat he misses. His bat is in the zone for such a small portion of the time that his chances of making solid contact are slim. When he connects it goes a long way, but he's becom the kind of guy you give a one-year contract too and hope he connects more than he doesn't. 

Compare him to Mark Reynolds who is on a $1.5 million 1 year contract this year. Over his last 162 games, and yes I realize he's playing in Colorado, but he's slashed .277/.363/.494/.857 with 32 HR, 25 2B, 74 BB, and 180K in 647PA. He's also knocked in 105 runs.

Or compare him to Chris Carter over his last 162 games in the big leagues. Carter is currently in AAA. 

.213/.321/.448/.769 with 33 HR, 18 2B, 74 2B, 202K in 607 PAs while driving in 81.

So a guy who has been banished to AAA has been about the same as our $23 million 1st baseman who has done this over his last 162 games:
.212/.315/.420/.735 with 35 home runs, just 16 doubles, 83 BB, and an amazing 235 K's over 667 PAs (2.8K/PA). 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree 100%.    Some people wear their emotions on their sleeves and some don't.     Davis is a stoic and that's fine.    I'm upset with his performance but don't question that he's trying the best he can.      

I with you Frobby. I am disappointed with him but know he  is trying his best. 

On 8/9/2017 at 8:12 AM, Frobby said:

Actually, since returning from the DL, Davis has struck out looking far less frequently than before his injury.

Pre-DL: 95 strikeouts in 61 games, 54 swinging (.89/game), 41 looking (.67/game).

Post-DL: 33 strikeouts in 23 games, 25 swinging (1.09/game), 8 looking (.35/game).

So, the truth is, he has adjusted his game and gotten more aggressive.   But it hasn't helped his overall results.    He's ice cold right now and we'll just have to hope he heats up.

Update:  since this post, in 28 games, Davis has struck out 43 times, 26 swinging (.93 per game) and 17 looking (.61 per game).   So, he's fully back in bat-frozen-on-shoulder mode, while still striking out swinging quite frequently, too.

Anyone care to bet Chris Davis' strikeout rate doesn't get worse as he ages?  His declining bat speed has made him a guess hitter, and his bat speed certainly is likely to get even worse as he ages.

Perhaps we can trade Chris Davis to a team that is very good at stealing opponent catchers' signs, without getting caught.   :l-) This is probably his best bet for a resurgence as he ages.

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2017 at 0:15 PM, Tony-OH said:

Very true. Davis has a one swing approach with a large upper cut swing path. If the ball doesn't run into the bat he misses. His bat is in the zone for such a small portion of the time that his chances of making solid contact are slim. When he connects it goes a long way, but he's becom the kind of guy you give a one-year contract too and hope he connects more than he doesn't. 

Compare him to Mark Reynolds who is on a $1.5 million 1 year contract this year. Over his last 162 games, and yes I realize he's playing in Colorado, but he's slashed .277/.363/.494/.857 with 32 HR, 25 2B, 74 BB, and 180K in 647PA. He's also knocked in 105 runs.

Or compare him to Chris Carter over his last 162 games in the big leagues. Carter is currently in AAA. 

.213/.321/.448/.769 with 33 HR, 18 2B, 74 2B, 202K in 607 PAs while driving in 81.

So a guy who has been banished to AAA has been about the same as our $23 million 1st baseman who has done this over his last 162 games:
.212/.315/.420/.735 with 35 home runs, just 16 doubles, 83 BB, and an amazing 235 K's over 667 PAs (2.8K/PA). 

I have been saying this forever.  We can talk about meds, taking called third strike and whatever else but his swing is flawed.  This is the part that irritates me because I never see anything that looks like adjustments are being made.  He has virtually zero chance to hit a good inside fastball because of his hand load.  Chris knows by now that everyone is pitching him hard in so he tries to cheat which makes him vulnerable to any off speed pitch.  When he gets  to 2 strikes he must be thinking "stay back" to protect against the soft stuff.  We all know what happens next, fastball splits the heart of the plate for strike 3 while he stands there watching it.  That to me is all a result of him knowing he can't get to a good fastball without cheating and that doesn't get fixed without a complete overhaul of his swing.  As he ages and without a swing fix this will likely get much worse if that is even possible because reflexes slow up.  Another factor working against him for him is the evolution of bullpens and bringing out flame throwers from the 6th inning on.  

Does he want to change his swing or at this point is he capable of doing that?  I guess we have several years to find out.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2017 at 0:15 PM, Tony-OH said:

Colorado is crazy, Reynolds's .857 OPS is only a 107 wRC+. That makes him a below average offensive first baseman (114 wRC+).

Still much better than Chris Davis this year (92 wRC+), but the park adjustment is always surprising, no matter how prepared I am for it.

On August 17, 2017 at 0:15 PM, Tony-OH said:

If you were running the show, what would you do with Davis?