Sign in to follow this  
Can_of_corn

Virginia Tech Hires John Szefc

On 6/10/2017 at 7:33 PM, Can_of_corn said:

We are pouring millions of bucks into a major renovation of our field and practice facilities.   They will be better than Maryland's and competitive with most of the ACC excluding the two Florida schools.   Yes, right up there with Clemson and Virginia (and Virginia only has great facilities because that guy that writes the legal thrillers poured millions of bucks into the program while his son was a scrub on the team and a teammate of Tyler Wilson).

ACC is also a better league than the Big 10.

And our AD, Whit Babcock, has been extremely pro-active in his coach hiring in his four years on the job.   Most folks rate the Fuente hiring as the best of the new coache hires in college football last season, and I don't think anyone can dispute what a great hire Buzz Williams was 3 years ago for basketball.   He also has made excellent hires in women's basketball and women's lacrosse where both programs saw big improvement the first year immediately following the hiring.   The guy knows what he's doing.   I have not been particularly impressed with Anderson's track record as an AD at Maryland.   Sometimes having a good man at the top can make a job attractive too.

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2017 at 6:18 PM, SteveA said:

We are pouring millions of bucks into a major renovation of our field and practice facilities.   They will be better than Maryland's and competitive with most of the ACC excluding the two Florida schools.   Yes, right up there with Clemson and Virginia (and Virginia only has great facilities because that guy that writes the legal thrillers poured millions of bucks into the program while his son was a scrub on the team and a teammate of Tyler Wilson).

And our AD, Whit Babcock, has been extremely pro-active in his coach hiring in his four years on the job.   Most folks rate the Fuente hiring as the best of the new coache hires in college football last season, and I don't think anyone can dispute what a great hire Buzz Williams was 3 years ago for basketball.   He also has made excellent hires in women's basketball and women's lacrosse where both programs saw big improvement the first year immediately following the hiring.   The guy knows what he's doing.   I have not been particularly impressed with Anderson's track record as an AD at Maryland.   Sometimes having a good man at the top can make a job attractive too.

Interesting to have the background, thanks.

On 6/12/2017 at 6:18 PM, SteveA said:

Plus, not surprisingly he's getting a lot more money. 

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/This-Might-be-Why-John-Szefc-Left-Maryland-53190145