SteveA

Baltimore Colt coach Frank Kush dies at 88

He had a fantastic run at Arizona State, probably the best coach in that school's history.   (While there he coached running back Reggie Jackson, a future Oriole).   He was fired after an incident where he punched hispunter in the face after a bad punt, leading to a lawsuit.

Kush also coached in the CFL, and came to Baltimore at a low point to the franchise.   They had just gone 2-12 the year before and fired head coach Mike McCormack.   His first year we went 0-8-1 in a strike shortened season, one of only 3 winless NFL teams in the last 5 decades.   He turned it around the next year, going 7-9 (and the Colts were in contention for a playoff spot into December).   Kush was known for his tough-guy, no-nonsense approach.  

Kush also coached the Indianapolis team for part of a season.

I believe Don Shula is now the only living Baltimore Colts head coach.

On 6/22/2017 at 2:43 PM, SteveA said:

He had a fantastic run at Arizona State, probably the best coach in that school's history.   (While there he coached running back Reggie Jackson, a future Oriole).   He was fired after an incident where he punched his punter in the face after a bad punt, leading to a lawsuit.

Kush also coached in the CFL, and came to Baltimore at a low point to the franchise.   They had just gone 2-12 the year before and fired head coach Mike McCormack.   His first year we went 0-8-1 in a strike shortened season, one of only 3 winless NFL teams in the last 5 decades.   He turned it around the next year, going 7-9 (and the Colts were in contention for a playoff spot into December).   Kush was known for his tough-guy, no-nonsense approach.  

Kush also coached the Indianapolis team for part of a season.

I believe that Don Shula is now the only living Baltimore Colts head coach.

o

Howard Schnellenberger is also still alive.

I was in 3rd grade he began coaching the Colts in September of 1973.

o