glenn__davis

Zac Lowther

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I don't disagree with you - in general.  That's why I made a point of distinguishing between Lowther and the typical AA player and opened up by saying "I would agree with you about a typical wet behind the ears prospect, but I'm talking about Lowther."  I think you make a mistake by assuming each prospect should be developed the same way with the same preconceived notions.      

That is fair, and I do think it depends on the player to a degree. I’m not quite sure what you mean, though, in contrasting Lowther to a “wet behind the ears” prospect.    Lowther has comparatively few pro innings under his belt compared to most AA prospects, and it’s not like he played in a major college conference, either.   He’s thrown 242 pro innings.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That is fair, and I do think it depends on the player to a degree. I’m not quite sure what you mean, though, in contrasting Lowther to a “wet behind the ears” prospect.    Lowther has comparatively few pro innings under his belt compared to most AA prospects, and it’s not like he played in a major college conference, either.   He’s thrown 242 pro innings.

I think he's a lot smarter than the average AA pitcher as far as understanding how to pitch, and he comes across as being a mature 23 year old adult who almost seems out of place in the minors.  Batters are hitting .186 against him in AA - which is in line with the rest of his 242 innings.  His ERA is 1.96 which is also in line with his career numbers.  In 6 of his 12 (and 4 of his last 6) games this year - he's given up zero runs.   

He has performed for sure, but I still don't understand. Is there anything bad about sending him to AAA? What is gained by promoting him to the majors ASAP? 

• Upvote 1

Lol, I'm going to let this die.  I think I've said everything, and I didn't intend on doing a 1 man crusade here.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Lol, I'm going to let this die.  I think I've said everything, and I didn't intend on doing a 1 man crusade here.  

Those are the most fun.

A lot of our pitchers have good numbers but very few are showing plus control and going deep in games.  Those two things get magnified at the ML level.   Wells might not be as good a prospect as Akin/Lowther/Bauman, but he's the only one besides Sedlock deserving of a promotion IMO.  What is to be learned in the minors?  Consistency and experience.  Rather have that shown in the minors before a promotion to the majors.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Those are the most fun.

I laughed.  I'd almost watch Chris Davis bat 4 times a game... against a pitcher as good as Lowther.    

I would have said 5 times, but that would imply the O's offense was somewhat productive.  

Lowther had a good outing tonight: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K’s.    They took it easy on him tonight, as he was pulled after throwing only 65 pitches (46 strikes).   ERA at 1.95.    

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Lowther had a good outing tonight: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K’s.    They took it easy on him tonight, as he was pulled after throwing only 65 pitches (46 strikes).   ERA at 1.95.    

And I believe he did it with his eyes closed and 1 hand tied behind his back - just to make it somewhat challenging.  

Lowther lost a no-hitter with one out in the seventh today. He had eight strikeouts and no walks. Flaa gave up two runs after Lowther gave up a two-out hit. The Baysox are up 4-2 after 7.

• Upvote 1

It’s a crime that Lowther got charged with a run today.    Brilliant, dominating performance. Prior to the two-out single in the 7th, the only baserunner he allowed was on an HBP.

I think there was an error, or maybe two, but I agree. I was worried Flaa would give it away. I hate seeing our pitchers lose wins. Lowther is the first 10-game winner in AA.

I still think wins are important, and Lowther got his 11th tonight - two ahead of anyone in the Eastern League and really three ahead since Marvel, of the Pirates, moved up to AAA. He's third in the league in ERA and may be our second straight Eastern League pitcher of the year.