Sign in to follow this  
JourneyFan

Any HVAC experts here?

My 15-year-old outside unit recently had a pinhole-size refrigerant leak. It's been fixed, but I'm taking this as a warning that I should probably replace it soon. Before I start calling any HVAC companies to get quotes, and the associated pressure when they spring the sales pitch, I thought I'd try unofficial methods first, just to get an idea. With that stated, can anyone give me a ballpark (pun intended) figure for replacing the outside unit and any required parts for the inside of the house? It's a 2000 square foot town home (3 floors). If it helps, my current unit holds roughly 3-3.5 pounds of refrigerant. I don't need anything super fancy, just something efficient with a good reliability track record. I'd prefer to not replace my furnace, too, but if that's my best and/or only option then I guess that's the way the cards stack. Thanks!

Is this a heat/ac pump with a furnace setup in your cellar? If so, I got 17 years out of mine before getting everything replaced for $6400. We got three prices: one was $11,000 and the other $9,200. You have a little more area than me in my two story condo. There is a rating system I learned that runs 12-20 depending on your area. We got a 14 rating. You might need a 16. At any rate I would get three quotes, ask a lot of questions and take some notes.

I'm a HVAC man. Carrier is the best. cheap replacement parts and easy to work on. Remember r-22 is gone. So you may have to go to a 410A system in which the inside, outside and line sets must be replaced. Goodman is a cheap but good unit. Good luck my friend.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, JourneyFan said:

My 15-year-old outside unit recently had a pinhole-size refrigerant leak. It's been fixed, but I'm taking this as a warning that I should probably replace it soon. Before I start calling any HVAC companies to get quotes, and the associated pressure when they spring the sales pitch, I thought I'd try unofficial methods first, just to get an idea. With that stated, can anyone give me a ballpark (pun intended) figure for replacing the outside unit and any required parts for the inside of the house? It's a 2000 square foot town home (3 floors). If it helps, my current unit holds roughly 3-3.5 pounds of refrigerant. I don't need anything super fancy, just something efficient with a good reliability track record. I'd prefer to not replace my furnace, too, but if that's my best and/or only option then I guess that's the way the cards stack. Thanks!

I would keep the A/C until it dies. It could last many more years.

HVAC contractor here.  You already spent the money to have the leak repaired and recharged; my recommendation would be to keep going with it until it needs another major repair.  The system is nearing its end life but until it needs another $500+ repair (replacing coils/ compressor) or doesn't hold a refrigerant charge for long there's no point to changing it just because its old.  When it is time for it to be replaced I recommend getting quotes from 3 companies and don't bother looking at anything more than a 16 SEER single stage system (the base 14 SEER systems are perfectly fine too).  With a few specific brand/ model exceptions the 17+ SEER systems are much more unreliable and the parts are astronomical compared to the lower efficiency systems.  If a salesperson gives you the "you and your partner need to be present at the estimate" or "you have to sign now to get the best price" song and dance throw them out of your house.     

Edited by Anziyan

On 7/5/2017 at 7:36 PM, birdwatcher55 said:

I went with a Carrier. Some people don't like it but never had trouble with the brand. Found them to be workhorse units. Good luck.

I got 25 years out of my last AC and it was a TRANE, needed the coils replaced overtop of the furnace and decided it was best just to replace everything. They pushed Carrier and so far 4 years now, its been solid and dependable.

Ive had more problems from my furnace than my AC, circuit boards, ignitors, etc.

In the long run, I pay 25.99 a month through BGE Home, and they cover all the repair costs on my AC, Heat and some hot water heater parts, and they work 6 days a week, and usually can get them out within 24 hours of breakdown.