pdiddy

Rosenthal: O's Preparing to Sell

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Don't be so sure. Angelos may have a long memory and might not have a problem firing Duquette after the Toronto debacle, especially if he and his son have identified some talented GM personnel in waiting. Take a look at some of the successful operations out there and for certain you will find young assistants who have been instrumental in their success and are ready to take the next step and run their own operation.

The problem is talented young GMs don't want to come here.  Not with meddlesome owners.  Look what happened the last time they were looking for a GM.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The problem is talented young GMs don't want to come here.  Not with meddlesome owners.  Look what happened the last time they were looking for a GM.

Yup.   We will likely end up with Brady Anderson as our next VP of Ops/GM.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad.   Brady was a pretty good all-around player in his day.   He also seems like a pretty sharp guy.   I'm not sure how that translates into how he'd run a baseball team...especially one owned by Angelos.

33 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I don't think we know that will be the case this time, now that Duquette has shown that it's possible to have some success here.   You don't know until you try.

Just now, Frobby said:

I don't think we know that will be the case this time, now that Duquette has shown that it's possible to have some success here.   You don't know until you try.

That and people are forgetting Angelos is now nearly 8 years older than he was when Duquette first interviewed/signed on. He's now 87 years old. Some of the old guard in the administration left/fired...and the Angelos sons appear to be less hands off than their father.

4 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

That and people are forgetting Angelos is now nearly 8 years older than he was when Duquette first interviewed/signed on. 

Is Angelos aging faster than everyone else on the planet?    Duquette interviewed less than six years ago.    

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is Angelos aging faster than everyone else on the planet?    Duquette interviewed less than six years ago.    

It'll be 6 years in November.

My bad, I meant by the time his contract is up. And still off by a year. Woof. Totally screwed the years up.

12 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

My bad, I meant by the time his contract is up. And still off by a year. Woof. Totally screwed the years up.

Well, your point is still basically correct, I was just having fun with your math.    One of the big problems in 2011 was that there were certain incumbents in the organization (e.g., the Stockstills) who were considered untouchable no matter who came in as GM.   It took a while, but they're gone and there's not really a new group of untouchables, though I'm not sure about Brady.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

That's okay. Time seems to speed by.

17 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I know. A long time. But why?

I have no idea. I wish I knew too. Whatever has caused this problem I am ready for it to be fixed.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Likely means Brady Anderson is your next Orioles GM.  

That's what I am afraid of. 

3 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

There are only 32 of these jobs. This is not the Syd Thrift era. Angelos spent $160 mil on this 2016 roster and got jack in return. 

In some ways this is like the Thrift era. The AAA roster does not focus on the future, but finds veteran players looking for their last million(s) and can be ML ready. I have no proof, and could be wrong, but I think Buck prefers these seasoned players too. I don't know how far Buck is out of the PA, DD loop, but don't think it is too far. This is a bad team with some decent players. Anybody that has the illusion that Manny will sign a long term extension is crazy IMO. Get rid of anybody, keep losing and get a top 5 pick..the team needs new faces, not the current cast that refuse to adjust their game and are going through the motions. In the meantime, I'll go watch youth baseball. It is more fun.

51 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Lot of O's fans want young cheap pitching that's ready to come up.

Brault has been developing a ton. I liked him here but he has flourished thus far in Pittsburgh. Was a terrible trade but the Pirates are great at growing arms. I mean, guys like Ivan Nova, Edinson Volquez, Francisco Liriano, etc. go to Pittsburgh to get their careers back on track because of their track record.