Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Reboulet'sStache

2017-2018 College Football Predictions

Recommended Posts

With the fall camp about to get underway soon, I figured I'd try to get a discussion going on the upcoming season.  What are you predictions for conference championship games, champions, the playoffs, and national champion? 
I got:

ACC:

Coastal - Miami   Atlantic:  Clemson

Winner: Clemson

SEC:

East: Georgia West: Alabama
Winner: Alabama

Big Ten:

East: Ohio State West:  Wisconsin

Winner: Ohio State

PAC 12:

South: USC North: Washington

Winner: USC

Big 12:

Oklahoma v. Texas

Winner: Oklahoma

G5: South Florida

I got Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, and USC in the playoffs.  With Alabama beating Ohio State. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miami is "back"!   Woohoo!

For about the 10th straight year.

They have never won a single ACC title or even an ACC Coastal Division title.   They've been picked to win the Coastal about 6 times.

Pick them every year, I guess the law of averages will make you right eventually.   Maybe in 2037.

Yawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2017 at 5:14 PM, Reboulet'sStache said:

With the fall camp about to get underway soon, I figured I'd try to get a discussion going on the upcoming season.  What are you predictions for conference championship games, champions, the playoffs, and national champion? 
I got:

ACC:

Coastal - Miami   Atlantic:  Clemson

Winner: Clemson

SEC:

East: Georgia West: Alabama
Winner: Alabama

Big Ten:

East: Ohio State West:  Wisconsin

Winner: Ohio State

PAC 12:

South: USC North: Washington

Winner: USC

Big 12:

Oklahoma v. Texas

Winner: Oklahoma

G5: South Florida

I got Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, and USC in the playoffs.  With Alabama beating Ohio State. 

If Clemson can make it back to the playoffs after losing a lot of talent, that will really be a feather in Dabo's cap.   He is one hell of a coach.

Is Harbaugh ready to challenge in the B10-East?   That should be intereting.

I think Oregon bounces back.   They just need to fix some issues on defense.   Even in last year's awful season, they were still a top 25 offense.

Hugh Freeze hears the cops at the door and sneaks out the back in Oxford.   When he showed up there and almost immediately had the #1 recruiting class in the nation, it smelled pretty funny to me.

I like Charlie Strong, hope he can do well at USF.   And if Texas does win the B12, it will be with players he recruited.   It's not fair when you don't give a college football coach 4 years so he can have most of his own guys as the junior and senior starters.   If he doesn't break any rules or do something egregious, firing a college head coach after 3 years or less is just idiotic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SteveA said:

Miami is "back"!   Woohoo!

For about the 10th straight year.

They have never won a single ACC title or even an ACC Coastal Division title.   They've been picked to win the Coastal about 6 times.

Pick them every year, I guess the law of averages will make you right eventually.   Maybe in 2037.

Yawn.

1.  They did win the ACC Coastal Division won year, this just self-imposed a banning, so the second place team represented the Coastal instead.

2.  They actually haven't been picked to win the Coastal that often.  I think it's like 4 times.  Which considering most of the Coastal has sucked since Miami joined the league, that isn't a lot.  Who else was going to get picked?  UVA? Duke?   When there's only a few teams that should be picked every year, 4 or 5 times since 2004 is not a lot. 

3.  Why would what they did under Al Golden and Randy Shannon have any impact on 2017 under Mark Richt?  Because two horrible coaches were horrible, I should pick somebody else to win the Coastal?  There's no logic to that.

4.  It's not like I picked them to win the ACC and make the playoffs.  It's just the Coastal.  I get that you appear to be a VT fan and probably understand that, in terms of a program ceiling, Miami is probably your biggest threat in the Coastal.  They have won national titles and have a recruiting ceiling that VT doesn't. So there might be a lot of you convincing yourself Miami can never be good again or something because it helps secures VT's future, but dang.  It's just the Coastal.  I also predicted Texas would "be back" again, and you didn't dedicated a post to that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

1.  They did win the ACC Coastal Division won year, this just self-imposed a banning, so the second place team represented the Coastal instead.

2.  They actually haven't been picked to win the Coastal that often.  I think it's like 4 times.  Which considering most of the Coastal has sucked since Miami joined the league, that isn't a lot.  Who else was going to get picked?  UVA? Duke?   When there's only a few teams that should be picked every year, 4 or 5 times since 2004 is not a lot. 

3.  Why would what they did under Al Golden and Randy Shannon have any impact on 2017 under Mark Richt?  Because two horrible coaches were horrible, I should pick somebody else to win the Coastal?  There's no logic to that.

4.  It's not like I picked them to win the ACC and make the playoffs.  It's just the Coastal.  I get that you appear to be a VT fan and probably understand that, in terms of a program ceiling, Miami is probably your biggest threat in the Coastal.  They have won national titles and have a recruiting ceiling that VT doesn't. So there might be a lot of you convincing yourself Miami can never be good again or something because it helps secures VT's future, but dang.  It's just the Coastal.  I also predicted Texas would "be back" again, and you didn't dedicated a post to that...

I was having some fun.  The "Miami is back" thing is nearly an annual proclamation, and yes I find it amusing.  You hear it nearly every preseason.   I'm sure it will be right one of these days.

I don't think Miami's national titles mean much to recruits who weren't born when they happened.  Richt is a proven good recruiter, though he has never done as much as he should with the recruits he has gotten.

And I did talk about Texas in my other reply...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SteveA said:

If Clemson can make it back to the playoffs after losing a lot of talent, that will really be a feather in Dabo's cap.   He is one hell of a coach.

Is Harbaugh ready to challenge in the B10-East?   That should be intereting.

I think Oregon bounces back.   They just need to fix some issues on defense.   Even in last year's awful season, they were still a top 25 offense.

Hugh Freeze hears the cops at the door and sneaks out the back in Oxford.   When he showed up there and almost immediately had the #1 recruiting class in the nation, it smelled pretty funny to me.

I like Charlie Strong, hope he can do well at USF.   And if Texas does win the B12, it will be with players he recruited.   It's not fair when you don't give a college football coach 4 years so he can have most of his own guys as the junior and senior starters.   If he doesn't break any rules or do something egregious, firing a college head coach after 3 years or less is just idiotic.

Clemson didn't lose THAT much talent.  Or at least not anything that elite recruiting can't replace, outside of maybe the QB.  Clemson has finally become the program they always should have been and entered the ranks of the blue bloods.  When you're at that level, you're just stacking chips in terms of recruiting.  They are going to be far more talented than anybody on their schedule outside of FSU.  And I just don't trust FSU's OL under Trickett.  Clemson has one of the two or three best DL in the country, and I think it's going to feast on FSU's OL.  So I give the edge to them.  Outside of FSU, they will be favored in every game.  I could see them losing one to Louisville or maybe NC State, but 1 loss and an ACCC gets them back into the playoffs. 

And i disagree with giving a coach 4 years.  You can tell if you have the guy or not.  Whether the results are there or not for the first 4 years, that's okay.  But Texas is arguably the top program in college football.  They should have one of the top coaches.  And they knew Strong wasn't it.  And what will have to be done eventually, should be done today.  There's no way you tell Tom Herman, who wants to be your coach, "Sorry, we're going to give Strong another year or so.  You go coach at LSU."  Herman has the feel of the next Urban Meyer.  You have to choose securing him over Charlie Strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I was having some fun.  The "Miami is back" thing is nearly an annual proclamation, and yes I find it amusing.  You hear it nearly every preseason.   I'm sure it will be right one of these days.

I don't think Miami's national titles mean much to recruits who weren't born when they happened.  Richt is a proven good recruiter, though he has never done as much as he should with the recruits he has gotten.

And I did talk about Texas in my other reply...

Sean Taylor is still worshiped by the current football generation.   I think that is where the "Miami is back" meme comes from.  I can't even remember the last time Miami was preseason Top 25.  And they actually aren't predicted to win the Coastal that often.  For the most part, they haven't been good, and haven't been expected to be good.  But it's the constant hyping of Sean Taylor and the ESPN 30 for 30's that seem to have kept Miami more relevant than they should have been over the last 10 years.
And Richt currently has the top recruiting class in the country.  I don't think he keeps it, but it looks like they will finish at like 5ish.  He certainly should have won a few more games at Georgia than he did, but most of those games he was losing were to teams that were also bringing in elite classes.  People can argue he should have taken his Top 10 recruiting classes and beat UF's Top 10 recruiting classes more often, but UF at least had a Top 10 recruiting class.  There was no talent advantage.  It's not like Richt was losing a bunch of games to the Kentuckys and Mississippi State's of the SEC, which is about at the level most of the Coastal recruits at.  If Richt is able to bring in Top 10 classes, and nobody else in that division significantly steps up their recruiting, Miami is going to make a lot of ACCC game appearances under him.  Then you will get back into the "UF" problem though, because FSU and Clemson will also have Top 10 recruiting class talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VT fan, my uncle brought Marcus Vick in, for better or worse. 🤔 He coached at VT with his friend Frank Beamer for a few years. 

As for predictions, I'll take Tennessee to win the Sec East. The momentum from whoopin VT last year should propel them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if Ohio state can get pass Penn state or Michigan. Penn state is #6 in the pre season polls. Brian Kelly should be fired if ND is not at least 9-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio States Dline is an NFL Dline. Michigan has to replace more than OSU. 

I can't stand PSU but Barkley is fun to watch, what a freak of nature he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the noise that surrounds him, Michigan has finished 3rd in Big Ten East in both of Harbaugh's seasons.  Ohio State is still loaded, Penn State looks primed for another strong season, and Michigan lost an awful lot of talent.   

Michigan has to go to Penn State this year. Penn State will be coming off of a bye week, and has heard an earful about 49-10 keeping them out of  the playoffs last year, and it is the annual white out game for PSU.  They won't lack for motivation.  Ohio State hasn't lost to Michigan since Meyer became the coach.  Injuries and turnovers obviously can change things quickly, but going into the season it is difficult to see Michigan finishing ahead of both OSU and PSU in the division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2017 at 3:39 PM, mrbig1 said:

I'm not sure if Ohio state can get pass Penn state or Michigan. Penn state is #6 in the pre season polls. Brian Kelly should be fired if ND is not at least 9-2.

I like ND a lot this year.  I expect them to have a huge bounce back.  At least be Top 15.  Maybe even a dark horse playoff team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2017 at 0:10 PM, pbot said:

Despite the noise that surrounds him, Michigan has finished 3rd in Big Ten East in both of Harbaugh's seasons.  Ohio State is still loaded, Penn State looks primed for another strong season, and Michigan lost an awful lot of talent.   

Michigan has to go to Penn State this year. Penn State will be coming off of a bye week, and has heard an earful about 49-10 keeping them out of  the playoffs last year, and it is the annual white out game for PSU.  They won't lack for motivation.  Ohio State hasn't lost to Michigan since Meyer became the coach.  Injuries and turnovers obviously can change things quickly, but going into the season it is difficult to see Michigan finishing ahead of both OSU and PSU in the division.

To be fair, those guys had a leg up over Harbaugh in recruiting.  We haven't yet seen a Michigan team with "his" guys dominating the two deep.  But I agree, with all they lost, the order has to go: OSU, PSU, Mich. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, birdwatcher55 said:

Nobody is touching Alabama.

I wouldn't bet on that. Once they're out of the SEC they get bombed. 40+ Oklahoma, Clemson, and Ohio state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



Rumors and News






×