Sign in to follow this  
Elbren

Roster Updates/Injuries 2017 Training Camp

Roster Updates - July 21

- Campanaro put on the PUP (shocking, I know

- team signed WR Griff Whalen.  Basically a response to Campanaro still being hurt.  Whalen is a career backup.  In four years, he's only had 47 receptions, 509 yards and 3 TD's.  Last year, he had 2 catches for 22 yards.

- also signed UDFA CB Reggie Porter

We're in that slow period where nothing much really happens. :(  Pre-season games need to hurry up and get here!

On 7/23/2017 at 8:38 AM, birdwatcher55 said:

What's wrong with Campanaro now?

Bad Hangnail? Honestly, it's ashamed, but his body just can't hold up to the rigors of NFL football. I feel bad for the kid because there is talent there. 

If he could play 16 games I think he'd be a quality slot receiver. Every time he gets the ball something good seems to happen. Unfortunately he just doesn't have a body that can withstand the abuse of NFL ball like Tony said.

TE Larry Donnell signed. Would've rather had Gary Barnidge, who had 1000 yards two years ago and still put up 600 yards last year in that dumpster fire offense.

2 hours ago, Finisher said:

TE Larry Donnell signed. Would've rather had Gary Barnidge, who had 1000 yards two years ago and still put up 600 yards last year in that dumpster fire offense.

I really hope signing Donnell instead of Barnidge is a sign that they still have hope they'll sign an O-lineman.  I'm absolutely shocked that the team hasn't had RT Austin Howard in for a visit.  He was cut last week.  

TE Crockett Gillmore and CB Maurice Canady both suffered "potentially significant knee injuries" on Friday.  Ian Rapoport has said that Gillmore is set to have surgery on his meniscus on Monday.  It doesn't say how much time he'll miss, but I'm assuming that's what prompted the Donnell signing.

Feels like we had a ton of TEs a couple months ago. And then Pitta was done. Gillmore now done. Waller suspended the year. Maxx Williams looks awful apparently. Ben Watson coming off injury. I'd still sign Barnidge if he doesn't cost much.

A few years ago after having a lot of injuries the Ravens blamed the field material and replaced the field.  Now in two weeks the Ravens have had two major knee injuries.  What to blame now.

I dont know the context of these injuies, I'm just saying maybe you look at the coach who is known to run pretty gruelling practices?

It also doesn't help that this team keeps putting faith in guys that seem perpetually injured.  It shouldn't shock anyone to see names like Pitta, Campanaro or Gillmore on an injury report.  I'm just shocked that Taliaferro isn't on that list yet.

As for the TE situation, I'm not sure what to say.  I still don't understand what the point is to holding onto so many of these guys, especially when we've gotten such little sustained playing time out of them.  Seems like they all continue to have major/season-long injuries, career-threatening injuries or keep getting suspended.  We could have literally cut bait with ALL of these guys this off-season and actually saved money in the long run.  I wasn't one of the guys beating that OJ Howard-drum, but it really is hard to justify passing on him when our TE situation is as ridiculous as it is.  Even if we didn't take Howard, there were quite a few FA TE's this off season.  It's not like we had to spend serious money on one since we signed Woodhead.  

News coming out that Maurice Canady, who could have been starting slot corner, injured his knee.  That's three major knee injuries in the first week.  Someone needs to figure this out.  Is it the surface, conditioning or rigor of practices?

LOL at Perriman hurt already.

Flacco was bad enough last year. Bad back Flacco could be comically bad behind our paper thin line and without safety valves Pitta and SSS.

I'm glad Pitta is gone, even as much as I loved watching him back before the injuries. He had to have the lowest catch/first down ratio in the league last year. Certainly for someone who caught as many passes as he did. There's a reason he caught 86 passes... teams knew he wasn't getting any YAC so him catching a ball 6 or 7 yards downfield on 3rd and 10 was basically a turnover.