Sign in to follow this  
backwardsk

Favorite Netflix Originals

Just watched the first episode of Ozark last night.  What are your favorite Netflix shows?

I've really been into:

Orange is the New Black

Making a Murderer

Stranger Things

House of Cards (though it's getting rediculous, haven't seen the newest season)

GLOW

Master of None

Love

Bloodline (cool premise, but also rediculous.  Trying to finish the last season)

Meant to add Narcos and Friends from College.

I think Stranger Things is my favorite, so far.  I've heard Marco Polo is fantastic as long as you ignore the actor who plays Marco Polo. lol  Apparently, the entire cast is good and the guy who plays Kublai Khan steals the show, but the main actor is very forgettable.  I also want to watch The Last Kingdom and Medici: Masters of Florence, but I haven't had the time.  I never really got into House of Cards or Orange is the New Black.

If you asked me a year ago, I may have said Netflix's various Marvel series.  Unfortunately, with each new season, it seems like I'm becoming less and less of a fan.  I'm at the point where I still haven't watched Luke Cage and I have almost zero interest in the upcoming Defenders series.  I'm still holding out hope that the Punisher will be good.

Stranger Things is my favorite. I also enjoy OITNB, Master of None, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, plus the Marvel series -- Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage (I didn't watch Iron Fist because the reviews were terrible).

Ozark is far and away the best thing Netflix has produced in my opinion.  I had no idea Jason Bateman had dramatic chops, and he legitimately blew my mind with his performance.  For anyone who's a fan of great acting, Ozark is a must watch.

On 7/23/2017 at 4:07 PM, Elbren said:

I think Stranger Things is my favorite, so far.  I've heard Marco Polo is fantastic as long as you ignore the actor who plays Marco Polo. lol  Apparently, the entire cast is good and the guy who plays Kublai Khan steals the show, but the main actor is very forgettable.  I also want to watch The Last Kingdom and Medici: Masters of Florence, but I haven't had the time.  I never really got into House of Cards or Orange is the New Black.

I finally got around to watching Marco Polo.  I just finished the first season and I'm about to start season 2.  This is actually a really good show, but I think a lot of the reviews I read were wrong about the main actor.  The problem isn't him, it's the writers.  They give him almost nothing to do.  Pretty much every scene he's in, there's always another character there with a far more entertaining story/character arc to steal the show.  They're all dealing w/ a potential coup, assassination attempts, conquests of southern China, etc.  Meanwhile, the title character of the show spends most of his time either moping around or chasing a silly, clichéd love story.  He disappears, not just for extended scenes, but almost for entire episodes. At least it seems like it, which is almost as bad.  There isn't much point to a point-of-view character if the viewer goes extended periods without seeing him or doesn't care about what he's doing.

I honestly can't shake the question of why this show wasn't just called Kublai Khan.  Cut out all of Marco Polo's scenes in Venice and his travels.  Start the first episode w/ the scene of Polo, his father and uncle entering Khan's court.  Use him as a PoV character for only a few episodes to introduction the viewer to this world, characters and politics in it and go from there.  The more we learn, the less we need to keep seeing Polo.  He doesn't need to disappear, just fade back into equal time with the rest of the ensemble cast.  Using him as the title character creates un-needed expectations.  The audience assumes that he's always going to be at the center of things, so the writer(s) have to find ways to shoehorn him in to scenes; whether he fits into them or not.  The love scene with Khutulun that literally goes nowhere, the clichéd love story with Kokachin, anything involving his father & uncle after the first episode ... all of this could be edited out and the show would lose nothing.  In fact, it would probably flow a lot better.

Definitely House of Cards, but agree it's not what it was. Narcos has been good. Anyone watch Atypical? Pretty funny stuff and some people in the know say it's an accurate portrayal of someone in the spectrum.

On 9/28/2017 at 5:44 AM, Il BuonO said:

Very well done.

Thank you.  I hooked my sister on it.  It was simple, she is fascinated with English history. :D