Grt 2BA FL Gator

Anyone else open to the idea of extending Manny?

Is anyone else open to us paying for Manny?   

69 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Extending Manny

• Yes, he is a future HOF with many productive years left, and possibly the best 3B of all time
    • No, his contract will limit us for years to come
    • No, we have more needs than just Manny, it's worth the risk to get multiple prospects back
    • No, and part of why I say no is we have already missed the window to extend him. I don't expect us to make a real offer and I hope we can at least get something back for him

Context for poll:

I have usually been on the trade Manny train. I may be caught in emotion at current of the incredible plays he made today, but the guy plays 3B like no one else and I will miss him if/when he goes. 

It made me think, could it be worth it to try to build around him? We have tons of money coming off the books 2018 and if ever there was someone to give a big contract it would be home grown, Manny Machado who has many years of production left. 

some of the best defensive clutch plays Ive seen all year happened on Monday night and almost all came from Manny. I'd like to see the Orioles sign him to a 5 -7 year deal with options....It might take 210 million, but I think he will leave for FA and I fear he will sign with Boston, NY or the Dodgers...

7 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

some of the best defensive clutch plays Ive seen all year happened on Monday night and almost all came from Manny. I'd like to see the Orioles sign him to a 5 -7 year deal with options....It might take 210 million, but I think he will leave for FA and I fear he will sign with Boston, NY or the Dodgers...

I don't think Boston, NYY or the Dodgers will be in contention for him. We'll see by this time next year. 

Pay the man! Sign Manny for as much as Big Peter will bite off! Then sign Schoop! I hate to be so cynical to say it but Jon will come much cheaper if Manny is locked up.

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Pay the man! Sign Manny for as much as Big Peter will bite off! Then sign Schoop! I hate to be so cynical to say it but Jon will come much cheaper if Manny is locked up.

Then sign Britton. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Then sign Britton. 

Nah. Too expensive. Mychal Ma Belle will be his replacement.

Just now, scOtt said:

Nah. Too expensive. Mychal Ma Belle will be his replacement.

Corn taught me this. And DD dumping Jim Johnson...

You left out the possibility that Manny may not want to play in Baltimore in the future. He may indeed want a city with brighter lights that give him more possibilities for additional revenues outside baseball. I believe he'll follow in his mentor's footsteps and go to a team with more national exposure. He'll say the right things...I want to stay, it's out of my hands.....they all do.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I don't think Boston, NYY or the Dodgers will be in contention for him. We'll see by this time next year. 

Obviously Boston has their own young 3Bman so they probably won't be looking to sign him. Who will NYY and LAD have?

With Jimenez, Miley, Kim, Smith, Hardy, and potentially Tillman and Britton all coming off the books next year (or after 2018 for Britton), I would say you gotta try to lock up Manny and Schoop for matching contracts (in duration). Give Manny deferred money if you have to. Hopefully 8 years for each of them at least. Then hope that some of our other position players and SPs come up and actually make a difference in the next 2 years. 

I see plenty of payroll opening up for a deal this winter. But if he's not locked up by the start of Spring Training, he's as good as gone, and you probably have to dump him at the first sign of sinking next year. 

EDIT: Forgot Castillo, who should also be gone. That's $54.75M coming off of the books. Even if Manny is making $30M right away (which I kind of doubt; I'd try to structure it so he's making more once Britton and Trumbo are gone), that's enough to give Schoop a nice bump up, too. I know we still have to field a 25-man roster, but Hays/Yaz/Cisco/etc are going to be as cheap as they come. Maybe you have to get a veteran arm for the rotation (which might even be Tillman on a cheap prove-it deal if he shows some signs of life down the stretch), but nothing more than $6-8M or so per year. And who knows what young arms might be ready 8 months from now. 

I think just about everyone on this site would want to extend Manny here if we thought it possible.

Unfortunately even Duquette himself has hinted at it being unlikely at this point...........so we are left with that reality and therefore we have to really hope that we don't just let him walk.

• Upvote 1

There has to be a price point for him to accept a 2-3 year extension that would guarantee him enough money right now to set himself and several generations up for life. Then hit the market at age 28 or 29 for an even bigger payday. If things play out, he could actually earn more money that way than one 10-12 year deal.

That said, DD has no incentive to get this deal done. He and Buck are set up to win through 2018 and worry let 2019 and beyond be somebody else's problem.